Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Exes Working Together

Terrence1

There are many examples of married couples working together in the movies. Also, there are many cases of two actors working together who eventually went on to being married. But I find it fascinating when two actors work together after their dfivorce. Three that I can think of are Stanwyck and Taylor in "The Night Walker", Ray Anthony and Mamie Van Doren in "The Beat Generation", and Jeffrey Hunter and Barbara Rush in "No Down Payment." And, if you want to get into television, Michele Lee and James Farentino made a TV movie together about (what else?) divorce. Any others that come to mind?

Terrence.

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}A little film called "My Man Godfrey," starring William Powell and Carole Lombard. Also, didn't Henry Fonda and Margaret Sullavan team on screen after their divorce?

Yes I think so...and Fonda and Sullavan's divorce, unlike Powell and Lombard's, wasn't exactly amicable.

What about people who didn't marry but had dated, (went out, had a relationship etc.) Woody Allen and Diane Keaton made Manhattan Murder Mystery after their relationship ended. She also had a small part in Radio Days If you switch to TV Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki from The Big Bang Theory dated but broke up. Joanie And Chachi, (Erin Moran Scott Baio) also used to date while Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi were going on. On an unrelated note Chachi is the Korean word for ****.

Edited by: sfpcc1 on Jun 27, 2013 4:14 PM

If you go outside movies and into the the world or Music you can find several examples of exes working together: Fleetwood Mac, (You know the couples) Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship, (Grace Slick Paul Kanter) X, (John Doe Exene Cervenka) and Richard and Linda Thompson.

Gotta say it's probably HIGHLY doubtful that Kim Basinger and HER Ex(YOU know, the hot-head who doesn't like his picture being taken AND who used to co-host "The Essentials" around here) will ever be in a movie together again!

(...though I suppose ya never KNOW, huh!)

....speaking of Margot, Blu....have you ever seen her sister on the News ? She's supposedly Head of the School Board or something like that in Toronto and is on the news from time to time. Everytime I see her, I do a double-take, she could be Margot's Twin, they look so much alike !

Charlie Sheen's Ex Denise Richards has been on his recient show Anger Management. She was also on Two And A Half Men but I don't know if they were married at the time? On an unrelated note he just got his co star Selma Blair fired for calling him lazy.

Edited by: sfpcc1 on Jun 27, 2013 9:21 PM

>That depends - what does Kim look like now? She hasn't turned a Margot Kidder or anything, has she?

Well dark, if ya wanna be all 'SHALLOW" about that here ;) ...then here's the latest pic I could find of Kim.

kim_basinger_2211787.jpg

(...and if ya ask ME, I think she's holdin' up pretty darn well!)

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote: }{quote}... Also, didn't Henry Fonda and Margaret Sullavan team on screen after their divorce?

Yes, Fonda and Sullavan co-starred in THE MOON'S OUR HOME (1936) about four years after their very brief marriage ended when Sullavan began an affair with Broadway producer Jed Harris. In his excellent autobiography, Fonda sadly described standing in a New York street, looking up at an apartment window and knowing that Sullavan was there with Harris. As someone else has noted, it wasn't exactly an amicable break-up, so I'm surprised that they managed to work together later.

(Sullavan also made some very good movies with Fonda's closest friend, Jimmy Stewart, whom she had also known during their salad days back in New York. Sullavan apparently worked hard to help Stewart get the good roles that would make him a star, and the two of them certainly made a good on-screen team, as movies like THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER and THE MORTAL STORM show. Sullavan and Stewart were also neighbors and friends off-screen, but that didn't affect the Stewart-Fonda friendship -- the two men remained close friends, even despite serious political differences that they agreed not to discuss, until Fonda's death in 1982.)

Anyway, I've wanted to see THE MOON'S OUR HOME since Bill Murray highlighted it during his interesting interview with Elvis Mitchell on TCM. TCM hasn't, to my knowledge, ever shown this Paramount picture, even though it would have been a natural follow-up to Murray's "Under the Influence" interview. Bill really made it sound like a very good movie, so I hope TCM gets it some time.

Edited by: BingFan on Jun 28, 2013 11:01 AM

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}Jack Webb cast ex wife Julie London in a starring role in Webb's tv series, *Emergency* .

Good example! Jack Webb also cast Julie London's current husband, songwriter and jazz pianist Bobby Troup, in *Emergency!* with her, and used Troup several times in his 1960s *Dragnet* revival and his *Adam-12* series.

Webb was a passionate jazz fan, so I'm not completely surprised that he might have been friendly with Troup as well as his ex-wife London, both of whom had been heavily involved in the music world. (Troup wrote "(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66," among many other songs, and was, like London, a recording artist, although not as successful as her.)

There was an interesting web tangling going on in the filming of THE BIGAMIST. It was directed by and stars Ida Lupino, who had been married to the producer/writer Collier Young who was now married to her co-star Joan Fontaine.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings