Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't miss SH! THE OCTOPUS (1937) this morning at 6:15am!!

markbeckuaf

I totally dig this flick, and it will be screened this morning at 6:15am EST on TCM!!! Woohoooo! Allen Jenkins and Hugh Herbert are a couple of bumblin', stumblin', fumblin' detectives on the case (if you can call it that!!) investigating a lighthouse supposedly haunted by an octopus!!! It's zany, wacky, weird, and loads of groovy fun!!! Dig it! And thank you for the early AM treat, TCM!!

I was still barely awake when it started here at 3:15 am, since I couldnt sleep due to heartburn from the food I ate on the 4th. I recorded it and started to watch it, bit fell asleep after 10~15 minutes. it looks like fun, so hopefullyI'll enjoy it at some point this weekend.

>How did they do that with the old hag at the end without CGI? (And why aren't they still doing it?)

That is done with red or green colored makup and a negatively colored filter that is slid across the front of the lens.

Red makeup and a green filter, or green makeup and a red filter.

Tests have to be made with the type of film used so that the color of the makeup doesn't show up before the filter is placed in front of the lens.

A panchromatic film and light red or light green makeup will look like normal makeup when photographed, but when the graduated filter is slid across the lens, the color darkens.

A sliding graduated filter might be 3 or 4 inches wide and up to 8 inches to 12 inches long.

Notice that when the effect occurs, her shall turns darker too.

Notice also that the tooth that gets darker is, at first, lighter in color than the other teeth.

Also, some graduated filters might start out being red on one end and then fade to green in the middle and be all green on the other end.

These are graduated filters designed to not be moved across the lens.

They are used to darken skies or to add some rose or red color to skies at sunset.

Many B&W films and some color films use the dark graduated filters to darken skies, especially in shooting day for night scenes.

A sliding filter for a film camera might be up to 1 foot long and slid left to right or right

to left, with black and white film, to change the make-up color

on people's faces from light to dark.

neutraldensitygrads.jpg

Pretty neat, thank you for the info. I think it's startling because in a movie from this era you expect to see something like the time-lapse transformation type scene used in many Wolfman movies, which was also fun to watch but not quite as seamless as this effect. Pretty impressive.