Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix To Groove Hard To!!! Mon, July 8-Sun, July 14!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!! Monday, July 8-Sunday, July 14!!

Hey, hope everyone is totally grooving and hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend and will enjoy a fantabulous week ahead!!!

For a glimpse at my grooves for the remainder of this current week you are invited to visit this thread: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=169868&tstart=45

And to get us started check out those "Herrrrrrrrresssss Johnnnnnnny!!!" interviews that TCM is laying on us on Monday nights in the month of July!!! This week it will be, starting at 8pm est: Doris Day, Charlton Heston, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, and Tony Curtis!!! Dig it!

Glenn Ford gets the royal daytime treatment on Tuesday, July 9th, and the lineup does include the noir GILDA (1946) at 6am, TERROR ON A TRAIN (1953) at 8am, and the Fritz Lang stunner, THE BIG HEAT (1953) at 9:15am!!! Kickin' the day off right!!

Paul Henreid is in charge of Tuesdays on TCM in July and this time I'll be wanting to check out THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT (1969)!!! With a title like that, I gotta be checking it! I've never seen it before, but apparently Paul is hanging out with Kate Hepburn, Charlie Boyer and Claude Dauphin!

I gotta be honest with ya, Wednesday, July 10 is the day I'm gonna be grooving out to the most!!! It's a John Gilbert celebration all day long and it's filled with silents and early talkies, rock it!!! First up, at 6:30am, it's BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT (1926), still missing the 3rd reel, this flick was considered lost for decades!!! It's so cool that we have a print, even incomplete, to treasure!! Next up, it's John in the silent THE SHOW (1927), with Lionel BArrymore, and Renee Adoree!!! Another silent follows (doesn't it rock???!!!), this time John with Greta Garbo and Lewis Stone in A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS (1928)!!! Final silent flick of the day, John shows up with Ernest Torrence and Mary Nolan, in the William Nigh directed, DESERT NIGHTS (1929)!!! Then it's voice-on in REDEMPTION (1930), with Renee Adoree showing up again, along with Conrad Nagel, and a flick I've not seen before!!! Then it's Wallace Beery, Leila Hyams and Polly Moran showing up with John in WAY FOR A SAILOR (1930)!!! This one rocks!! As does the next one, THE PHANTOM OF PARIS (1931), again with Leila Hyams, Lewis Stone, Jean Hersholt, C Aubrey Smith, Agnes Moorhead, and Ian Keith, this is definitely one you don't wan to miss out on!!! Next up, WEST OF BROADWAY (1931), with John, El Brendel, and Lois Moran!! And finally one that I only saw recently but wouldn't mind catching again, THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA (1934), kind of a low-budget "Grand Hotel" on the high seas!! John is featured along with a great cast (most of whom were reportedly drunk to the gills during most of the proceedings!!) with Walter Connolly, Wynne Gibson (oh yeah!!), Helen Vinson (oh yeah!!!), Alison Skipworth (always a hoot!!), Leon Errol (ditto!!), Victor McLaglen, Walter Catlett, Arthur Treacher, Donald Meek, and Akim Tamiroff!!! What a cast!!! And even The Three Stooges get in on the act!!! Wooowoowoowoo!!!

And that's what I have to say about that daytime lineup, wow, for fans of John Gilbert, silents and pre-codes/early talkies, that's my kind of day on TCM!!! Thank you mucho!!!

Robert Osborne steps in and takes over the reins for the evening's festivities, with his feature "Bob's Picks"! This time, Bob is pickin' some fine lookin' dames in double bills, first up it's Joan Bennett in THE RECKLESS MOMENT (1949) with James Mason and Geraldine Brooks! Fine suspense flick, highly recommended!!! Then it's a flick I've not seen before, this time Joan is mixing it up with Frederic March and Ralph Bellamy in TRADE WINDS (1938)!!! Detectives, mystery, romance, and world wide travel should add up to fun times, can't wait!! Apparently this is the flick where Joan went from blonde to the brunette that most of us know her as!!! Then Bob shifts gears to another lovely dame, Hedy Lamarr, first up in ALGIERS (1938) with Sigrid Gurie and Charles Boyer, then the King of Hollywood his own bad self, Clark Gable and Oscar Homolka in COMRADE x (1940)!!!

For the rest of the overnight, TCM decides to extend that "X" theme, first, at 2:45am, with the 3rd version (that I'm aware of) of MADAME X, this one from 1937, and starring my main man Warren William, Gladys George, and John Beal!!! Then it's sci-fi x territory, with X THE UNKNOWN (1956), with Dean Jagger!!

Tab Hunter gets the daytime block of flix on Thursday, and the ones I'll be groovin' to are the oaters that show up in the Tab Fest! First up, at 6am, it's GUN BELT (1953) with George Montgomery, Helen Westcott, and Jack Elam!!! Then at 9am, THE BURNING HILLS (1956), with Natalie Wood and Skip Homeier!! And finally GUNMAN'S WALK (1958) at 12:30pm, with Van Heflin and Kathryn Grant!!! And one more that I gotta check out, mainly because it's Director William A Wellman's final flick, LAFAYETTE ESCADRILLE (1958)!! Gotta check it, Wellman is one of my all time favorite directors!!

Thursday night, TCM will be offering a memorial tribute to the great Ray Harryhausen!!! Most grooving for me will be the 2am screening of EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956), and THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953)!!! I'd also highly recommend the superb documentary I'M KING KONG: THE EXPLOITS OF MERIAN C COOPER from 2005, if you haven't seen it, or want to check it again, it's worth a wakeup early, or a DVR slot, for sure!!

Again, not really a Francois Truffaut fan, but if you are, you are totally digging Friday nights this month on TCM as his flix are featured in prime time and overnight!

