Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM, stop the Letterbox short, please

I know TCM needs filler between movies, but listening to Scorsese and Pollack, et al whine about "pan n' scan" is getting on my nerves.

They try to portray "TV execs" as bad guys for ordering "pan n' scan". Of course "pan n' scan" was always annoying, but at the time it was done it was necessary. At that time it was done, we all had 17" TV's. To show a wide screen movie in letterbox on those TV's would have been like watching a movie on a smart phone... only the resolution would have sucked and we'd have had to sit three feet from the TV.

Why does TCM keep running this? Nobody runs "pan n' scan" anymore. We all have wide screen TV's with a variety of aspect ratios and can watch movies as they were shown in theaters. Why try to villify guys who did the what was necessary given the technology of their times and whose "crimes" no longer harm anyone?

Many cable stations (and movie cable stations) still run pan and scan versions. I see them all the time. That said, I'm tired of seeing it too, but it costs money to create new shorts. I'm sure that's why.......

>That said, I'm tired of seeing it too, but it costs money to create new shorts. I'm sure that's why.......

Saaay, ya wanna know what might not cost TCM all that much for some new Shorts/Fillers?

Well, how about if they purchase or rent all those old "What's My Line" shows from GCN and maybe show the "mystery guest" segments of that show featurin' all those old movie stars? Now wouldn't that be kinda fun to see?

(...though come to think of it, maybe this has already all been brought up before around here, huh!)

LOL

Well, just as long as they don't "pan and scan" out Arlene Francis too much, I'd be more than satisfied!

AND as long as people would remember that the momentarily "panned and scanned" out Bennett Cerf was INDEED Bennett Cert and NOT Elmer Fudd, then that shouldn't present too much of a problem EITHER, wouldn't ya think?

(...or as Bennett would say during the opening of each program: "And now, heahas ouwah Modawaytah, John Chawals Daly!")

CaptainRenault said...

Why does TCM keep running this? Nobody runs "pan n' scan" anymore. We all have wide screen TV's...

======================================

No, we don't "all" have wide screen TV's. I'm still watching a regular TV from 1988 that refuses to die, and have two others as back-up if it ever does finally conk out, that are from similar vintage, if not older. And some of my friends also haven't felt the need to upgrade to wide screen (although don't have sets quite as old as mine).

Admittedly, those who have no interest in or are in no hurry to "upgrade" to wide screen are probably in the minority...I still play 78 RPM records, 45's and LP's, record music on audio cassettes, and play and record VHS video tapes. And I'm just fine with all of those allegedly out-dated formats.

Okay, then just stand at your mailbox for the next 10 days and that check(or "cheque", if ya wanna go all French here) o' mine SHOULD be in there by then. And AAH...No CHEATIN' now! Ya gotta stand by that sucker 24 hours a day! Okay, you can lay down next to it for 8 of those hours...I'll allow ya that.

(...and no, I don't trust that there "PayPal" thing AT ALL, just in case you're wonderin')

And you know I do ;) Here's an idea, you can probably get a deal on airline tickets with your connections, invite us over to your place, I'm sure your wife would just love to have all your TCM friends over. LOL.

==============================

Hey, sounds swell! So, when are we goin'?

Dargo2 said...

(...but I'll betcha watchin' an itty bitty Peter O'Toole crossin' the desert in that Letterbox format on YOUR TV, isn't near as good as watchin' it on MY Hi-Def 50in TV screen!)

===========================

That's okay...I don't ever intend to willingly see another moment of that way-to-long boring over-rated snooze-fest again anyway!

Instead, give me 4 or 5 fast & fun Monogram or PRC's that I can enjoy in the same amount of time it would take to struggle through that desert thing, and I'll be happy!

Yeah, I've watched this about 50 times. I get it already.

What I'd love is if they'd make more of "What A Character." I've seen only three of these, and they could make at least 50 more.

Speaking of character actors, my wife and own three TCM published books: Leading Actors, Leading Actresses and Leading Couples. I've often told my wife that if TCM wanted to publish a book about character actors, it would be about three times the thickness of the books I just mentioned.

Of course, anytime TCM airs a MGM or Warner Brothers movie I'm always checking the credits for familar names of character actors. Hell, I even check the credits for Cedric Gibbons or Irene. Damn you, TCM!

LOL

Well, I have to say I wouldn't have a problem with all that, however, ya know that little motorcycle rally I've mentioned I throw every June that brings about 20-30 folks to our home here in Sedona...well ya see, my wife was just sayin' the other day how nice it is that we only do somethin' like that ONCE a year, and I gotta say I agree with her.

BUT, tell you folks what...IF ya ever find yourself around this beautiful area of the country, you just send me a little ol' PM tellin' me when that'll be, and I'm sure we can work somethin' out.

(...though the airfare will be your responsibility) ;)

> {quote:title=CaptainRenault wrote:}{quote}I know TCM needs filler between movies, but listening to Scorsese and Pollack, et al whine about "pan n' scan" is getting on my nerves.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Why does TCM keep running this? Nobody runs "pan n' scan" anymore. We all have wide screen TV's with a variety of aspect ratios and can watch movies as they were shown in theaters.

>

Captain, my Captain - I must take exception to this post for one simple reason.

While, I too am a little tired of this particular segment, I must point out that not all people with widescreen TV's understand or in fact care about letterboxing.

I can't tell you how many homes I've been to where they refuse to correct the aspect ratio of the program airing be it a movie or a TV show.

A few of them have told me - I paid for a big screen TV I want it all covered.

I keep hoping for a multitude of epiphanies but I sincerely doubt this will ever change.

So, alas, I'm glad it's still airing even though Pollack is dead and none of those directors looks the same.

Yancey

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings