Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Quiet Man...a musical?

Interesting article but I think the reviewer is reducing a rousingly great movie/entertainment into some kind of political Bolshevikian diatribe that was never intended in the first place. Reading far, far, far more into Ford's movie than Ford intended. Beautiful film intended to help people forget the ravages and far flung horrors of WW2. To help us to believe in life, love, and beauty again in a world that had gone mad since 1914. Wasn't a musical but a symphony of peace and beauty on the silver screen.

I think the article does explain that ford set up a world that usually exsists only in musicals. It shares the same exact qualities of a musical as the conflict is about courting a love interst and the community allows friendliness, reminds me of An American in Paris (that film too diswons money). The only thing it is missing is the songs. But a film like The three penny Opera has singing and I wouldn't consider it a musical but a new objectivity melodrama to the liking of the rest of Pabst's works.

Edited by: Iamhere on Jun 28, 2013 11:55 AM

• 3 weeks later...

The Quiet Man was done as a musical play back in May 18, 1961. Music and Lyrics by Johnny Burke. It starred Eddie Foy, Art Lund, Joan Fagan and Philip Bosco to name a few. Unfortunately it didn't run long. The Irish Rep Theatre did a revival early in 2012 and it had a better reception the 2nd time around as a revival.