Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is That Movie?

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Guest TCMhost-Joy

Pssst! The movie affectionately discussed here as the "pug dog movie" (actually titled "Life With Father") will be aired on June 17th on TCM. Stay tuned for more details!

I once saw a movie that held the name "Splendor in the Grass" that had the storyline of a movie writer in Paris that hires this young woman that he dictates to so she can type up the script. Throughout the movie, they visualize the parts in the movie as they were the characters participating. I'm not sure if the movie is called "Splendor in the Grass", but I was recently made aware of the fact that "Splendor in the Grass" was a totally different movie. So what is the title of the Script Writer one?

Guest yankee

The Blue Veil was my mother's favorite movie. It starred Jane Wyman. She was nominated for an Oscar in '51 or '52 for this movie. We have not been able to find out what happened to this movie ( it is never on TV and all requests for info. have been futile). I wanted to get the movie or at least information for my mother, but she passed away in November before I got anything. Now I feel obsessed to know what happened to her favorite movie. Does anyone know anything?

Guest sc, mj ga

I believe the movie you mean is LIFE WITH FATHER..Irene Dunn as mother, a young martin milner as the boy who sold the elixer. a very young elizabeth taylor as a visitor. also zazu pitts as a visiting cousin. can't remember father but he said oh gad a lot in the movie .. hope this helps

Years ago I saw a movie I suspect was made in the 40s. In it there was a scene with 3 black men that did a tap dance routine. The scene appears to be in a ballroom setting where 2 of the men were dressed up as waiters working the room and the third was dressed up like a chef. Each one jumped up on one table and did a minuet routine with the chef going last. I would love to buy the movie just for that scene. Can you tell me the name of the movie?Years later I saw a man named Jimmy Slyde in the movie Tap with Gregory Hines, Harry Wicholas and the tap dancers from years ago. He seemed to have the same style as the chef. Im guessing it may have been him as a young man. Other then that Im stumped.

Guest cfrances

I looked up You Came Along on IMDB and noticed that the script is by Ayn Rand. I can't imagine her writing a romance!! The capsule reviews refer to some big secret that's revealed about one of the characters...is this secret something that ties in with Rand's usual themes of freedom, individualism, capitalism, etc.?

Guest JackS

In 1951 (when I was 10) I saw part of a movie, the gist of which was escapees or convicts holed up in a house. The main character was napping on a couch and had a dream of a jail cell descending upon him. I think I remember it because I never saw the ending. Can anyone help? I need to see the ending. This has bugged me for 50 years.

Guest couchpotato

"To Have and Have Not" is the movie . . . Andy Williams was hired to overdub Slim (Lauren Bacall) on "How Little We Know", but some sources say that the director opted to use Bacall's voice afterall.

Guest motown

It's unfortunate but, I too can't recall the title of the movie or the name of the ship. The movie was very well written and sucked you right in from the beginning. I can only remember a few stars. Paul Henreid, John Gar field, & Edmund Gwynn to name a few. If anyone out there can recall this movie.... help us with a name.

Guest motown

I recall the picture you are speaking of but like yourself I can't recall the name of the ship or the title of the movie. I can tell you that you were right about being sucked into the events of the movie. You were right about the couple trying to commit suicide with the gas in the apartment. What you didn't see was the car full of people that was killed by a bomb. That carload of people also wound up on that ship. I can recall some of the stars of the movie like: Edmund Gwynn, Paul Henreid, and John Garfield. If there is anyone who can help us out....please do.

Guest clore

It's right above your post, "Between Two Worlds."I wish I could comment further, but it's been at least 30 years since I've seen it.

Guest kstquilter

I do think the father got mad about a rubber plant. I thank all of you for letting me know the title of this movie and when it will air. we'll be watching on June 17th!

Guest TCMhost-Claire

I'm afraid my searches have also turned up nothing on The Blue Veil. It doesn't appear to be available on video. What a shame--it sounds like a great movie!

Guest TCMhost-Claire

I'm not familiar with the scene that Lee mentions above in "I'm Stumped". Does it ring a bell with anyone else?I looked up Jimmy Slyde, and the only films I could find that list him are Tap and Round Midnight, another film made in the 80s. You might take a look at http://www.tapdance.org. This site has information on the history of tap dance and tap dancers, as well as reviews of books that might have more information. Good luck!

Guest Winocki, Joe

Does anyone know if Al Jolson did any "Vitaphone" short subjects? If so, does TCM have these and have they ever been presented? I realize that Mr. Jolson's blackface routines in his early Warner Brothers films ("Wonder Bar", "Big Boy" etc..)are politically incorrect, but the music is wonderful.

Guest on, Marching

I've been trying for years to find out if a movie titled "Hellsapoppin" is still in print, in any form or library. It starred Olsen & Johnson and a big cast of other comedians of the day. I saw this movie at least once and remember the cowboys chasing the indians on horseback across three different movie sets that were filming something else. Thanks for any info.

Guest TCMhost-Claire

JackS, I've been searching around but haven't found any good leads for your question. Are you sure you saw the movie in 1951? There were three movies made in 1955 that featured escaped convicts holed up in houses.Was the movie a drama or a comedy, do you recall? Anything else about it?