Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bhryun

Tired of signal problems with TCM

For the second time in one-month, I have tried to view "The Male Animal" and for the second time the broadcast was marred by apparent satellite transmission glitches. Today, May 16, as when I viewed on April 13, the telecast broke-up in the first 40 minutes. This problem occurs during more than half of the films I view on TCM. I am tired of having to tell TCM about this problem. If TCM was concerned about their viewers they would investigate these problems far more diligently and thoroughly than they presently do. I know that if I were a broadcaster and I found out that a cable company or other "middle-man" was fouling-up my product, I would be more than eager to discover and correct the problem.

If my picture is breaking up, sometimes, I turn off the digital, and watch from analog and have no further problems. On certain channels (TCM being one) I lose very little resolution. I'm not happy that all signals go to digital in 2006. Right now, Christoper Lowell is breaking up. This channel is not on the basic analog stations. There may be a storm coming, but then, again, who knows. Frustrating.

jimnxsq I would bet it's your cable or satellite company, and not TCM, per se.

I never have any problems with the picture breaking up on TCM. I do however have problems on the big movie channels like HBO, Cinemax, Starz, etc.

Mongo

It sounds to me like you need to have whomever is providing your TV service to come and check things out for you. If it's a Cable Company, you might have a bad wire, or corroded connection. If it's a Satellite Company, your "dish" may need to be repositioned, or perhaps there is something that has started to obstruct it, such as a tree branch that needs to be cut back. And yes, certain kinds of storms also disrupt satellite service if they are in your area. At any rate, I don't believe that this a problem that originates with TCM, nor it is up them to take care of it for you. Even if TCM's channel is the only one you're losing the signal to, it's still a problem with your Cable or Satellite service, and you need to notify them about it.

I agree with the prior posters, this doesn't sound like a problem with TCM. It sounds like a problem with the service provider or perhaps the hook-up to the TV.

I have none of these problems with my TCM reception and haven't seen any discussion of problems at the various classic movie boards I frequent (where TCM is often mentioned).

I agree with the other posters who are telling you that its probably a problem with your cable or satelite reception on the channel. Until about three months ago I had TCM on Channel 72 and it was terrible reception, I would get wavy lines, and interferrence, infact I wouldn't bother to watch at certain times of the day because it was so bad and I couldn't get it to come in. Fnally, my cable provider moved the TCM to Channel 42 during one of their channel retoolings and I haven't had a reception problem since then.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but being a total TCM junkie, I watch so many hours of it daily that I would surely notice if the picture is bad.

Never is...frankly, TCM looks more clear and perfect than any of my other channels.

Last week, I was home five days, had TCM on the whole day, like ten hours...and never once did I see it break up or do anything. And I will watch hours of TCM some nights, like from 7pm to sometimes 2 or 3am, and the picture always looks wonderful.

So I'd say...call your cable provider, it's probably due to them, not TCM.

fuster,

I like that description of yourself -- TCM junkie. If my husband were to hear that, he'd agree that's my affliction as well.

When I'm home, I have the TV on and tuned to TCM. Even if I don't have time to sit and watch a movie, I have TCM tuned in so I can listen to it and catch glimpses. Most of the films are like old friends -- they're so familiar, I know what they're going to say before they say it, and I know I can always count on them to give me a lift when I need one!!

Oh, and as the others have responded, the only time I have a problem with the picture is during bad weather when all of the satelite channels are messed up.

Having a perfect signal from TCM is very important to me also. I got so tired of poor cable signals that I switched to DirecTV, my signal strength is always 89 - 94 for TCM, giving me both a great picture and sound. I use the Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder with Progressive Cine-Scan and component connections. My recorded DVDs are better than the original broadcast because the Progressive mode sees any signal distortion as detail and fixes it. DVDs are cheaper than VHS tape too so its a win-win situation. Having a digital signal is so much better than the analog from cable.