12PM MR. AND MRS. SMITH

2PM SUSPICION

4PM STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

6PM DIAL M FOR MURDER

8PM REBECCA

10:15PM NOTORIOUS

12:15AM THE MANXMAN

Thanks for the heads up, TopBilled. :)

Psycho was the film that first sparked my love of movies, and Sir Alfred is among my top 5 directors. The Farmer's Wife and Champagne are the only titles I've yet to see, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to check them off.

Would've liked to see the admittedly-flawed-but-still-interesting Secret Agent included.

Really - no '34 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much *or* Young and Innocent ? Did Nova Pilbeam insult somebody at TCM? ;)

Sabotage - Beautiful, big, sad Sylvia Sidney eyes{font:sans-serif}{size:16px}™{font} in all their epic glory.

I think we can safely assume that we're in for the talkie version of Blackmail (recalling a certain "Silent Sunday" fiasco :^0 ).

I don't mean to be overly-snarky. God knows I love ya, TCM. :x

>no '34 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much or Young and Innocent

I was surprised by these omissions and with SECRET AGENT being left off the list.

PSYCHO hasn't aired in four or five years on TCM. My guess is that it will screen again in October around Halloween. THE BIRDS will probably re-air in October, too, since it is a classic horror film.

At first glance it looks like we're getting at least 6 of the 9 silents that were recently rescued and shown at the San Francisco silent film festival, and with several open slots there's still a possibility we might also get Downhill, Easy Virtue and/or The Pleasure Garden. This has got to be the best directors' tribute since the Kurosawa retrospective from March of 2010.

I thought the Nicholas Ray tribute a few years ago was very good.

Do you really think the silent Hitchcock films will be in restored condition? Several are in the public domain and can be found easily at the local Walmart bargain bin.

Missing also is Juno and the Paycock, Hitchcock's adaptation of Sean O'Casey's play.

There is a boxed set of much of his early works by St. Clair Vision called The Ultimate Hitchcok Collection. The quality is less then pristine, and the version of Blackmail is with sound. But it includes six of his silents:

The Manxman

Champagne

Easy Virtue

The Ring

The Lodger

and Number 17, and engaging comedy/mystery that obeys the classical unities and manages not only a few plot twists, but some flips and summersaults as well.

> Missing also is Juno and the Paycock, Hitchcock's adaptation of Sean O'Casey's play.

This aired on TCM when they did a week-long tribute to Hitchcock back in October of 2004 or so. I didn't think it was a particularly good movie. (Then again, I have an animus towards Southern Ireland.)

I hope you weren't implying that *Number 17* is a silent. It's a really fun early talkie, if you can understand the dialog. The special effects aren't all that great, but the story makes up for them. :-)

I'm really pleased to see they've finally been able to get *Lifeboat*, which is one of Hitchcock's more underrated films, if you ask me. This is the one year where I think he clearly deserved the Oscar. Certainly, he deserved it more than Leo McCarey.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}So far I do not see JAMAICA INN or THE PARADINE CASE scheduled, but there are a few gaps so maybe they will be added in later.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that *Jamaica Inn* is not listed. That film's so bad, it makes *Under Capricorn* seem brilliant, by comparison.

Also,I would prefer the '34 version of *The Man Who Knew too Much*.

Hey Slayton! How about..."The McGuffin That Knew Too Much"???

(...and of course, if ya wanna make him Scottish instead of Irish, just spell it "MacGuffin"...though I don't think the public would really care one way OR the other if ya ask me!)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings