Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Johnny Carson

JMary

I loved every interview and Conan's intros. Those were the good old days when people went on late night and actually were interesting and funny. They didn't need to talk about their latest project. There will never be another Johnny!!

• 3 months later...

I agree that Jack Paar wasn't a comedian. He was unlike anyone else -- he was just himself. Some people watched him without fail; others couldn't stand him.

Which reminds me of some of his frequent guests. There was Genevieve, on whom I (and a few million other guys) had a major crush. Once Paar was talking about a movie starlet who wore a very plunging neckline. Genevieve said, "You could see her 'comme ?a'?" The station's switchboard was soon flooded with callers demanding to know what she had said. (Thanks to my high school French, I wasn't shocked.)

Then there was Jack Douglas, a gag writer with an off-center sense of humor. He told of man who committed suicide in an unusual way -- he jumped into a vat of lanolin, and softened to death.

Douglas also claimed to be writing a biography of Adam, titled "No Navel to Guide Him."

My father really liked Jack Paar, and he was always a bit sorry that Paar gave up the Tonight Show. My dad never really warmed up to Carson that much. Allen, Paar, and Carson each did the show their own way. I'm not sure that Allen or Paar could have ever endured a 30 year run like Johnny Carson did.

You remember correctly.

After Paar's late night show ended he had a program for a while in prime time. I watched it a couple of times, but it just wasn't the same. He needed to be seen late at night, where there was the sense that anything could happen -- and in his case, sometimes it did.

I remember the Paar program. It was on Friday nights at 10pm, so I could stay up and watch it, if my parents did. I was too young to ever catch his late night show.

I think Jack Douglas's wife was named Reiko. I used to see them on a lot on the Merv Griffin show (when he was syndicated)....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings