Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is That Movie?

Guest TCMhost-Claire

looking for the name of a dick powell movie where he plays a dog who was poisoned who comes back to find his killer. it's a mystery/comedy and either AMC or TCM showed it once a while ago. can anyone email me at shadowkell@earthlink.net with this info?

hey, I was reading the various films, and this one sounded cool, but no one knew what it was: a mystery movie and cannot remember the title or who the main characters are. It's BW, perhaps late 30's or early 40's. The setting is an old house or mansion, the mystery is the hidden document. Everyone is running around trying to figure out where the "key" is hidden. There is a simple-minded girl who wanders in and out of scenes singing a riddle which goes (spelling is phonetic): "honors flysis, incomb besis, onches nobis, inob kesis." This riddle reveals where the key to the chest containing the papers is hidden (a will or deed I think). I would like to find out the name of this movie so I can watch for it again. Any help is appreciated.

I saw a creepy movie on television in the 1970's - I can remember the details but not the title! It has been ANNOYING me for years! The movie was about a young girl who could not speak (I think). She lived in a two storey house with her parents and another relative (perhaps an aunt / grandmother). She was given a dollhouse that was the replica of the two storey house she lived in. I can remember the girl making replicas of the people that lived in the house from potatoes. She cut pieces of material from the clothes of everyone that lived in the house and dressed her potato people in it. I think they were kind of like voodoo dolls. I can remember strange things began to happen to the people in the house - the girl pushed one of the potatoes down the stairs,(the one which represented her grandmother I think) then coincidentally, her grandmother fell down the stairs and died. The movie ends when the doll house catches fire, then the two storey house burns down. PLEASE HELP ME TO REMEMBER THE TITLE!!

• 3 weeks later...

There was a B&W mystery film in which a family was looking for a rich relative's fortune (it turned out to be in a certain chair) I remember one scene was that a record with the deceased's voice was playing and it said if he was murdered to destroy the record, but if he died of natural causes to keep on listening. Please, if anyone knows the title, please tell me.

This sounds an awful lot like IT'S IN THE BAG (1945) with Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Jerry Colonna, William Bendix, Robert Benchley, Walter Tetley and a few other stars from old-time radio. Allen's acerbic wit is priceless and timeless, and if you love old-time radio, this is a terrific film.

I'm looking for a movie that I believe was set in the 50's. A young newlywed was having difficulties with her husband, and her mother or mother-in-law gave her a book on housetraining dogs to use as a guide.

Can anyone tell me the name of the movie?

the TV movie was called "Maybe I'll Come Home In The Spring" and it definitely was starring Sally Field. The tv movie about a hippie who returns home after being away for a year also stars Eleanor Parker has her mother and Jackie Cooper as her father. The film hasn't been shown in years that I can see, but it is still relevant today. A dysfunctional family to boot!!

Okay.. I saw this movie on TMC or AMC quite some time ago. Usually I'm really good at remembering actors and actresses but I can't seem to recall anyone in this movie.

It's probably from 1940 - 1950, B&W, Romantic Comedy of sorts, Man and a woman, I think they are both salespeople, They have a love/hate relationship, they go to a meeting to try to sell these cookies/mints/candies that end up getting everyone drunk, the next day they wake up and find out they are married.

I can't, for the life of me, remember anything else.

there was a message on another bulletin, so i'll put it here where more poepl can see it:

It was a movie i believe around 1952, Black and white and I think it was in the east because everyone was wearing white suits, and there was this one guy who had a sword in his cane and stabbed people through door. any info would be appreciated. thanks

I saw part of a movie a few years ago with a young lady and a boy who was courting her singing "Love ya Love ya honey. Love ya love ya honey...." at the piano. Then they go for a walk but her little brother follows them so they walk faster and faster trying to lose him, but he keeps up. They go round and round the block, until finally she goes inside and the boyfriend leaves. It is funny. Anyone know this film?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching for this movie for nearly 10 years now. It's a b&w, possibly 30's/40's, set in Poland/Russia area maybe. I don't know who the stars are. Female lead was brunette, male lead seemed quite a bit older than her. From what I remember, she was at a girls school or boarding home, something of that nature. They are all informed that the Czar (?) will be coming around for a visit, and this young female ends up going on a carriage ride with him. They fall in love and marry, and toward the end of the movie there is an assassination attempt on him. If I remember correctly, there was also a young solder involved, as well as a blonde woman who was helping this girl while the castle/mansion was under attack. Does this ring *any* bells with anyone? I've searched everywhere and I really am lost for the title of this film. Thanks!

i saw a movie quite a while back and i just cant remember the name, it went something like this. a widow and her young daughter move to a ocean front mansion, where she encounters a ghost who was a grumpy sea captain before he died , now he is trying to scare the woman out of the house because its "his" , so shes not scared, and they go on living together , they fall in love , she finds a story he wrote about being a captain on the seas and takes it to a publisher under her name. she meets a man there and they start to date, hes not a very good guy, but the captain figures atleast hes alive so he leaves them and doesn't come back until the woman , still single, is about ready to die , she is old now and her daughter comes back from college and suprisis her mother when she tells her she knew the ghost to, that he used to play with her when she was little. so the woman dies and the captain comes back for her and takes her with him out the bedroom window to the ocean.

I did a little searching and your movie may be a French film called KATIA. It stars John Loder and Danielle Darrieux. It was remade in the 1950's with Romy Schneider. You can search on www.imdb.com under the title KATIA and see if it seems like the film that you're looking for.

I think that may be it! I did some searching and found that it is also known as Magnificent Sinner. Also checked under Romy Schneider. I saw 2 stills from the film and I believe you have found my movie! Thank you SO much - it's literally been about 6-7 years that I've been searching for this.

Does anyone know if it's in TCM's library? I'm about to request it anyway. :)