Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did I fall asleep at the end of "Born to be Bad"?

jkgibb

I watched "Born to be Bad" this morning on TCM. I don't know if I dozed off...as the movie was ending, I saw Joan Fontaine load up her car with furs after being given one week by Zachary Scott to vacate their house. She was asked to return the key. The final scene shows the artist changing the price on her portrait, which is displayed in a gallery window, from $250 to $500.

Both the TCM synopsis and Wikipedia synopsis have Joan's character getting into a car accident, starting up a romance with the surgeon, etc. I DO NOT RECALL SEEING ANY OF THIS! Did I fall asleep at the end of the movie or was some footage cut out? How does this movie really end?

The IMDb notes:

The film had two endings. Director Nicholas Ray raised the issue of a director's right to final cut, and at this time the collective contract with directors did not stipulate this right.

DVD Savant notes this in its review of the Warner Archive DVD:

Born to Be Bad has a special treat that Nicholas Ray's fans will want to see, an alternate ending. The Production Code objected to a long kiss between Fontaine and Scott. The kiss appears to have been left intact but problems arose with an original, slightly longer ending that shows Christabel doing quite well seducing a wealthy doctor and lawyer. Each time her name hits the gossip headlines, Gobby raises the price on his now-valuable portrait of the notorious climber. Howard Hughes again delayed the release, so that Ray's next film In A Lonely Place came out first. Hughes saved the original ending of Born to Be Bad for use on foreign prints.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3982ray.html

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings