Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COMCAST- UNIVERSAL AND PRE'48 PARAMOUNT FILMS

cody1949

Since Comcast is now the owner of Universal Pictures and therefore has control of the old Universal and pre'48 Paramount features, why don't they start their own movie channel or showcase these films on their Xfinity service. They could even charge us $2.99 per view. Surely there is a ton of films to view. Fox has their own movie channel. Any feedback would be welcome.

Hi Cody and Markbeckauf!

Thanks for the update! This subject has been the topic of a number of threads here over the years, and the frustration of classic film fans is palpable. Universal has been sitting on top of a major chunk of America's classic film legacy, allowing these films to rot in the can and leaving them unreleased.

Writing to them has produced no response. I distinctly sensed no interest on their part in the issue. I suggested to them that they sell or partner with qualified third parties regarding restoration and release, including possibilities like pay per view downstreaming. I even mentioned to them that they could just donate the films and get a nice tax write off! Holding on to them in storage just incurs costs. All of these are reasonable points, but I got the feeling that it was like talking to a brick wall.

Such an impasse called for third party intervention. either in the form of a potential deep pocket purchaser, or a new corporate ownership team. Mark's suggestion that we write to Comcast is spot on! I'm going to do it. I'm done writing to Universal; been there done that.

In most countries, especially like France or Germany where they take history and culture very seriously, such pointless hoarding and retention of a large and substantial bloc of the country's classic film artifacts would amount to a scandal and lead to public outrage!

speakthelma.gif

Hi Hibi,

I sprung into action on this issue (as I have a number of times in the past), went onto the Comcast corporate site and found a person in charge of video production and release. As I am not sure they are the right party to contact within their hierarchy regarding this, I will withhold the name and contact information for now. Below is the bulk of a letter I wrote:

*"I'm reaching out to Comcast on the corporate management level, to inquire about the future utilization of a large horde of unreleased classic films from the 30's, which Universal Studios has had for decades and has not released. As I have heard that Comcast has acquired Universal, I wanted to bring this to your awareness, or possibly you could refer me to someone else within management who would be closer to this issue."*

*"I have written to Universal before, but have gotten no response. I prefer at this point to talk to Comcast."*

*"Sometime in the 1940's, Universal acquired a large cache of Paramount produced films from the 20's and 30's.. The vast bulk of these films have remained unreleased in a current video format., or are even absent from any cable or TV release."*

*"I have made a number of suggestions to Universal. These films deteriorate over time. Holding on to them for decades, without commercial exploitation just incurs storage and insurance costs."*

*"1)If they don't wish to restore and distribute, sell or partner with a qualified third party for such purpose.*

*2)Donate the films and get a nice tax write off.*

*3)Consider pay per view downstreaming rental or sale, as the DVD market is declining.*

*4)License release for TV and cable.*

*5)If the restoration costs are onerous, appeal for public support on cultural grounds."*

*"Bottom line, don't let these films sit and the can rotting, unseen by anybody. They are an important part of America's cultural, historical and film legacy!"*

It might be a trial and error process to find out the right and responsive party within their large company to address these concerns to, but I'll keep trying. It might take an actual letter (rather than an email) to get a response.

It would be so much easier if anybody who was a somebody within the film industry to take up this cause and make a few inquiries of their own. They would have access and stand a better chance of getting a hearing.

> {quote:title=ThelmaTodd wrote:}{quote}Hi Cody and Markbeckauf!

>

> Thanks for the update! This subject has been the topic of a number of threads here over the years, and the frustration of classic film fans is palpable. Universal has been sitting on top of a major chunk of America's classic film legacy, allowing these films to rot in the can and leaving them unreleased.

>

> Writing to them has produced no response. I distinctly sensed no interest on their part in the issue. I suggested to them that they sell or partner with qualified third parties regarding restoration and release, including possibilities like pay per view downstreaming. I even mentioned to them that they could just donate the films and get a nice tax write off! Holding on to them in storage just incurs costs. All of these are reasonable points, but I got the feeling that it was like talking to a brick wall.

>

>

> Such an impasse called for third party intervention. either in the form of a potential deep pocket purchaser, or a new corporate ownership team. Mark's suggestion that we write to Comcast is spot on! I'm going to do it. I'm done writing to Universal; been there done that.

>

>

> In most countries, especially like France or Germany where they take history and culture very seriously, such pointless hoarding and retention of a large and substantial bloc of the country's classic film artifacts would amount to a scandal and lead to public outrage!

>

>

>

> speakthelma.gif

>

Universal is the same outfit that won't release any of composer Oliver Nelson's first-rate music to *The Six Million Dollar Man*. p.s. I think the dame with the tick is right. :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings