Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GEORGE SANDERS!

Happy Birthday George-the most lovable cad in film.

th?id=H.4776086290366632&pid=15.1

Anyone know the story about how he served ZsaZsa divorce papers? I remember howling when I heard it-but don't recall enough to paraphrase in front of this group of experts.

th?id=H.4775291710147241&pid=15.1

>I don't think he would be to much fun at a party. What if he got bored?

Well, if you're sayin' what I THINK you're sayin' here sfp, then it's very simple.

(...before the party, you hide all the pills in your medicine cabinet)

I think I remember a Shirley Jones interview where she said that she had heard that George Sanders had a reputation for being a jerk, but she said he was kind to her and her young son who visited her on set (Dark Purpose, I think)

What a character actor, though, eh. They don't make them like that anymore!

You got that right! While there are quite a few extremely talented actors working today, I can't think of one to even compare to him......................

Edited by: Geminigirl on Jul 4, 2013 11:05 AM

You now have me attempting to think of the last or most recent "George Sanders type" we've had in films, GG.

The only one I can think of might be Alan Rickman.

Yes? No? Or can you think of one that might come close to George in this regard?

(...notice I said "come close", because as people have noted here, no one will or could ever top George in his ability to project the dapper, eloquent and sophisticated "cad" on screen, of course)

Hmmmm....Douglas, "for lack of a better word, is good" ;) in that film I suppose, Twink.

However, other than that particular film, I don't think he's primarily known for portraying the "dapper, eloquent and sophisticated cad" such as George was and my pick of Alan Rickman is, wouldn't ya say?!

I agree Dargou, that's why I mentioned WALL STREET because Only in that movie, I thought he was pretty suave. Of course there is no Other George Sanders or even anyone close like him.

Peter Jennings was very sauve, but of course he was CANADIAN !!

Well, I think the only person back in the day who MIGHT have ever considered Peter Jennings a "cad" COULD have been Richard Nixon....and during the time Peter was reporting the latest developments about Watergate on TV! LOL

(...though I might have my timeframe a bit askew in regard to when Peter presented the ABC World News, as I know he was at first considered too young and inexperienced to be ABC's news anchor his first go around and was subsequently reassigned for a while before making a comeback in that role some years later)

Peter had been ABC News anchor once before, in the sixties, before he was ready for it. It was then that he began his apprenticeship as a television journalist, before becoming the chief correspndent based in London.

He became ABC's news anchor sometime between 1982 - 1985.

Twink

You see when your serious you make very sound comments! Alan Rickman is a great choice for a Sanders type modern actor. He can play the cad (Die Hard), as well as suave. He is very versatile.

Eeh! Twink was probably just thinkin' of Eric Sevareid, THAT'S all Lavender!

(...uh huh, maybe you don't know this but before becoming one of Paley's Boys at CBS News, Eric actually got his start as an understudy to Warren William!!!) LOL

;)