Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is That Movie?

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Guest normandewitt

Thank you Claire for your answer to my questions about Susan Peters. Next Question as you might expect - Is there any chance any of her movies will be shown on TCM in the near future.

Guest BLUE21

Hi first time poster here lookin to find out the name of the soothing male voice that sings right before some of the movies start. i think one of the lines in the song is "...on sunny side of life(or maybe street??)" it is played while the little cartoon rolls of people walking in an old city street and a train of some sort passes in the foreground. i thought the singer was possibly just a studio singer but i belive i heard another song by him on a t.v. show last night.... Any help would be greatlly appreciated. thank you,blue

yep, i think that was it. i saw it just about a couple weeks ago, i think. it was either on tcm or amc. i'm pretty sure it was tcm.

Guest Blandings

Hi gang! I'm looking for the name of a film. Black and white, probably from the early to mid 40s. If I remember correctly, it's about a couple in love who, for some reason, try to commit suicide together. They do so by turning on the gas and sealing the windows. They pass out and next thing you know they's on a ship with a handful of other passengers. As the story progresses, you deduce that the ship is some type of "judgment seat." The passengers are on their way to heaven or hell (to be determined on board). I think Sydney Greenstreet stars, along with a couple of other big names. Anyone?As I watched it (about two years ago on CM), I was sucked in! It was quite an interesting and fascinating film.

Guest normandewitt

Thank you both for your input - I just ordered the CD you suggested from Amazon.com. I've been trying to get this song since I gave away my pile of 33's. There are some other CD's available of this song but don't be fooled as I was - I got a thirties version that I don't even believe was remastered. It was BAD!

Guest Alix

Depending on the year of the movie that takes place on the ship bound for "judgement day," you might have seen the early 1930's "Outward Bound," with Leslie Howard, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and Beryl Mercer. It has exactly the same plot as you described. Kind of a depressing movie.

Guest Lew, Rev

We just watched the movie, "The World of Henry Orient". The girls that played the lead parts were wonderful. However, none of the info we had from the guide or from this website identified them. Does anyone know who they are and have they been in other movies since? Rev Lew--lewdunlap@cs.com

Guest Lew, Rev

Is "Trail of the Lonesome Pine" movie still around? It was about a railroad being built and the music was wonderful. I would like to know if TCM has ever shown the movie and where someone might get the music. Rev Lew -- lewdunlap@cs.com

Guest TCMhost-Joy

The two girls that followed the pianist around were played by Merrie Spaeth (Marian "Gil" Gilbert) and Tippy Walker (Valerie "Val" Boyd).Merry Spaeth lists two special guest tv appearances on her filmography (in addition to "The World of Henry Orient"). They are: "The Legend of Jesse James" (1965) playing "Ellie Lou Kane" in episode: "The Celebrity" which originally aired 12/6/1965; and "The Nurses" in episode: "No Shadow Where There Is No Sun" which originally aired 10/20/1964.Tippy Walker's filmography is a bit more extensive, and includes the films "Jennifer on My Mind" (1971) and "The Jesus Trip" (1971). She also made TV appearances on "Seven in Darkness" (1969); "Peyton Place" (1968-1969); "The Canterville Ghost"(1966) and several episodes of "Dr. Kildare" (1961).

Guest kstquilter

I saw a black and white movie a month or two ago and would like to know the title. I only saw the last part of the movie so don't know the entire story. There was a family who went to town and the young man in the family wanted to buy a suit for $15 and the mom found a pug dog that she wanted to buy for $15 as well. He ordered the suit without telling his parents and she bought the pug dog on credit. The father saw the pug dog and hated it and the son returned the pug dog and used that credit to pay for the suit. There is a very funny scene at the dining room table where she tries to explain how the suit was paid for by the money from the pug dog. I would like to find out the title of the film so I would know when it would be playing again and we can watch the entire film. Thanks so much for your help.karen

Guest bltapley

Hi! I just joined TCM and wanted to weigh in on letterboxing--which to real film fans should be a non-issue anyway.I've noticed AMC doesn't seem to be letterboxing anymore; what's up with that?! Most movies of a wide screen format--certainly those filmed in 2.35:1 ratio--are worthless viewed in pan-and-scan. On this subject (and countless others) TCM has done more to educate the public than all other film channels combined. -So thank God for TCM!

Guest bltapley

Blandings,I don't think the title of 'your' film is "Outward Bound", though the plotline is very similar. For one thing, if yours is the film I'm thinking of, it's more recent than the 1930 "Outward Bound", and was perhaps a remake, a late 40's movie. Like you, I recall its having surprising emotional force. Starred Sydney Greenstreet, Eleanor Parker, and--I think--John Garfield as the streetwise gambler. This film isn't showing up in my cross-references, so, like you, I'm racking my brain! Stay tuned,Byron Tapley

Guest bltapley

Blandings,As soon as I posted my earlier message, it occurred to me to look in Leonard Malton's "Movie & Video Guide", to see if "Outward Bound" ever got a remake. It did indeed! The name of your movie is "Between Two Worlds", which incidentally also starred Paul Henreid.-Which brings up the subject of references: I have an old book, "The World Encyclopedia of the Film", which lists films by actor and director. It's a very incomplete source of information (e.g., "Between Two Worlds" didn't show up under any of the actors listed). Anyone out there recommend a new, more complete, reliable resouce book?Byron Tapley

Does anyone know the name of a Loretta Young movie about a woman who runs into a little boy with her car. There were no witnesses so she keeps it a secret. He lost his memory due to the accident. She takes him in her home and teaches him how to speak again. He regains his memory when he sees a locket she is wearing which she wore the night of the accident. I saw it along time ago and I don't know all the details.

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Hi bltapley,The best reference I've found is The Film Encyclopedia, edited by Ephraim Katz. It has listings not only for actors and directors, but also for other crew members such as composers, cinematographers, etc. It also includes information on film terminology, genres, etc. Between that book, the Leonard Maltin guide, and the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com), you'll be able to track down answers to almost any film question you might have!

Guest TCMhost-Claire

This one's got me stumped! Do you know the names of any of the actors that were in it? Was it on TCM, or another network?

Guest TCMhost-Claire

The 1936 version was actually the 5th of this story--all the others were silents. The VHS is available from Amazon.com. The songs you recall are "Twilight on the Trail" and "A Melody from the Sky", sung by Fuzzy Knight.

Guest TCMhost-Claire

There are two versions of this movie, from 1940 and 1972. They are both in the Blockbuster database, so you might want to inquire there.

Guest kstquilter

I have no idea who any of the actors were. It's a movie I've never seen anddidn't get to see the credits or the entire movie. I thought it was on TCM but could have been on AMC. Those are the two basic stations we have that show old, classic movies. I'm pretty sure it was in black and white and it seems like the movie was set during the time in which women wore long dresses and families had servants. This scene at the dinner table was quite funny with her trying to explain how she returned the pug dog so there would be no bill coming even tho the son used that credit to buy the suit. The husband knew he was right but somehow couldn't figure out a way to get past her special logic! Thanks for any help with this. We'd love to watch the entire movie.

Guest kstquilter

Additional information from my daughter. There was a younger son who sold an elixir, carrying it around in his wagon. The father got mad and made the boy retun all money to the neighbors.