Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4th of July

theorist1

I'm very disappointed that our family tradition of watching '1776', on the afternoon/evening of the 4th of July, has been displaced by TCM. The schedule indicates that '1776' will not be shown until the early morning hours of July 5. Instead, TCM has programmed two Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra pictures - both of them fine pictures ('Take me Out to the Ball Game', and 'Anchors Aweigh'), but with little bearing on the holiday.

This is also the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, and I don't see the excellent movie, 'Gettysburg' (1993), based on Shaara's book, 'The Killer Angels', anywhere on the schedule.

This seems to be a terrible lapse in programming, on the part of TCM.

Well baseball is known as America's pastime. Although nowadays football is more popular. I generally don't have a problem with TCM programing. I would admit that a little bit more animation would be nice. Welcome to the board.

Edited by: sfpcc1 on Jul 3, 2013 11:19 AM

Yeah, well, I just wanna know why our new friend here is all upset about TCM not showin' "1776" tomorrow night INSTEAD of doin' what ALL "good patriotic 'Mericans" SHOULD be doin' tomorrow!

(...firin' their guns into the air!)

Yeah, I LIKE that idea o' yours here, finance. I could never get enough of watchin' that little cutie Susanna Hoffs and her big hair in that video, back in the day!

(...and besides, it sure beats the heck outta watchin' on the news yet another country that in this day and age STILL can't seem to quite grasp the concept of "an orderly change of leadership", wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

LOL

Yeah, well, I got a feelin' those folks over there are screwed either way!

(...ya see, I keep thinkin' of sendin' 'em a copy of our Constitution, but for some reason I don't think they'd quite understand the whole concept, and so I never get around to it...eeh, it's saves me the postage, anyway)

BTW, have I ever mentioned to you folks that when I boarded passengers out of LAX for Northwest Airlines in a supervisory position and would work the night of July 4th, because our flights would usually be fairly empty on that evening, I would run a little "game show" at the gates?

Yep, if I noticed the First Class section was fairly empty on a particular flight, I would make an announcement that the first person who could walk to me at the podium and recite just part of the first line of The Declaration of Independence would get a free upgrade.

And to show you how successful our American educational systems are at enlightening its citizenry, it would usually be after at least half a dozen folks would walk up and say, "We the People..." before someone would finally walk up to me and say "When in the course of human events...".

(...yep, makes a fella REAL proud to be an American sometimes, huh!)

LOL

No offense to anyone, but I never understood the musical "1776," especially starring the dude who was a main player on "Saved by the Bell." I wasn't even planning to turn on TCM tomorrow, in anticipation that they were planning to once again show this movie on July 4. Maybe TCM is evolving.

*The Egyptian* is my favorite epic. I've been waiting for it to be screened for years. Maybe it will turn up on Fox one day. Great cast -- Bella Darvi as the **** of Babylon is perfect! A score so monumental it required two great composers: Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman. But actually for July 4, I would like to see a great film set partly on July 4, *Ah, Wilderness!*.

>I'm very disappointed that our family tradition of watching '1776', on the afternoon/evening of the 4th of July, has been displaced by TCM. The schedule indicates that '1776' will not be shown until the early morning hours of July 5

The schedule shows it as being on at 9:30 PM (my time) on the 4th, and 8:30 West Coast time.

>No offense to anyone, but I never understood the musical "1776,"

It is funny but without being offensive, and it is educational about the wrangling of the representatives of the different states, trying to figure out how to start the best country in the world, even though it might not be historically accurate. :)

Don't want to get into off limits polisci stuff, so I'll just say that they don't

seem to have a basic understanding of how democracies work, but in

their defense, they haven't had a whole lot of practice either.

I like 1787 better.

For today I would recommend:

*Young Mr Lincoln*

The main story takes place surrounding the 4th of July festivities in Springfield IL,

For music that always seems to fit the day for me, it's this:

It is also one of the Holidays where everyone seems to wish us a SAFE and Happy Fourth of July.

Well I'm about to head out to my wife's godparents house. My mother in law is also in town (she came from Italy), and there will also be an Italian chef there. So instead of hamburgers and hot dogs I'm going to have a major Italian feast. BUT it starts at 3:00. The fireworks at the beach don't start until 9:00. Can I really stay there 6 hours? I have the feeling I'm going to be a little bit drunk by 7 or so and crashing out on their couch.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings