Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Masculine Role Models for Young Women

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}Hey, everyone throws things once in a while when they're steamed up (perhaps like the coffee Sepia was drinking.)

> Once, upon finishing a book I realized I loathed, I threw it across the room.

>

> (It was "The Story of O", and I had to read it for some university course. Truely.

>

>

>

> Ummm...okay. LOL

>

Dargo wrote:

*Yeah, and just THINK... "The Onion" didn't even have to alter THIS trailer in order to make this FUNNY!!!*

*I mean, talk about your simplistic ARCHETYPES here, EH?!!!*

*LOL*

*(...btw...I sure hope those words "simplistic" and "archetypes" I just used don't fall under that there "highfalutin ten dollar word" category here, 'cause I MAY NOT be able to ever live that down if they ARE!!!)*

"The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. It was incredibly motivating to me. It encouraged me to think as an individual, take risks to reach my goals, and responsibility for my successes and failures. I loved it."

Mark Cuban Dallas Mavericks owner and dot com Billionaire.

Jake in the Heartland

Well, then it appears I "failed" then, eh Jake?! LOL

Though, I''m certainly glad to know that that oversimplified little "parable" of Ms.Rand's helped SOMEBODY to achieve their goals, anyway!

(...and that Mark could eventually win the NBA Title thanks in large part to his being able to afford some widebody rebounders and tough defenders on that team of his which for years were extremely lacking on those points!)

LOL

Btw Jake, have I mentioned how I was absolutely SHOCKED that the great coach Greg Popovich in game 6 of THIS years NBA Finals didn't have his team foul one of the Heat players and send 'em to the line with 17 seconds left to go, and so Ray Allen couldn't get off that 3 point shot to tie it up and send the game to OT???

(...and where of course The Heat would unfortunately go on to beat the Spurs in THAT game and then win Game 7...or maybe I have already, EH?!...yeah, well maybe Greg never read Ayn's book, and so maybe THAT explains that too, EH?!)

LOL

First off, my Mom WOULDN'T have literally slapped anyone, except if they dropped an "F" bomb in their discussion. It was only one of a very FEW cuss words she would utter. But the LOOK on her face if someone suggested such a thing in earnest would be as hard as a slap.

And no, I didn't actually throw my coffee cup. But my level of disgust was such that doing so wouldn't have been out of line.

I read "The Fountainhead" at a late age( which at this point was a YOUNG age) mostly to see what the "racy" legend about it was. Turned out to be pretty tame compared to many of the books I've read up to that point.

But I get Jake's point about self determination and being in control of one's destiny that the story conveys. It's just too bad they tragically miscast the movie.

Sepiatone

>But I get Jake's point about self determination and being in control of one's destiny that the story conveys. It's just too bad they tragically miscast the movie.

Yeah, AND that Rand's own dialogue in the film, and in which she demanded AND received total control over, is sooooo freakin' stilted and preachy TOO!!!

LOL

(...btw Sepia, so what do YOU think?...SHOULD Popovich have to had his team foul one of the Heat's players at the end of Game 6 or NOT???)

LOL again.

Hmmmm...then not even a Pistons fan, eh?!

(...well then, I sure hope FINANCE at least sees this thread now, and will at least give me HIS usual "concise and to the point" opinion about this matter, anyway!!!)

LOL

>Dargo wrote: Yeah, AND that Rand's own dialogue in the film, and in which she demanded AND received total control over, is sooooo freakin' stilted and preachy TOO.

That self-determination is laudable, but when it comes at denying others, social breakdown, and taking control of other's lives, it became philosophically a train wreck of thought. That is why objectivism is not considered a actual philosophy. Don't blame me. It was promoted as an anti-intellectual-intellectualism. But then, it was ultimately a masculine woman's role model.

Now, if we could imagine Dorothy in the land of OZ, and with objectivism philosophical views intact, Dorothy would be learn the inherent power of The Wicked Witch of the West as a maker and her grasp of the takers in OZ, and Dorothy would certainly look at Glinda and her ilk as the parasites who only want happy times without much work. Those Flying Monkeys were contributing to the Wicked Witch of the West.

I was quite surprised to see that swimming scene for the first time. Never knew it was in there. Wonder how many shocked 1930's Moms drug their kids out of the theater? Or their husbands?

I also wonder how they kept Johnny's loincloth from being shown at a 90 degree angle? ;)

But what's funny is, many women I know would think Tarzan is the perfect mate!

Rugged, handsome, full of raw, brute strength, knows only enough to survive and does little, if any, talking! :)

Sepiatone

>But what's funny is, many women I know would think Tarzan is the perfect mate! Rugged, handsome, full of raw, brute strength, knows only enough to survive and does little, if any, talking! :)

Hmmmm...now wouldn't ya think any woman with at least half a brain would get pretty freakin' bored with a guy like that after, say, 3 months???

(...naaah, make that 2 months...I DID say "a woman with at least HALF a brain" here, remember!)

Hmmm..now wouldn't ya think any woman with at least half a brain would get pretty freakin' bored with a guy like that after 3 mos

DARGOU ! ....That's like saying "Wouldn't Any Guy get BORED with MARILYN MONROE After 3 Mos. "

( and I think We All KNOW the answer to THAT, Right ?!)

Twink

Well, maybe you DON'T know the answer to that, Twink!

Uh huh, because knowing how screwed up Marilyn was emotionally in REAL life, and seein' as how the roles she specialized in playing were often that of an "Airhead", AND because she never really did all that much for me ANYWAY...then personally I would have probably been "bored" with her after about half an hour!

(...oh, and I forgot to add here...I can't STAND women who put on that little "Baby Talk" breathless little voice thing EITHER...yep, gimme a woman who sounds like Lauren Bacall and who gives me the impression she's "been around the block" a few times in her life and "knows the score", ANY day of the week!!!)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jul 17, 2013 10:39 AM