Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: The Best Restaurant I Ever

Janet0312

Awesome food out here in New England. Would like to here from all about their most fave food experiences. In Dark Passage, Bogie orders a regular type breakfast in a diner. Comfort food. And, boy, does he need it at the time. Anybody wish to contribute a similar eating experience?

But he doesn't get to finish it. Poor Bogie, he hardly even gets to start eating it, when he gets cross-examined by that nosey plainclothesman about why he wants to know about horse racing when it's out of season, and how come he isn't wearing a raincoat, and where's his ID, etc. etc, And we all know what happens next.

Actually, I've noticed in a lot of movies, especially film noir but others too, that half the time the characters order drinks and / or food, but never consume it when it's served. Something happens, a bad guy runs in with a gun, or a former lover shows up, or someone throws a drink in someone else's face...and they rush off and never taste the delicacies they ordered.

Everytime I go to Moab, Utah (quite often) to explore/hike/or 4wheel my old beat up Land Rover in the desert beauty, I stop in at the Moab Diner for their great comfort food and to-die-for shakes (especially on a hot desert day). I never eat at home like I do there as I would weigh 400 pounds. Nothing ever tastes as good as their eggs, sausage, hashbrowns of breakfast or their chicken fried steaks and fries of evening. Wandering about the Moab area is like wandering through a Ford/Wayne/Bond movie and the Moab Diner comfort food is the icing on the cake.

I believe the best comfort food is at the Dacha:

http://www.dacha.com.ua/en/photo-album/panoramas

The opening panorama is of the terrace. You must click on the map to see the Veranda which is the warmest room. The bedroom is the coziest room. The garden is beautiful but it is best for groups of four or more.

You begin a meal with caviar and pickled mushrooms. You have then dumplings or cold soup. My favorite entrees are lamb kebab and chicken shashlik and to have new potatoes with either. You must have honey cake for desert! Both their home-made soda and kvas are wonderful.

Having just gotten back from a long trip all over the West I have eaten many delicious Western favorites lately: Buffalo Burgers, Yak Burgers, Chicken Pot Pie, Sourdough Pancakes, Navajo Tacos, Butterscotch Shakes, Idaho Spud candy bars, & Huckleberry everything (ice cream & cobbler are the best), to name a few.

In terms of Restaurants, my favorite for pure tourism was Buckaroo Bill's in West Yellowstone, MT, where we ate out Buffalo Burgers in covered wagons. My favorite for food was Peter's Pasta (as I recall) in Kamloops, BC, where the owner is the coolest, most chill person who closes the store whenever he wants and eats his delicious handmade pasta in the front of the restaurant with everyone else.

I just remembered another restaurant scene from a movie (there are probably actually hundreds of them, eating and going out to eat in restaurants being such an important part of the culture)...

It's in *The Strange Love of Martha Ivers*; Sam (Van Heflen) takes Toni (Lizabeth Scott) to one of the town's best restaurants. He feels kind of sorry for her, and knows she hasn't had a good meal in ages.

I remember he orders spaghetti for her. This was a big deal back then, it wasn't the commonplace food it is now. It was quite new to non-Italian Americans. Sam says something like this to Toni "Wait'll you try this, it's really good".

I think there's a steak (for him?) and a glass of milk involved too. Milk does not go with spaghetti, in my opinion.

Anyway, once again, the cops or bad guys (I think both) get involved, disturbing their nice restaurant meal before it's even begun.

All that food you folks are describing in your favourite restaurants sounds delicious.

Go to New Orleans, then you can tell me about great food. Jambalaya, Gumbo, Etouffee, Catfish Acadienne... My favorite meal: BBQ Shrimp at Pascal's Manale.

And apparently I'm expected to connect this to movies, however tenuously, so... In Petulia Richard Chamberlain must provide an alibi for himself, and insists he was in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, enjoying "that good Cajun cooking".

Actually, Baton Rouge is not Cajun. Real Cajuns -- the few that are left -- live west of there, down along the bayous, far from the cities.

In *The Harvey Girls* 3" steaks were served. John Hodiank's was a little too rare, Judy Garland served him one that was raw.

In *Christmas In Connecticut* Felix's Restaurant had a magnificent Smorgasbord table set up.

In *The Godfather* you get "the Best Veal in the City" ,that was in the Bronx. You can get fantastic Italian food on Arthur Ave, in the Bronx. Best not to go with Sterling Hayden and Al Lettieri.

In *Life With Father* , Clarence Day gets schnookered into treating everyone to dinner at DELMONICO'S, supposedly a legendary eatery in NYC.

I couldn't tell you the best restaraunt I ever ate in. Many of my favorites tend to change NOT for the better the moment I brag them up.

Sepiatone

I remember when I was about 13 y/o(1965), my parents took some of our relatives from "back east"(Indianapolis, to be exact) to the original Brown Derby on Wilshire Blvd. because Uncle Slim and Aunt Gertie wanted to see some "Movie Stars", with Uncle Slim especially being on the lookout for Betty Grable, and I think Aunt Gertie hoping to spot John Wayne! LOL

(....though I'm pretty sure they would have "settled" to see William Holden with the Derby's fare splattered all over him!) ;)

Awesome food out here in New England.

Oh yes!!! I was born 12 miles north of Boston and spoiled rotten by the food growing up. I've been around the world, and eaten everywhere there is, but I've never found food as good as in New England. It's sumptuous. My sister was telling me the other day about a family party they gave in my town at a local restaurant, and suddenly I could taste the ziti and meatballs I had when I was there last ...

