Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Movie Gettysburg 1993

Its amazing that it is the 150 Aniverery of the battle of Gettysburg. All the news networks are having specials on it and going to Gettysburg. But TCM is not going to show this classic movie on July 4th weekend? What is going on with the programers thinking over there.

Welcome to the boards.

TCM had a month long celebration two years ago that included showing *Gettysburg* when it was the 150 anniversary of the beginning of the war.

> {quote:title=johnn8313 wrote:}{quote} What is going on with the programers thinking over there.

Like all films that were once part of the former Turner Library, GETTYSBURG is now controlled by Warner Bros. (thank's to Ted merging his company with Time-Warner years ago). Warner aggressively markets those films to other channels and TCM has had to compete with them for the same films that they once had unlimited use of.

Because of the anniversary, there would probably be a number of channels who would be interested in that film and that would result in a bidding war. If that's the case, I would not be surprised if it turns up someplace else. There's one channel in particular, which will remain nameless, that seems to have endlessly deep pockets.

LOL

Yep Mr.R, you definitely have a handle on some of the crowd around here, alright! ;)

(...btw...add me to the list of those who would've liked to have had the opportunity to once again watch what I recall as being an excellent film...it's been many years since I've watched it)

Hmmmm...well then VX, how about a "vainspectacular" film, then? Any objections THERE??? LOL

Look my friend, all wars and all battles within them are by definition "vainglorious", because they're started by men seeking either power or retribution in some manner, and both of which are very "vainglorious" notions. And, as I recall(because as I mentioned earlier, it's been many years since I've watched it) the idea of THIS film in particular "glorifying war" is something I do not recall it making. Nope, as I recall, it presents the waste of war in stark terms.

• 6 years later...

Googled "why doesn't TCM show Gettysburg" and found this thread. Now the film is 26 years old, so if 25 years is the technical definition of classic, then it's "eligible".  It's already 8-10 years older than the LOTR movies...which along with other newer movies, TCM has already shown anyway.  No other channels show the Gettysburg movies, either.

So TCM is denying its community of one of the better historical movies made in the last 50 years.   Not to mention missing out on all the fun banter we used to have on the IM** forums back in the day, the history, the bloopers (finding moving trucks, statues amongst the greens), the varmints that served as mustaches and beards - and discussing the various cuts of the movie....  Now, there is a Director's Cut, which has added not only more minutes, but actual music with orchestral instruments (as opposed to only using electronic music in the original movie).  The cuts did not terribly detract (although adding them did connect a few of the stories) as they did with Gods and Generals, but it's the version we watch most in our home now. 

Gods and Generals.....whoever edited that movie should have been fired.  It was barely tolerable.  When they released the Extended/Director's Cut version, the lights went on, the movie made sense, it didn't drag on...it wasn't just Stonewall sobbing into his hanky.  It's not as good as Gettysburg, but ya know, if they had released it the way it should have been released, we might actually have that third Shaara movie after all.  

TCM, not showing these movies is really a shame.  

1 hour ago, YabbaDabba said:

Gods and Generals.....whoever edited that movie should have been fired.  It was barely tolerable. 

More specifically, Gettysburg and G&G were Ted Turner's little backyard-toys at playing with movies--Confederate Civil War epics, of COURSE--so if anybody would be showing them, you'd think it would be TCM.

(And then, of course, Ted went out and bought Rob Reiner's Castle Rock Films company to make it for him, and bought New Line to distribute it for him...Good thing Ted didn't try running for president.)

• Like 1

Damn it! I always get suckered in when someone goes back to p. 159 and resurrects a thread that no one's posted on for five years. I never realize it's an old thread until I've read most or all of the posts, because I'm too lazy to look at dates.

Looks like the newbie John 8313 never made another post again ... ever. That's the definition of a troll, my friends. My initial reaction is the heck does Gettysburg have to do with July 4 anyway?

Also, the idea a moderator replied to a randomoid post back in 2013 is jaw-droppingly stunning, I mean shocking. Shocking! The idea that this would ever happen today is unlikely.

• Like 1
On 7/2/2019 at 11:09 PM, sewhite2000 said:

My initial reaction is the heck does Gettysburg have to do with July 4 anyway?

Um, the main battle - Pickett's Charge - was fought on July 4.  You know, the battle where the south lost half their army marching across an open field like sitting (or marching) ducks?  Or maybe you don't...  Watch the movie.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
On 7/2/2019 at 8:41 PM, EricJ said:

More specifically, Gettysburg and G&G were Ted Turner's little backyard-toys at playing with movies--Confederate Civil War epics, of COURSE--so if anybody would be showing them, you'd think it would be TCM.

If for no other reason than to watch Ted get shot....

4 minutes ago, YabbaDabba said:

Um, the main battle - Pickett's Charge - was fought on July 4.  You know, the battle where the south lost half their army marching across an open field like sitting (or marching) ducks?  Or maybe you don't...  Watch the movie

I'm aware of the basic details of the battle. Guess I just forgot the date.

41 minutes ago, YabbaDabba said:

Um, the main battle - Pickett's Charge - was fought on July 4.  You know, the battle where the south lost half their army marching across an open field like sitting (or marching) ducks?  Or maybe you don't...  Watch the movie.  

Yeah, amazing isn't it that the so-called "military genius" Robert E. Lee somehow didn't realize that pretty much up to the time of Pickett's Charge, the reason the South had previously won so many other battles and skirmishes up to that point in the war was because it had been HIS forces that had been entrenched behind barricades and that the Union forces had usually been the ones marching across open fields in advancements against them.

(...but HEY, I guess we ALL make mistakes sometimes, huh!) LOL

33 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, amazing isn't it that the so-called "military genius" Robert E. Lee somehow didn't realize that pretty much up to the time of Pickett's Charge, the reason the South had previously won so many other battles and skirmishes up to that point in the war was because it had been HIS forces that had been entrenched behind barricades and that the Union forces had usually been the ones marching across open fields in advancements against them.

(...but HEY, I guess we ALL make mistakes sometimes, huh!) LOL

Suggest you study up on Civil War history and especially Lee's tactics and strategies.  He won so many battles because he usually attacked first.  It was his favorite tactic and it worked until Gettysburg.  Also, the prominent strategy for battles, North and South, was the frontal attack.

10 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Suggest you study up on Civil War history and especially Lee's tactics and strategies.  He won so many battles because he usually attacked first.  It was his favorite tactic and it worked until Gettysburg.  Also, the prominent strategy for battles, North and South, was the frontal attack.

Actually, and once again here Cid, in many many cases, and in most of the major battles earlier in that war, once again it WAS the forces of the South that through a form of guerrilla and often hit and run tactics had won said battles and primarily BECAUSE of their entrenched positioning.

(...yep, trust me here...I ALSO know my Civil War history, dude...and I ain't always just the guy lookin' for an easy joke to insert around here!)

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually, and once again here Cid, in many many cases, and in most of the major battles earlier in that war, once again it WAS the forces of the South that through a form of guerrilla and often hit and run tactics had won said battles and primarily BECAUSE of their entrenched positioning.

(...yep, trust me here...I ALSO know my Civil War history, dude...and I ain't always just the guy lookin' for an easy joke to insert around here!)

You don't know it very well.