Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1940 was a good year too. :)

FredCDobbs

The Academy Award nominations for 1940 films were announced in 1941. Compare this list to modern films and modern Academy Award nominations:

Best Picture

WINNER:

Rebecca: (Selznick International Pictures)

NOMINEES:

All This, and Heaven Too: (Warner Bros.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foreign Correspondent: (Walter Wanger)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Grapes of Wrath: (20th Century Fox)

The Great Dictator: (Charles Chaplin Productions)

Kitty Foyle: (RKO Radio)

The Letter: (Warner Bros.)

The Long Voyage Home: (Argosy, Walter Wanger)

Our Town: (Sol Lesser)

The Philadelphia Story: Joseph L. Mankiewicz (M-G-M)

While I fully realize that we wouldn't have a movie IF Fontaine wasn't the meek and timid sort, what I wouldn't give to see her...FIRST, tell that old nasty biddy she was hired to travel with to, "Go %#$&! off" after said nasty biddy is told that she and Max are going to get married...and SECONDLY, once she meets her housekeeper to tell HER somethin' like, "Why the long face here, lady? C'mon, lemme see ya smile! C'mon, I KNOW you can do it if ya just give it a SHOT!"

(...yep, what I wouldn't give to see THAT!)

LOL

Here are all the 1940 films that were nominated:

http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000003/1941

I think TCM has shown all but a couple of these film.

There were 17 nominations for Best Original Score. And 9 additional nominations for Best Score (I suppose that was music not specifically written for those films). 9 nominations for Best Song. A total of 35 nominations for Music that year.

With films like this, it's no wonder everyone went to the movies in the old days.

...it's no wonder everyone went to the movies in the old days.

You were very fortunate babes', to have seen all or most of these movies in the old days. I would have loved to have seen them on the 'big screen', especially REBECCA and THE LETTER , both of which are some of my favourite movies.

I have never seen OUR TOWN but would love to see it. Do you know if it has ever been shown on TCM ? :)

Twink

With films like this, it's no wonder everyone went to the movies in the old days.

It was that, and the dishes. They kept you coming every week for a different dish that was given away that night. If you missed, you were out one sugar bowl or a plate or a cream pitcher. It was essential to get the set.

When I married a widower late in life and moved to his place in Maine for the summers, I inherited a house full of dishes and everything else. We were starting it up as a B&B, and I was using a particularly adorable set of dishes as our breakfast china. One day a sister was visiting, and I showed her the dishes. She said, "Oh, I have that set!" and we went on to chat about the rest of the things. Then a few weeks later another sister came to visit, and said, "Oh, I have that set!" I said, "Does everybody in New England have that set?" She said, "Probably; they gave the pieces away with Rinso back in the old days." It turned out my husband and his wife and their seven children had used it as special china for Thanksgiving and Christmas ... I've seen the pictures ... and over at the Chicken Barn antique store they were selling it as antiques (which made ME feel swell) a piece at a time. The set consisted of one huge serving plate with a picture of a farmhouse kitchen, and a hearth, and an oaken bucket, and stuff like that. Each piece, like the cups and saucers and plates, had a picture of something from the serving plate and it was perfectly wonderful. I gave it back to the family when he died. It was special to them.

And EVERYBODY had a Shirley Temple blue glass pitcher with her picture on it. That came in a box of soap powder. Right IN the box.

By the time a few years had rolled on, they were still using things to lure customers, like encyclopedias and records, but now you had to pay something for them

My Mom used to have a few old dishes she said she got when she went to the movies. Don't know whatever became of them. But I DO remember being told about the "dish give-aways" at movie houses.

The only thing I remember that comes close is the getting towels in boxes of detergent. DUZ, I think, were one of the brands. Can't imagine how much room for soap there was after making room for the TOWEL!

Sepiatone

I can't say I remember the dishes, but what I do remember when I was a very little girl, that little dolls would come in boxes of detergent, I think it was detergent. I remember being so excited when those little dolls would show up. Dothery, about what year did they stop those dishes in movie theaters?

Probably around the end of the second world war. We had them through the war, I remember. This is from a site about dish night:

"In one theater, a shipping debacle resulted in the successive repeat giveaway of gravy boats. On the fifth gravy boat giveaway, the women revolted! They threw gravy boats at the theater owner in protest."

A lot of people are blogging their memories of those times and you can locate several places by googling "Dish Night," or "Dish Night at the Theaters." Too many to post here but they're really important reminiscences by the writers. Very sweet.

Dothery, Thanks So Much for the information. I will check out the websites. That memory of those little dolls is precious to me. Thanks for reminding me. The story of the dishes given away in movie theaters is so interesting, So happy you're on site to share all your fascinating memories and experiences.

Oh, you're most welcome ... I love passing on my memories to younger people who weren't around when the high old times were going on. I remember almost all of it ... my brother asked me the other day, "Don't you forget ANYTHING?" and I replied "It's a curse." And it is that, too. But I really like remembering the fun things.

I particularly love remembering the things my kids said and did when they were little. When my daughter was in kindergarten, I asked her what they did in school that day. "We sang a song," she said. "It was about pants and birdies." I was a little mystified, but I said, "Pants and birdies? Cam you sing some of it?" and she sang, "Sing a song of six pants ..."

I remember she was a little confused by it; she said there were four-and-twenty birds, but only six pairs of pants ...

Life is tull of good things, but memories are the best of all. They're priceless.