Lobster was normal for us growing up. We had fried clams to die for. We ate them like people do hot dogs now. My mother's Delmonico potatoes are still resonating on my taste buds. Her favorite restaurant was Durgin Park in Boston, the oilcloth-on-the-tables place where all the celebrities hang out, not that she cared about that.

I can't stand this. I've got to go get something to eat.

Dothery, how about the old Anthony's Pier 4 , or The Union Oyster House ? Many years ago the Wayside Inn in Sudbury had great Prime Rib, and don't forget about the North End. There was a stand, I can't remember if it was in Revere or not, fantastic fried clams and lobster rolls. So fresh, it was right off the water. Fried clams were great on the Cape .Delish.

Growing up in New York, I always thought the food was best there. Best Chinese, BEST, BEST DELI. Can't get Hot Pastrami and Hot Corned Beef sandwiches anywhere else, but in NY. So speaking of deli's - there's that funny scene in *Pat and Mike* they're either at Jack Dempsey's or Carnegie Deli or Stage Deli. Tracy orders for Hepburn in that scene, steak, baked potato, spinach.

Another is the take off on Lindy's in *Guys and Dolls* only it's called Mindy's, Struedel and Cheesecake.

The best tamales I ever had were in the Arbuckle Mountains, near Ardmore, Okla. In the 50's the place was an old train car. Then, in the 60s, they built a cement block building, out in the middle of nowhere. I've had tamales in Texas, Mexico, and even Detroit, which has some good ones, but those in the Arbuckles were the best. Second best were in a bar in Guatemala.

The best meal I ever had was at the little place Bar Restaurant Marco Polo on the beach at Chemuyil, Mexico. They made incredible seafood platters, with the fish they went out and caught that morning. Sadly, the whole cove was bought by a Spanish hotel chain, so it no longer exists.

The Godfather

Other than that, if you are ever on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, and like

catfish, Catfish Charlies serves fresh pond grown fried catfish fillets that

are very delicious with Southern hospitality.

Jake in the Heartland

Dothery, how about the old Anthony's Pier 4 , or The Union Oyster House ? Many years ago the Wayside Inn in Sudbury had great Prime Rib, and don't forget about the North End. There was a stand, I can't remember if it was in Revere or not, fantastic fried clams and lobster rolls. So fresh, it was right off the water. Fried clams were great on the Cape .Delish.

My dad was a buddy of Anthony's when all he had was the one restaurant, the Hawthorne, in Lynn. Then he put it out on the cliff in Swampscott, across from St. John's Church, where it is now. Beautiful place. Best food ever. Then came Pier 4.

For clams, Goodwin's was the place, out on the highway. I can still smell them.

Yes, Goodwins. Thanks. I've been to all of Anthony's restaurants. The one in Swampscott on the water, not only beautiful views but the food was marvelous.

Another movie scene although only imaganed food was served, was the the very funny scene in *Easter Parade* when Jules Munshin made his imaginary Caesar Salad for Judy Garlaand and Peter Lawford, with his 'toss, toss, mix, mix, toss,toss mix, mix" . Very funny scene and I think Delmonicos was mentioned and that probably was the restaurant they were suppose to be in.

Another famous NY spot mentioned in movies quite a bit was 21. Remember in *All About Eve* when Margo, Bill, Lloyd and Karen are sitting at a table and Margo and the crew lift their celery sticks and make that gesture to George Sanders. LOL

Valentine, the best tamales here in Detroit can be found at Gloria's bakery on Bagley. STORE BOUGHT, that is. The VERY best tamales are the ones made by my sister-in-law!

One of the best meals I've had was at a place called Charlotte's, somewhere outside of Detroit. They served a pecan coated chicken breast that was out of this world. I don't know if the place is still around, though.

Some of the best meals I've had in my time were at little, out of the way "greasy spoon" type joints that are fading fast on the American landscape.

One place in particular I remember was in Tennessee (sp) someplace, and likely long gone by now.

It was in 1968, and I was 17 years old, on vacation with my folks headed towards the Great Smokey Mountains. I-75 wasn't completed yet, and there were large sections where you were detoured off and had to take local roadways. On one of these detours, we stopped at a place that had a sign that simply said "FOOD", and went inside. The place had all the ambience of a wild west saloon. Dried up wooden floor. None of the tables matched, and none of the chairs at each table didn't match, either. An old white haired guy came to take our order. We looked at the sparse menu and ordered hamburgers. We then watched with amusement as he exited out a backdoor, and sauntered to a run down old house about 25 yards from the building. When he returned, he set down what were perhaps the best burgers I've eaten ANYWHERE! I can STILL taste them. We tried to hit the place on the return trip, but it was closed.

Ya gotta LOVE them kind of places.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Valentine, the best tamales here in Detroit can be found at Gloria's bakery on Bagley. STORE BOUGHT, that is. The VERY best tamales are the ones made by my sister-in-law!

>

>

At one time, I believe the best tamales in Detroit were at Tamaleria Nuevo Leon, at the corner of Vernor and St. Anne. Last time I bought some, about a year ago, they were still good, but not amazingly so, as they had been. Guess I'll try Gloria's, next time I go in to La Colmena market, for chorizo, and other things. I usually eat about half a dozen in the car, on the way back to Ann Arbor, while they're still fresh and hot.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings