Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is That Movie?

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Guest couchpotato

I believe these films with Al Jolson fall into the "Vitaphone" category. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. They are: The Jazz Singer The Singing Fool Say It With Songs Mammy Big BoyI may have left some out . . . these are the only ones I can think of.

Guest on, Marching

Thanks to Clore I was able to check out "Hellzapoppin" on IMDB and get all the info needed. It starred Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson, also Martha Raye. Thanks again for your help.

Guest Waffled

I watched this 1942 classic again this morning for a little bit and I think I noticed the name Schindler on a list of names they show, I might have been mistaken it was very early in the morning. Just curious if anyone here noticed that by chance?

Guest clore

You'll find me all over the message boards there also.But, for anyone, if you have the tiniest scrap of info, you can search by star (or any major crew name), title, year, studio, keywords...Then, once you find the title, there are links to purchase, viewer comments. pro reviews, trivia, goofs. You can truly add to your viewing experience by using it (as with this site), so enhance your enjoyment and take a look.

Guest precodekd

The film you are trying to recall is none other than the enormously charming Life With Father. Aside from being a great family movie, with the wonderful Irene Dunne and William Powell, it also showcases a beautiful young Elizabeth Taylor. I think it was released in 1947 but am not sure. It is often on and well worth rewatching!

Guest CornellWoolrich

I forgot I posted this, but am glad to see such a complete answer! Hopefully, I can track down the Bacall version. BTW, I think it is Bacall singing in the film, or a very good attempt to sound like her. In fact, the roughness to her voice is part of the charm!

Guest GrapeJug

There are 2 movies I absolutely loved but have only seen once. Consequently I can't remember some very important info. The first is a Bette Davis movie. She plays a socialite whose family loses all their money some kind of way, so Bette marries this rich man that she doesn't love, but who really loves her. I think the title is Mr. something or another, I'm not sure what. The other I know the name of. It's called A LION IS IN THE STREETS. What I can remember is the plot. A backwoods salesman in Louisiana goes against corrupt politics. (I think this was set during the Huey Long days). Anyway, the salesman gets involved in the politics himself, and becomes corrupted, but he still has the faith of the people. On election night there's a terrible storm, none of the backwoods farmers can get to the polls to vote for the salesman. So the salesman gets up a caravan to try and get as many farmers to town as possible. But his wife finds out he's been fooling the people all this time. So she shoots him for being no better than the other politicians. And then the movie ends. It seems like the star was James Cagney, but I can't recall. It's been three years since I've seen it. Anyway if it is Cagney this will be the only movie of his that I enjoy. That's worth something, isn't it?

Guest clore

The Davis film is MR. SKEFFINGTON, and that was Cagney in A LION IS IN THE STREETS, which was directed by Raoul Walsh.The wife was Barbara Hale of Perry Mason fame.

Guest TCMhost-Claire

A restoration is underway of a print of Mammy (1930), recently discovered in the Netherlands, including some long-lost technicolor musical scenes. Some other scenes, though, were compromised by the insertion of dutch title cards. The Nederlands Filmuseum in Amsterdam is working with Warner to restore the black and white scenes and splice them in with the color production numbers. New sound transfers from the discs are likely. For more information, go to http://www.geocities.com/~ppicking/vitaphone53.html and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.BTW, The Jazz Singer was a product of the orginal Vitaphone project, according to The Film Encyclopedia.

Guest GLabovitz

"A Lion Is In the Streets" was one of two movies adapted from the real life Governor of Louisiana Huey Long, who was assassinated by a disgruntled follower. The other version, which was a little more in line with the facts, was "All the King's Men" with Broderick Crawford as Willie Stark. "All the King's Men" was done was about 4 years earlier than "A Lion Is In the Streets." "All the King's Men" may be more "weighty" (it really comes across well in black and white) than "A Lion Is in the Streets" but they both should be seen. Crawford won the "Best Actor" Oscar for this movie in 1950 and the movie won the "Best Movie" Oscar.

