Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Canadian TCM Viewers - FYI

RMeingast

Howdy...

Wasn't sure where to post this but decided this thread was the best place, I guess...

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 *Canadians viewers of TCM will see "North by Northwest" at 10:30 p.m. instead of "Rebecca" and Canadians will see "The Gazebo" at 1:00 a.m. instead of "Notorious."*

The 1949 Fitzpatrick short *"Ontario: Land of Lakes" is on at 12:47 a.m.*

This one starts in Ottawa and covers Northern Ontari-ari-ari-o before heading to Hogtown and then ending up in Niagara Falls...

FYI for Canucks...

I absolutely don't get this. I can't believe there are rights issues over those very well-known and common Hitchcock films. I mean, I own all those titles on DVD.

So, I know for a fact that they're readily available for purchase in Canada.

It's not a huge loss, at least for me, because these films are so easy to see, one way or another. And I've seen all three of them ( Rebecca, Notorious, North by Northwest ) many times.

But it's just so friggin' strange. Doesn't make sense.

I've said this before and I'll say it again- I'll never understand this "rights" business. Especially because I think there's very little money to be made for anyone when it comes to old movies, so who cares?

Is the Friendly Giant still with us? I remember him as a kid. Rush just got into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame so things can be so bad up north. On a non facetious note the whole movie right thing does sound silly. I'm also a little concerned about the CBC cutting their late night movies to roughly once a week. You have an interesting movie industry and I'd like to see more of it.

Edited by: sfpcc1 on Jun 26, 2013 5:56 PM

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}Is the Friendly Giant still with us? I remember him as a kid.

"The Friendly Giant" was cancelled in 1985 and Robert Homme went to the big castle in the sky in 2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Friendly_Giant

An interesting fact about this show is that it began on radio and TV in the United States before moving to Canada and the CBC in 1958...

Homme was an American but after moving to Canada he became a Canadian citizen too (held dual citizenship)...

The show was notable for its opening and closing:

(The music is an old folk tune "Early One Morning":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_One_Morning )

Bit surprised my reference to "A Place to Stand, a Place to Grow" (Ontari-ari-ari-o!) didn't get your brain cells reminiscing:

The short film that featured the above tune won an Oscar in 1967:

Anyway, FitzPatrick's Traveltalk on at 12:47 a.m. was made in 1949 and so we get stuff like "The Maple Leaf Forever":

(No, in FitzPatrick's short NOT sung by A. Murray in the old Maple Leaf Gardens... That's just an example...)

I don't feel we pay all that much. TCM is included in a package of televison stations that my cable provider offers. It's well worth it, anyway, just to get Turner Classic Movies.

ps- I don't stay in hotels very often, but when I do, when I'm making the reservation, I always ask if they get TCM. But the booking receptionist almost always has never heard of TCM and has no idea whether it's included in their televison station choices or not.

It almost never is. :(