Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Feminist censorship

jasonstowers

I must say that I am quite disappointed at how TCM has caved to feminist pressure to remove from their lineup those movies which include any images of violence against women. We need to have access to all types of movies, not just those which certain groups believe should be seen. Imagine if the movies that presented any violence against men were also banned, there would be nothing left to see. Violence against any person should be eliminated in our society but attempting to prevent it through censorship is the wrong approach.

RATS! I guess there goes my chance to once again observe what a "smooth operator" Stanley Kowalski was with the babes, EH?!

(...though I'm pretty sure a LOT of his "secret" was that "Wife-Beater" T-Shirt he was sportin'!...it seems some women REALLY go for that look!)

;)

> {quote:title=jasonstowers wrote:}{quote}I must say that I am quite disappointed at how TCM has caved to feminist pressure to remove from their lineup those movies which include any images of violence against women. We need to have access to all types of movies, not just those which certain groups believe should be seen. Imagine if the movies that presented any violence against men were also banned, there would be nothing left to see. Violence against any person should be eliminated in our society but attempting to prevent it through censorship is the wrong approach.

Which movies have been eliminated? I'm looking for this info after seeing your post. I did not know some had been eliminated. Does that mean never shown again on TCM or maybe only in the wee morning hours or what? I just want more info on what's going on. I missed the boat somewhere. Thanks.

By coincidence, I just finished watching a DVD of The Threat, which just played on TCM three days ago. And if that wasn't Virginia Grey that Charles McGraw was pimp-slapping from beginning to end, that was the best example of crossdressing I've ever seen.

They just showed "Smarty" a month or two ago. Joan Blondell gets slapped numerous times and everyone agrees that sometimes it's just what a women needs. You don't get more anti feminist/pro domestic violence than that....

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}Do not feed the trolls. Skewer them.

The worst that can happen to a troll is to be ignored. They eventually curl up and die from boredom.

I am a woman. I watch old movies where there is violence against men and women. The new movies bother me. I feel there is no need to show rape in movies or any kind of sexual violence. They seem to show a lot of sexual violence against women. They show women nude and being tortured. Many young girls are deeply affected by it. And men shouldn't be turned on by it. What message are they sending to young boys. About the old movies, now they are not allowed to show blackface. Yes, it was stupid for people to dress up in blackface but I don't think the scenes have to be cut out of the movies.

First you use 'they' a lot and I'm having a very hard time determining who 'they' are. But no one is prevented, by law, from using blackface. I only point this out since I define censorship as being goverment sponsored via laws or licensing requirements (e.g. FCC).

Note that often (if not most of the time), negative behaviors are shown in movies to point out to people that they are bad be behaviors. e.g. showing the treatment of jews during the 30's in Germany. It is often necessary to show the behavior in order for people to understand how bad it really was. The movie Roots is a very good example of this and while some scenes are hard to take they are shown to point out the problem not to glamorize it.

But I do agree that many modern movies show certain negative behaviors for their 'kick' factor.

>But I do agree that many modern movies show certain negative behaviors for their 'kick' factor.

I think that's what she was talking about. And I think "they" are the people who make those kinds of movies.

Your definition of censorship is not the only one. The producers, studio heads, etc in Hollywood also block many things in movies today, such as what she mentioned about black face. There are plenty of other things they block, while they approve of a lot of trash.

If the villianous behavior is shown being done by villianous characters who eventually come to a tragic end, I don't see the problem. Women being beaten by men, men **** women, these things unfortunately really do happen. If it's shown in a movie as an essential part of the plot, I have no issue with it. But if these atrocities are shown just for the HELL of it, THEN I have a problem.

Sepiatone

>But if these atrocities are shown just for the HELL of it, THEN I have a problem.

I agree. This is a big problem I have with a lot of modern fims.

They desensitize young people to acts of violence.

I grew up as a kid and teenager fully understanding how bad things shown in films are copied by kids and teenagers.

Black lether jackets became a fad in high schools because of THE WILD ONES.

Switchblades became a problem in schools because of REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE.

Being rude to teachers became a problem because of BLACKBOARD JUNGLE.

The people who designed the original Hollywood movie Code knew this, because they knew about copy-cat crimes caused by young people reading salacious novels that contained violence.

The Code was mainly to protect kids and so movies would not give any ideas for crimes to a few crackpots. Well, now, with all the violent movies, what do we have in our country? A lot of violent kids, teenager, serial killers, mass killers, home invaders, etc., etc.

Fred, once upon a time this phenomenon was referred to as the "Ron O'Neil syndrome".

Some might recall Mr. O'Neil as the creator and star of a movie called *Superfly* . His character in the movie was his intention to show how scummy such people were( drug dealers), and to show young black boys how they come to tragic ends. Unfortunately, it had the reverse effect. Those kids only saw the Caddies and the money and the women, and ASPIRED to that lifestyle. It bothered him that his character was seen as a hero, and that the role was his biggest claim to fame.

Sepiatone

Hmmmm...I dunno, but it suuuuure sounds to ME like you guys are fallin' into that frame of mind which many "Traditionalist", who LOVE to talk about "Personal Responsibility" at the drop of a hat, wanna "blame Hollywood" for all the "Juvenile Delinquency" in our country, when IN FACT all that "Personal Responsibility" SHOULD of course fall upon the shoulders of the PARENTS in these sorts of matters!

(...i.e. being around to EXPLAIN to their little brats why all those lowlifes in the movies AREN'T to be "admired"!)

Dargo raises some valid points; it is very difficult to determine what the driving influences of the 'young' are (today or even back in the day).

But since the title of this thread includes the word 'censorship' and based on what I have read on other threads most people at this forum are against censorship (even 'self censorship'; i.e. a private party deciding to limit content with no involvement by the government), I ASSUME few here wish for modern movies to be censored as a way to protect the youth of America.

And thus, would it not follow that it, once again, IS the "personal responsibility" OF the Parents to HAVE their little brats "listen" to them AND be the most influential aspect during their formative years?

(...sorry, Twink, but I'm SO freakin' tired of people "blaming Hollywood/The Media/ et all" for THEIR inability to raise their little brats in a manner which conforms to the standards of modicum civility)

Of course parents are resposible for their "Little Brats" !

From what I see in the movies, back in the 'old days', parents and teachers were allowed to be much more strict with "Little Brats" compared to today's society, maybe that's were the problem lies becuase it is an epidemic.

"Little Brats" now kill their own parents and think nothing of it, i.e. the Menendez Brothers, guess they were the 'ultimate'...."little brats" !

Edited by: twinkeee on Jul 3, 2013 12:06 AM