Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Canada Day, TCM

Fred C Dobbs - thanks for today, eh - I've Treasure-d your input. Nuggets of wisdom! :)

"except for certain words" - do you know the word "shibboleth"?

I also think of the words "aunt", "roof", "Newfoundland", "collie", etc. for varying pronunciations!

Peter Jennings was from a small town in Alberta where his father owned a Radio Starion and that is where Peter got his start in the business, in fact, Peter never finished High School, let alone ever go to college.

There is a Huge difference in American/Canadian accents ! I live in a border tourist town (Niagara-on-the-Lake) where we have a Lot of American tourists and I can Always spot Americans just by their accents. Americans tend to drag their words out more (if that makes sense), its really hard to describe, but I have never mistaken an American for a Canadian.

By the way, I've read that linquist experts in the 19th Century invented the word "Aryan" to mean the old original accent and word pronunciation of the white non-Semitic West-Europeans, and they somehow traced the origin of several countries' languages and words to ancient Persia.

This is why the old Shah of Iran used to call himself The Prince of the Aryans back in the 1950s and 60s.

And then gradually the word Aryan began to mean the race of people that spoke all the modern versions of the language.

Yes indeed! What a nice gesture! No wonder you're TopBilled!

What great friends and neighboiurs we are, eh. Allies in the Wars, world's biggest trading partners, sharing the world's longest border (much of it unguarded), etc.

Do enjoy your Fourth of July celebrations, too!

Flag-Pins-USA-Canada.jpghttps://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Yyo2XVbn-w35nM&tbnid=QJESy2sDThl2QM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FCDNUSAproblems&ei=AwjSUauQH4zNywGE8IHIBA&bvm=bv.48572450,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNGZA_CFv1CNMMmuSmVxcwK_NsOVuA&ust=1372805495786640

Okay, right now out here in Arizona., I'm watchin' the final installment of TCM's salute to our neighbo(u)rs to the north....and no, I'm NOT talkin' about the Mormons up there north of here in Utah.

(TCM would of course be showin' Ford's "Wagon Master" or Hathaway's "Brigham Young", if THAT were the case!)

Yep, I'm now watchin' "ZERO HOUR"...but I have a question about this flick:

When does Leslie Nielsen(coincidentally, a good Canandian boy) appear in this baby and start sayin' the line, "And don't call me 'Shirley'!"???

***edit to follow***

I now see Fred has started a thread about the whole "ZERO HOUR=AIRPLANE" thing...though I hope you folks STILL liked my little "neighbo(u)rs" and "Mormon" references up there!!! ;)

LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jul 1, 2013 4:05 PM

Actually Twink, you're kinda sorta correct in your assumption there.

'Cause if it WEREN'T for my Canadian birth mother and father, I wouldn't be here( in Arizona)TODAY!

(...and kiddin' all our Canadians friends about that "British superfluous letter "u" they still use to spell certain words that REALLY don't NEED 'em!!!)

LOL

;)

Swithin ! Alice Munro is my favourite writer ! I have read everything by her, and am in fact in the process of finishing her latest work, Dear Life.

Sorry about all the exclamation points, but it is not often that I come across anyone else who likes her, or is interested in her.

Critics like her work very much, yes...but I don't know anyone personally who is a fan of Alice Munro besides myself.

I don't know why this should be. She is a great writer, her stories resonate with you. I don't always understand them, but they stay with me. Her characters are like people who have walked out of real life and into her books.

I have mentioned Alice Munro a few times on these forums. As you probably know, she wrote the short story, The Bear Came Over the Mountain, which was made into the film *Away from Her*, starring Julie Christie and Gordon Pinsent, and directed by the young Canadian director Sarah Polley.

Anyway, thank you Swithin for mentioning Alice Munro and putting up the link to that article. I recommend this great Canadian author to anyone who appreciates good writing.

J2B, you're too gracious! I just have it my ear "do you have any plans for the July 4th long weekend?" or "did you go to the Fourth of July fireworks this year?" In my defence, our friends down under celebrate Australia Day, but I'm staying in the Commonwealth for that one. Our feelings for the British may differ, but I do hope you enjoy your Independence Day celebration this year. All the best! Mark

finance, I hate to disillusion you, but I've never heard anyone call anyone else a "hoser" either, and I've lived in Canada all my life.

I think it was a phenomenon limited to Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis in *Strange Brew,* a silly but funny and likable comedy from the 80s. Nobody actually says "hoser".

I might as well talk about Canadian movies on this thread while it lasts.

The most recent Canadian film I have seen was called *Take this Waltz* . It was directed by Sarah Polley, whom I've already mentioned here, and starred Michelle Williams, Luke Kirby, and Seth Rogan. Sarah Silverman made an appearance in it too. It came out in 2011, I believe.

The film is an intelligent and clear-eyed look at marriage and how and why people become disenchanted with it, and look farther afield sometimes for romantic excitement.

Certainly not a new or original theme, but one that is so much a part of what is commonly called "the human condition" that it's always worth a fresh take on the subject.

Here's a link to a wiki article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_This_Waltz_(film)

It's set in my home town, Toronto, and, refreshingly, doesn't pretend it's anywhere else. This is similar to most genuine Canadian movies, which make the setting -town, or city or region - of their films almost part of the story, and certainly don't try to hide the location of where it is shot.

ps: More Canadiana: I suspect the movie's title is giving a nod to the Leonard Cohen song by the same name. Leonard Cohen, of course, is one of Canada's most celebrated poets and singer-songwriters.

What the hell, since I'm really getting into this. here's a link to that Cohen song. It too is called "Take this Waltz" :

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 2, 2013 2:00 PM

Same to you, Mark. Fourth of July is more common these days than

Independence Day, though both are used. I'll be setting off some harmless

fireworks in the backyard, if it doesn't rain on Thursday.

In Quebec I believe the term is hoseur.