Guest clore

The projection speeds of silent and sound films differ, 16 and 24 frames per second respectively.One never knows what equipment is being used when a film is timed, also, some prints of any silent film can vary with the time spent on the inter-titles. The original nitrate prints found their inter-titles actually decomposing faster than the image and in the restoration process, they might not occupy the same length of screen time that they did previously.But the Internet Movie Data Base has it as 163 minutes and Maltin at 178 (and he mentions that some versions run up to 208 minutes).

Guest GrapeJug

I'll look for "All the King's Men." Since it was such a hit in 1950 maybe TCM will screen it next time they run the Oscars marathon.

Guest eve5109

It is so funny you mention that movie. I remember seeing it as soon as I read your description about it. I thought it was wonderful.

Some time back, I saw an old movie on TCM. I did not see the movie from the beginning. Consequently, I did not see the movies title. Hopefully, someone here can help out with that problem. The movie was set somewhere in Asia. A place tucked away and out of sight from the civilized world but stumbled upon by a certain man. The place was named Shangri-La I believe. This place was peaceful and had a leader who was very very old and about to die. The leader was looking for someone to look after Shangri-la after his death. The stranger who stumbled upon Shangri-La was to be that man if he decided to stay. If anyone can put these pieces together, please do. Thank you in advance...

Guest crisopera

Amazingly, I'm the first person to post that the movie you're talking about is LOST HORIZON (1937), directed by Frank Capra, and starring the wonderful Ronald Colman. There's also a horrible musical remake from 1973. Beware! Beware!

Guest GrapeJug

Movies I can't flesh out. The first is sort of a crime drama or film noir, I guess. The plot is about a doctor who meets a nightclub singer and has an affair wth her. I think his name is Dr. Talbot or Taylor; well anyway one of his patients mysteriously dies and the Dr. figures a way out of the undesirable affair. That's about all I know except I think the name of the movie is the name of the singer...it isn't a very good movie, but it's got some sentimental value...Th other is a movie set during WWII, a girl in a small town wants to have a party for a few of her friends and the soldiers they're wooing but somehow the party swells to include every soldier from every base for miles around. All they do at the party is dance, eat hot dogs, and lie around on blankets. Anyone have any ideas on either?

Guest kstquilter

Thanks to everyone who told me the name of this movie. We did get to sit down and watch it last night and it was the movie we had been looking for. We appreciate your help and enjoyed watching the entire movie instead of just the end!

Guest crisopera

Grapejug, I believe that your first movie is perhaps NORA PRENTISS, starring Ann Sheridan. And the second, is, I think, JANIE, starring, uh...I can't remember.

Guest GrapeJug

I think those are the right names. I can't remember who starred in Janie either; that movie is pretty obscure. But at least now I know the name :)

Guest TCMhost-Joy

For libearian4u by TCMhost-JoyNOTE: This was set up as a new discussion by libearian4u, but due to a technical glitch, no posts could be added to it. I have moved it to this discussion as it's a "what is this film" request. Hopefully some of you film buffs will be able to help identify this film. Thanks -- Joy.POST:my dad has wanted to see this movie for years, and we can't find it. he said it was the fighting lady, but we finally got a copy of that, and this isn't the movie he thought it was... he doesn't know who was in the movie, but he remembers the plot as.....a Japanese airplane crashes in a carrier, (he thinks the USS Franklin, but isn't sure about that) this carrier has to limp back from the south pacific to the east coast of US. The main plot is about men who were trapped in the lower decks of the carrier after the attack. The chaplain and a soldier were able to get them out unconventionally (through air ducts or something like that) ... this soldier was supposedly always trying to get out of work so he knew all the hiding places on board.... this is all he can remember, does anyone know the title to this movie? Or who was in it? anything to give me a direction to look. Dad is over 80 and served on a carrier and would love to see this movie again.