Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is That Movie?

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Guest LaFuze, Sandra

I'm trying to remember the name of a black and white movie & sequel I saw some time ago. All I recall was it contained a father (efficiency expert & lecturer), mother, many children, and it is set in a time when women wore long dresses and pants to swim at the beach. The story is about a large family, a scientific type father, the maturing daughter who cuts her hair short, etc.

Guest finnie12, moira

"Cheaper By the Dozen"(1950), with Clifton Webb and Myrna Loy as the parents of the large brood is the movie that you are trying to recall. Jeanne Crain played the "maturing daughter". The story is based on the actual Gilbreth family, whose father was an engineering pioneer, and whose wife was also extraordinary, since she too was an engineer. This film is currently available on video. A sequel, "Belles on Their Toes" (1952), details the family's adventures after the father's death--it is not on video but is shown occasionally on tv--it is equally enjoyable.

Guest olmsted, l

Six years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Ernestinge Gilbreth Carey, the co-author of the book. She was a friend of my mother-in-law. The woman was quite a storyteller and full of spunk!

Guest Moore, Mary Ann

I saw this movie when I was 5 years old in 1956. It was a very teriffying movie about family problems. I remember the father was very mean and his sons and wife were going to kill him. The rigged up a rifle that would go off when he opened the front door. There was a very long staircase right in front of the door. They waited for him to come home and the rifle went off. It has been over 45 years ago, it was a very grainy filmed movie in English. Maybe a western. I have wondered about it for many years if anyone knows what it is let me know. Thanks.

Guest Moyer, David C.

A friend of mine recommends a movie he saw when he was 10 years old. That would have been late 50's early 60's. He thinks the name of the movie was El Coyote. I can't find anything like that. Perhaps he is wrong about the title. He says that the main character was called El Coyote; that he howled like a coyote before he pounced on the bad guys. Also the character was very athletic in his attacks on the bad guys, jumping and swinging from branches, door jambs, etc. Does anyone have a clue about this movie?

Guest Nine, Glinda

Does anyone recall a stop-action animation version of "The Snow Queen" probably 1960-1970 time frame? Any information on this movie would be appreciated.

Guest Stout, Maura

I saw a movie in the 70's (MID) that was "OLD" then, it was a war movie/love story set in the country side, the main characters were a foreign nurse and an American GI. There were orphans or young children involved in helping or the nurse was taking care of them. I think it was supposed to be Italy but not sure about that either.

Please, someone help me. Many years ago, my father and I watched a movie. It was about a small-town man who is known as a klutz and a teller of tall tales. He goes off to WWII and experiences one adventure after another. He goes behind enemy lines and saves the war. Problem is, he's only gone for a couple of days, so when he returns home with stories of all of his adventures, no one believes him. That is, until some top brass show up in the small town to give him some kind of award. I think it was in color, and it definitely was a comedy. I say Danny Kaye was in it, but my father doesn't agree. Can someone please help? It's driving us crazy! Thanks

Guest Gruccio, Rose

There are two films that I have been going crazy trying to remember the titles of. The first starred Lionel Barrymore as a man in wheel chair trying to protect his young grandson from Death, who hung out in a tree next to the house. As Death continued to linger in the tree, the tree started to die. In the final scene, I believe that both the grandfather and the boy die, and go on to Heaven. The next film was a comedy with James Cagney and Pat O'Brian as either film writers or play writers working as a team in New York. One of the constant lines used in film was "Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl".

Guest bennett, becky

I need help looking for a film. In it a male teacher at an all-girl's school ends up caring for a baby from a blonde woman. He's very compassionate toward the baby, and has a nickname for it like sport or something of that nature. I did see it on TCM once upon a time, but I missed the name of it. Eventually the mother comes back for the baby. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Guest Davis, Emily

I need help finding a movie with the prince falling for the servant theme to it. It's an movie from about 1919 to 1930's. The movies about a prince comes back from a trip and is suppose to be getting married but he has not found his true love but he has a thing for green eyes then he runs into a girl a servant and realizes that he has seen her before. To get her to talk to him he tells her that he a cook at the palace. The only other thing that I can remember is that it also a really crazy looking old lady in it.

Guest E., Gary

Hi Toni, You might try E-Bay, or Half.com. I recently sold the uncut version on E-Bay. You also may want to try moviesunlimited.com, or scholarsbookshelf.com. Be careful to shop around and get the version that is uncut. Good luck! Gary E.

Guest E., Gary

Hi, I cannot remember the name of that movie, but Glenn Ford is the star. He plays a mob boss and it is a great movie! Try searching for Glenn Ford movies. Good luck! Gary E.

Guest sols, s.e.

Hi everyone! I have been trying to figure out the name of a movie I saw here on TCM. It is the story of a rather poor family during world war 2, and they wanted to have a soldier over for dinner, and they werent able to for some reason, I dont remember, but the children found a soldier walking on the beach and thought that he was the one that they tried to "adopt". I remember there was a girl about 20 or so, and a younger boy and girl, and the young girl had a chicken named Miss Easter. Does anyone remember this movie?? Thanks for your help!

Guest Spires, Ranae

I am searching for a movie , which someone has responded in saying it is Dear Ruth but I have never been able to find a movie that exists at any stores to purchase or on-line. The movie is about a young girl writing to a marine which she pretends to be her old sister. The marine gets a leave and invites his self to visit her. She then (the Young girl) has to tell her family that the marine is coming to visit, and out of respect for this marine that is serving for our country they go along with with the idea that the old sister was the person that was writing to him. The older sister has to read all the letters that have been written to the younger sister so the marine has no clue. The alder sister is engaged to bank officer, where she works and he is jealous of the situation which is very comical. Please help me find this movie and where can I purchase it? or Can you find when it will play again on Turner Classic Movies. Thanks again Ranae

Ranae the movie "Dear Ruth" (1947) with William Holden, Joan Caulfield and Mona Freeman is not available on VHS or DVD at the moment. It's a Paramount picture and both TCM and AMC run Paramount pictures from time to time. Keep an eye on the monthly TV schedules which both stations supply on the internet (usually 3 months in advance). Good luck.

Guest McConkey, Robert

I am looking for the name of a movie that came out in the 1950's . The movie is set in 1940's. Where a teenagers mother dies and he is raised by a japanese family. he is taught japanese by his new mother and he teaches her english. WWII hits he is drafted and his family is put in a japanese camp here in the states. Hating war he write to his mother say how can i kill my brother. In the movie he talks japanese soldiers to surrender a whole island. Anyone know the name of this movie. Please send me a email. Thanks Robert

Robert the movie your looking for sounds like "Hell to Eternity" (1960) with Jeffrey Hunter, David Janssen and Vic Damone. It's the true life story of Guy Gabaldon who was raised in a foster home of Japanese people.