Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please tell me more lovely things about Charles Boyer

In another thread, several posters related tidbits about how much Joan Fontaine enjoyed working with Charles Boyer because he was kind and professional. Would love to hear any more pretty things about him that anyone knows.

I'm afraid what I contributed was the only first-hand thing I've heard about him, that Joyce Reynolds and Joan used to wait for him every day and would jump all over him. Joyce said Joan would actually throw her arms around him and wrap her legs around his waist (she sort of whispered it). At any rate I'm not in touch with her any longer ... we lost touch years ago.

But I do remember Mia Farrow talking about how nice he was in a memoir she wrote. He was their neighbor growing up. Perhaps you could look that up and see if there was more about him.

All I ever knew about him other than that was that his son committed suicide, and he did too, a couple of days after his wife's funeral. I think he just couldn't face being alone in the world, or at least without them. Sad. I say prayers for them all.

I'm afraid I dont have anything to add either. I dont think he's ever had a biography published on his life. One is long overdue as well as him being chosen for SOTM (dont understand why he has not been, unless it's due to film rights) I know he had a lot of tragedy in his life (his son's suicide and his own suicide after his wife died after many years of marriage). I seem to remember reading Loretta Young and Irene Dunne attended his funeral (I think he lived in Arizona) That I Love Lucy episode he did was a classic...........

Does this count?:

Growing up, I always got mixed up between Charles Boyer and Maurice Chevalier.

Sophisicated, classy Frenchmen...

I've been looking for "The Madwoman of Chaillot" on DVD for years. Bonne journee! Mark

• 5 years later...

I wasn't aware that Boyer committed suicide. My goodness. Wanted to find some information on him, and discovered this thread. Hope that doesn't annoy anyone.

I sure didn't expect to learn this item though.