Saturday morning, I'll be totally grooving to ST MARTIN'S LANE (1938) at 6am!!! I've not seen it before, but it features Charles Laughton, Vivien Leigh, and Rex Harrison!! Looks like a totally coolio flick!!! This is followed by the low-budget noir/crime flick, NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH (1948)!!! I really dig on this little known flick, where a largely British cast affects "American gangster slang", which can be somewhat unintentionally funny, but I dig where it's going with it all! Totally cool flick, unique in many respects, it features Jack La Rue, Hugh McDermott, Linden Travers, and Walter Crisham!!! Def rocks! And more def rocks at 10:45am for this week's "Falcon" flick, this time our man Tom Conway mixes it up with Rita Corday, Jane Greer (hotcha-cha-cha!!), Elisha Cook, Jr, Jean Brooks, and Jason Robards, Sr in THE FALCON'S ALIBI!!! You might recognized the plot as it does redo the one from THE GAY FALCON, back with bro, George Sanders, was in The Falcon's shoes, but still a worthy watch! We only have one more of these left after this one, so I'm holding onto this groove for as long as it lasts me!!! I totally dig on "The Falcon" series!

Saturday night will be featuring Rosalind Russell, and the flick I'm really hankering for is one I've not seen before, the 1940 comedy, HIRED WIFE, with Roz, Brian Aherne, Virginia Bruce, and Robert Benchley!! Dig it! Should be a hoot!!

Sunday night looks rockin', with the theme of "Seven Up"!!! First up, at 8pm, it's THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)!!! Believe it or not, this is a flick I've only seen for the first time recently, and I'm gonna dig on this second watch cos it's a great flick with a great cast, including Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Eli Wallach, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, James Coburn, and my man Brad Dexter (hunka!)!!! This is followed by SEVEN ANGRY MEN (1955), historical drama with Raymond Massey reprising his role as abolitionist John Brown, with Debra Paget and Jeffrey Hunter!!! And the "seven" theme continues through Silent Sunday Night, with a two-fer!!!! First up, SEVEN YEARS BAD LUCK (1921) with Max Linder and Thelma Percy, then it's Buster Keaton in SEVEN CHANCES (1925)!!! And last, but not least, the inspiration for the first film in this "Seven" fest, Kurosawa's SEVEN SAMURAI!! Dig it! Roll those 7's baby!

Cool flix, rockin' the house! Thank you for another week of outstanding and groovy cinematic treasures, TCM!!! And to all my fellow TCM-heads, have groovy and fun times!

I am sorry to be coming to this thread so very late but I am sorry to say that this week is mostly empty for me. There are many wonderful movies as there are in all schedules but I am not in the mood for many and others are not to my taste and others I have watched recently and so do not care for a repeat so soon.

Thursday night is a true night to groove! I like his animations very much but these movies are fantastically rad for many other reasons also!

I have not seen *The Falcon's Alibi* (1946). I have looked in our database and it has no details so I must wonder if it is premiere or if it has simply not been scheduled in more than five years. It matters not because I am definitely looking forward to it!

*The Lady Eve* (1941) is the special point for me on Sunday's schedule.

Mark, I hope you get to watch ST. MARTIN'S LANE aka SIDEWALKS OF LONDON, because Vivien Leigh and Charles Laughton are terrific. I believe this is the film which brought Vivien Leigh to the attention of Selznick.

Also looking forward to the Falcon's Alibi. I'm going to miss the series when it ends. Wonder what's coming in its place on Sat mornings? Am looking forward to Joan on Bob's pix night too!

NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH (1948)!!!

This is a fun movie !

Mostly British actors, filming in London, but in an American style gangster film set in either New York or Chicago. :)

Jack La Rue is really good and mean in this film. I love Jack La Rue films!

The Falcon series is an ongoing delight, and I like the fact that "Tom Conway" inherited the lead role from his brother George Sanders.

OTOH I think I've just watched what may be *the* most excruciatingly awful movie ever shown on TCM: That John Gilbert lead balloon called Redemption. The only question is which part of it sunk to the bottom of the ocean the fastest: The "plot", the "acting" (?), or the "authentic" gypsy music, which was highlighted that old gypsy classic Hava Nagila! It was a real triple threat all the way.

But what really makes Redemption special in its unintentional hilarity was that it's *a 1930 movie set in Russia,* with no indication that the time being depicted was pre-1917. Right, I'm sure that Stalin was cool with bands of roving gypsies being spontaneously dropped in upon by western tourists! That's exactly how the Gay-Pay-Oo did it back then!

Hibi, I'm sorry you didn't groove to this past week's Falcon flick! I hope you enjoy this week and next week much better! I actually missed last week's as well, but have it on DVR to groove to soon! I've seen all these before though! I think as the series wound down, they did lose a little steam, and the last two flix are actually re-makes of sorts of some of the early flix when George was sleuthing (and wolfing!!) in the lead role!

These flix show up from time to time and TCM does a pretty good job of airing series flix from time to time in blocks or like this from week to week, so hopefully those that you missed will show up again soon!

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}I'm watching these John Gilbert movies !

>

> THE PHANTOM OF PARIS is really good ! :)

Fred!! I'm totally looking forward to catching up to John Gilbert's flix from the other day! Had to DVR all of 'em as I had to work long hours this week, but hey, something to def look forward to! I think that one is the one I'm MOST looking forward to, but all of them are pretty groovy!!

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH (1948)!!!

>

> This is a fun movie !

>

> Mostly British actors, filming in London, but in an American style gangster film set in either New York or Chicago. :)

>

> Jack La Rue is really good and mean in this film. I love Jack La Rue films!

Oh yeah, this flick totally rocks!!! I can't wait to check it again this Saturday morning!!