Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is That Movie?

Guest TCMhost-Claire

Guest TCMhost-Joy

"After being shown in edited reissue prints for years, this classic has been restored to its original length--though several scenes are still missing, and are represented by dialogue only, illustrated with stills."Has anyone seen the restored version? How does it compare with the reissued, unrestored versions?

Guest Ewig, Brian

One of the reasons it has become so difficult to pin down a "definitive" running time for "Intolerance" is because of the film's unique structure. Since Griffith was intercutting four separate stories, all versions of the film issued subsequent to 1916 contained various omissions and deletions in each of the various subplots -- and it is often unclear whether these changes were authorized by Griffith. (Griffith himself is known to have cut and recut his films over the years, more or less according to whim or current film fashion.) Image Entertainment has issued "Intolerance" on DVD, and this is the version that runs 179 minutes. It also contains an outstanding video essay that shows how thorny the problems of reconstruction are. The essay contains a collection of stills from an alternate version (once screened) of the picture, and this collection clearly shows the French--or "Medieval"--story was once considerably longer than it appears today in any known extant version of the film. This partially rebuts the long-held notion that Griffith never properly developed the French story in the first place.The 179-minute version of "Intolerance" is the longest I've ever seen, by the way. I'm not aware of the 208-minute version being available in any commercial format, although it would be fascinating to see!

Guest GLabovitz

Yes, I remember seeing the cut version on TV in the 50's and in subsequent years. I've seen the "restored" vversion recently a couple of times. Other than the still frames and the dialogue that occurs during their showing, I didn't pick up any difference between the so-called cut and the restored versions. They were both good. Maybe it takes a real Ronald Coleman fan or "Lost Horizon-ophile" or a real movie expert like Maltin to know the exact difference.Lost Horizon is a very enjoyable movie in any version--at least it hasn't been --forgive me for saying it -- "colorized."

Guest GrapeJug

I don't have a very good appreciation for him. I've only seen a couple of his pictures. But I see next month TCM is doing a mini-marathon of his movies. Perhaps I can become a fan of his like so many other members of this site who seem to love him so. Are there any essential Cagney movies to check out?

Cagney was a man with a terrific range of skills. Start off by watching some of his gangster/tough guy roles. THE PUBLIC ENEMY is one of the earliest roles you'll catch him in on TCM. This is famous for him smashing the grapefruit into girlfriend Mae Clarke's face, and is a little stuffy and moralistic, but start here. Then move on to ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES and WHITE HEAT. All three are excellent tough guy roles.Next, be sure to watch some of his pre-Code movies (you KNEW I'd say that, didn't you?). I highly recommend watching BLONDE CRAZY and HARD TO HANDLE, both with the wisecracking Joan Blondell. I love Cagney's irreverance and devil-may-care attitude in both of these movies, plus he and Joan Blondell had great chemistry.Be sure to catch Cagney dancing in FOOTLIGHT PARADE (could also qualify as a pre-Code, as it's a little racy too) and YANKEE DOODLE DANDY. Besides being an excellent actor, he was an accomplished dancer as well. Finally, watch a few films from the end of his career. Try ONE, TWO, THREE and look for his brief cameo role in RAGTIME. If TCM replays it, catch the bio they did on him, with Michael J. Fox narratoring. It is full of interesting information and interviews.Can you tell I'm a Cagney fan?

Guest bltapley

Hey Clore,It's been over a week since I logged on and what do I find but a whole new--and very helpful--format for the message board. It's great! Very well thought-out. Helps you to track the original along with the replies, etc. Whoever dreamed it up, thanks! Byron in atlanta

Guest Miss-scarlett

"Love Me Or Leave Me" with Doris Day. It is the true story of singer Ruth Etting. Cagney plays her agent/boyfriend who is not too nice!

Guest teresap

A movie about a couple (both married to others I think) who meet yearly for an affair. At the end the woman goes to the city(?) and ends up seeing on a scrolling marquis that her lover has died (apparantly he was some well to do person). Movie might have taken place around in the 40's.

Guest TCMhost-Claire

I haven't seen The Story of Three Loves, but the internet movie database (www.imdb.com) lists only one song for the soundtrack: "Rhapsody On a Theme of Paganini", written by Sergei Rachmaninoff and performed by pianist Jakob Gimpel. Does that sound like it could be the song?

Guest TCMhost-Joy

Cant think of the western with the guy with the harpoon? Whats that film noir with Brian Donlevy and the hearing aid? Trying to think of which film Fred Astaire danced on the ceiling? How about which silent film featured Buster climbing into a movie screen? Post your general questions and topics here.

Guest TCMhost-Joy

This song is also featured multiple times in the film "Somewhere In Time," and it is most definitely a haunting melody.

Guest Winocki, Joe

I recently posed a question on this board inquiring if Al Jolson made any Vitaphone "SHORTS". I'm assuming that the remarks posted after my question referring to his Vitaphone feature films were intended to answer my question. If so, I thank you very much.However, I'm still asking the same question but I'm only inquiring about possible "Short Subjects" he may have made, not features. If any exist has anyone seen them prsented on TCM?

Guest lunchlady

I want to find this classic movie-can someone help?It was about a navy guy( Gregory Peck or Cary Grant) and the female star was Ingrid Svenson/Sevson (sp?) and it took place in Paris or somewhere like that. the female star had a little boy in the movie and his daddy was gone somewhere. The story went that Ingrid ended up murdering the male actor? It was a thriller and suspenceful plot.I really liked the movie but dont know what its called. I remember in the title "MIRACLE" but can't seem to get the rest of the title. I thought maybe it was a Hitchcock film but not sure. I think the date of the movie was in the 1950's? Any one knows what it is PLEASE email me with the info. I really want to see this movie again or find it to rent. Thanks again for reading my message. Cookjlw@aol.com

Hi Joe! This may not answer your question any better than the other posts, but you might want to give it a try. There is a website that is devoted to sharing news about Vitaphone disk/film restoration. Apparently, in the late 1920's Vitaphone developed a disk/film method that was used successfully in many, many shorts. The people who run this site are devoted to finding the film and disks, getting them to match up, and then record a "sound" version restoration of these shorts. To find the website, go to your favorite search engine and type in "Vitaphone Project." Scroll down through the hits that come up, and you should find this one. When you get to the site, there are 8-10 of their newsletters that list what Vitaphone film/disks have been found and restored. I am pretty sure that in my reading, I remembered them saying something about Jolson's shorts. Since he was very popular during this transitional time period, I imagine you would be able to find some information that you're looking for.I watch TCM pretty regularly, and I don't think I have seen any Jolson shorts. You can try requesting them but you won't be able to know exactly when they will be shown if TCM does decide to show any.The best of luck to ya!

Some time back, I saw an old movie on TCM. I did not see the movie from the beginning. Consequently, I did not see the movies title. Hopefully, someone here can help out with that problem. The movie was set somewhere in Asia. A place tucked away and out of sight from the civilized world but stumbled upon by a certain man. The place was named Shangri-La I believe. This place was peaceful and had a leader who was very very old and about to die. The leader was looking for someone to look after Shangri-la after his death. The stranger who stumbled upon Shangri-La was to be that man if he decided to stay. If anyone can put these pieces together, please do. Thank you in advance...

Guest Alix

I believe the title you are looking for is LOST HORIZON with Ronald Coleman. It's an excellent movie, even with the photo stills they've used to replace the lost footage. Hope this helps ya!

Guest mischief20911

I'm looking for a movie that I believe takes place in an underwater world. There is a huge cache of gold bars, and I think some of the cast of characters in the movie are going to try to steal some of this gold. It is a color movie. I seem to recall there being a large cast of well known actors or semi-well known. Does anyone else remember this movie?

Guest Colleen

I've been trying to think of this movie for over a month now. I remember seeing it in the 70's and all I can remember is that it had to do with a HOBO riding the rails. The actor was very well known during that time, but of course, I can't think of his name. All I recall is that he and others would try to ride the train for free. Conductors were always trying to catch the hobos. They would beat them to a pulp with their steal pipes if they found them and throw them off the train. It got to a point where instead of riding inside the cars, this guy started to ride underneath. I believe he would tie himself on underneath the cars with his belt. Does anyone have a clue as to what movie I can't get out of my head?

Guest weaslin

Hello- I was wondering if someone could help with a movie title. It is very old...perhaps right after audio was introduced on film. The plot is about a woman who is married to an officer in the Navy. The wife finds out she has Tuberculosis but doesn't tell her husband that is about to leave on his ship for months. He takes off without ever knowing his wife is dying. The end of the film, we see the wife looking out the back window of a car looking after her husband and his ship. I know that's a tough one. Stretten@earthlink.netweaslin@aol.comThank you....thank you!

Guest Winocki, Joe

Hi Alix.... Thanks for the reply to my question and the tip on the "Vitaphone Project". I found it and I will be looking it over.I appreciate it!

Guest tmon

I just saw the tribute to 100 years of cinema short. The short uses a piece of music that sounds very familiar to me. I love the song but just can't place it. Can anyone help?