PHFFFT

_Thursday September 26th:_

MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

OF HUMAN BONDAGE

THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE

THE GREAT BANK ROBBERY

kim-novak-1.jpg

Lord save us. Ranks in the Top 5 of my "Academy of Overrated Actresses."

She must have agreed to a TCM appearance (Cruise, Film Festival, etc.) and, as night must follow day, she must be rewarded as SOTM. Quid pro quo.

Lydecker

I think that the previous discussions of Kim Novak on these boards have been largely positive, and I think most members would react positively to Kim's selection as SOTM. I know that I do. One of Hollywood's top female stars of the mid to late'50s and early '60s.

I have to agree with Lydecker...

Kim Novak has "something," but it really wasn't acting ability. Her star turn in "Vertigo" is a perfect example. For the first half of the movie she just walks around. Then she has basically two scenes with Stewart; where he follows her to her apartment (insert montage here) and when he busts her with the necklace. I'm not saying she doesn't light up the screen sometimes, but she was mostly a tall drink of water who was there for her obvious appeal...

I know the movie is widely denounced for a number of its faults but I believe her performance in: *The Legend of Lylah Clare* (1968). The subtleties which she embraces are astounding.

I believe she is a great actress and that it is unfortunate that she was selected fo so many of her roles based upon her physical appearance only.

I agree with you San Fin and fiance. Kim Novak to me was more than a beautiful face. She was always convincing. *Vertigo* , a film I truly love and think is outstanding, would not have neen as great without her. She was teriffic in *The Man With the Golden Arm* and *Pal Joey* .She truly deserves to be known as an actress, movie star and Legend.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}No clue, Nora. :)

>

> I was surprised that BOYS' NIGHT OUT was not scheduled, since that is in the Turner Library. Most of her films were made at Columbia and are now controlled by Sony.

>

> BOYS' NIGHT OUT does air in July, however.

Well, we'll definately know something's up if Laurence Harvey gets October's tribute. ;)

It's not the most exciting choice for me, but admittedly my tastes tend to skewer earlier than Ms. Novak's prime (Constance Bennett's month has been my favorite of late). She was (hell - *is* :D ) a stunner though, and certainly Vertigo grants her cinematic immortality. She's perfectly cast and utilized, in my humble opinion - ironic considering Hitch wanted Vera Miles (who dropped out because of pregnancy). Ms. Miles was lovely, but I don't think she could have matched Novak's unearthly aura as Madeleine. She made for such a classic Hitchcock Blonde.

Boys' Night Out not being included is a tad head-scratching.

I think I am drawn to Kim Novak, because she's from Chicago and that is her real last name. My mother's family is from Chicago, and her mother was a Novak. I wouldn't be surprised if I am distantly related to her. A lot of the old neighborhoods are very ethnic and segregated almost. Our family was from a Polish and Slovenian neighborhood on the south-east side. Though a lot of my relatives have moved out of the city into the suburbs and now live in Indiana. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if Kim Novak has family in that area, where we're from.

I wouldnt go so far to say that Kim was a great actress, but she did have something and I have no problems with her choice for SOTM as she deserves one. But since almost all the films are shown on TCM on a regular basis, it doesnt bring much to the schedule. I DO hope TCM is working on getting rights to films so other stars still waiting can be SOTM's soon. (Mary Astor, Charles Boyer, Jennifer Jones, Susan Hayward) None of which has ever been SOTM in TCM's 20 years of existence......

Well I'm not much of a fan of Novak (one reason being I like the actresses more from the prior generation), but yea, I wasn't much of a fan of Eleanor Parker but I gained a lot more respect for her after her SOTM showing.

So I watch the few Novak movies TCM is showing that I haven't seen before.