Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steven Spielberg to remake The Grapes of Wrath

I think Spielberg is a master of the Eisensteinian concept of montage, i.e., creating meaning through juxtaposition of images. And I think he has shown that best, on, of all places, the Academy Awards show. Spielberg was not among those who wanted to present a special Oscar to Elia Kazan. As it happened, the year Kazan received the award was the year the Oscars honored the passing of Stanley Kubrick. Spielberg produced the Kubrick tribute montage, which came after the Kazan presentation. Spielberg ended the Kubrick montage with the "I am Spartacus" scene. It was spine-tingling, and a great way to make a statement.

This is the only Stevie Spielberg film I can say I honestly like. It probably has more to do with Goldie's near-perfect performance; and also the fact I like William Atherton, who in my book should have been a bigger star:

mv5botgznjuxmje3mf5bml5banbnxkftztcwndky

Yeah, the Goldie Hawn flick WAS a pretty well done movie by Spielberg, alright. Not "over-produced" at all. Just a simple little picture done well.

(...btw...are ya gonna call my friend Phil or NOT???)

LOL

;)

Okay TB, while I admit I added some more stuff at the end of my response about my taking my friend's father's word over Roseanne Barr's word about Spielberg's Holocaust movie and maybe after you first viewed it, but I gotta say I'm startin' to get the impression that you don't REALLY peruse ANY of MY posts to you around here as thoroughly as I peruse YOURS to ME!!!

(...I mean, I KNOW you have gotten me "pigeonholed" in your mind here as some kinda "lightweight jokester", but PLEASE in the future TRY to at least discern what I'm sayin' around here, OKAY???!!!)

;)

Dargo,

I really do value all my fellow forum posters and the contributions they make each day to on-going discussions (including you). I think I read at least 85% of your posts, especially if they are in threads with topics that matter to me. If I said I read all your posts or all anyone's posts, that would be inaccurate. Some people have 10,000 to 20,000 or more posts. It would be impossible to look through all of those, and all of yours. I hope you understand that.

Okay, I need to go get some dinner. I will be back later, or else tomorrow morning. Bye for now. :)

TB, I fully understand the issue of "Time-Constraints" which definitely have a bearing upon one's availability to read each and every post at this website. However, when I'm in a semi-serious discussion with another member of this website, I do attempt to take the time to discern what the other person is attempting to say and to answer some counterpoint of theirs in response....though yes, maybe more than I should in a joking manner.

And so, please don't think I'm "picking on you" here, but I occasionally feel you really don't read my replies to you in these sorts of situations and/or at least often feel you have a tendency to skirt or even completely ignore it when I might bring into a discussion we're having some point I might attempt to make or to reply to a question which I might have asked you in these sorts of replies....and the most recent example of my stating that the Holocaust survivor I knew would override the importance of what Roseanne Barr thought of "Schinler's List".

(...and this is all I'm asking here, kind sir...that when I feel I might bring up what I feel might be a very valid counterpoint to yours, that you take the time to respond to it, because I DO very much respect your opinions around here, and even though it might not seem so because of my joking nature...and now please enjoy your dinner)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jul 8, 2013 6:05 PM

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}....he is trying to cash in on the anniversary of Steinbeck's story...

>

> Of course he is, that was My first thought too....that, and all the glory that goes with it to the point where you become convinced that He is responsible for Steinbeck's story.

>

Well, Spielberg will certainly be glorified if everyone starts referring to him as "He" with a capitol "H". I thought that was usually just reserved for the protagonist of the New Testament gospel ( or is it Gospel?)

>Spielberg's best movie? All I will say is...here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women. Having said that I don't know what that Spielberg's gonna do with grapes of wrath. Might eat it I suppose.

Well, FlyBack, I know a lady Osteopath out in California who says she knows exactly what His greatest movie is, and I suggest you call her any time, night or day and ask her. You can reach her at the Hong Kong Oriental Massage Palace in Encino. That"s in the San Fernando Valley just Northwest of Hollywood. Ask for Susie. :)

The Grapes of Rap. A posse of East Coast rappers (Puff Joad, Joadicrus,

4Bit Joad, etc.) head West in a convoy of BMWs and Range Rovers to look

for studio time in Cali. They meet some resistance in Compton, but nothing

can break the Joads' spirit. True that.

Wherever a brother is getting hasseled, I'll be there......with my 9mm.

>Well, FlyBack, I know a lady Osteopath out in California who says she knows exactly what His greatest movie is, and I suggest you call her any time, night or day and ask her. You can reach her at the Hong Kong Oriental Massage Palace in Encino. That"s in the San Fernando Valley just Northwest of Hollywood. Ask for Susie.

LOL

Now THAT was actually a pretty funny and clever mocking of my earlier rather serious take about Holocaust survivors maybe knowing about the validity and accuracy of Spielberg's film than Roseanne Barr does and as TB posited, Fred!

Yep, I have to say that wasn't bad at all! Yep, that was pretty funny and clever, alright!

(...now, SEE how easy it is to laugh at one's self instead of gettin' all defensive and callin' people "cops" for askin' 'em to explain somethin' that they said???...uh huh, it's pretty easy after all, ISN'T it Fred?!)

**** here

I want Spielberg to remake that movie THE COBWEB, aka THE DRAPES OF WRATH. The plot will have the Joads finding shelter at a Los Angeles psychiatric clinic where the staff and the patients are all embroiled as to what fabric will be used for the drapes.

The Joads decide that Southern Californians are crazy, so they decide to go north to the wine country where they make their way picking grapes for Ernest and Julio.

Fred?! Fred?! Are you still out there, ol' buddy? I asked ya a question here, dude.

Yeah, that one about how easy it really is to not get all defensive at the drop of hat after you mistakenly believe you've been "insulted", and maybe bein' able to laugh at yourself now and then!

(...eeh, maybe Fred's tucked himself into beddy-by for the night, eh?!...well, I'm sure I'll get some overly defensive-minded reply by tomorrow, so no big deal)

**** some more

(...oh, and btw Michael the Admin...PLEASE note that all I'm doing here is asking Fred a simple little question after he very cleverly mocked by comment about the Holocaust survivor I knew and in regards to Spielberg's "Schindler's List"...and thus if you would PLEASE allow Fred and I to discuss this further and NOT mistakenly believe I was "zinging" him and then place him and I on that "detention list" of yours, then I would appreciate this EVER so much...now THAT'S not too much to ask, is IT?!)

LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jul 8, 2013 10:21 PM

So it's finally happened...Stephen Spielberg has been officially deified . We must now all refer to him as "He".

This puts a whole new spin on "The Grapes of Wrath". (Isaiah 63: 2-3)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 9, 2013 8:57 AM

>I want Spielberg to remake that movie THE COBWEB, aka THE DRAPES OF WRATH. The plot will have the Joads finding shelter at a Los Angeles psychiatric clinic where the staff and the patients are all embroiled as to what fabric will be used for the drapes. The Joads decide that Southern Californians are crazy, so they decide to go north to the wine country where they make their way picking grapes for Ernest and Julio.

Ya know clore, I actually LIKE this proposal of yours here! Yep, I think it definitely has potential!

(...and who would know better about all those crazy SoCal-ers out there than ME, considerin' that I spent most of my life out there in La La Land, AND the fact that all ya have to do is read almost any of my postings around here to get the sense I would know about all that craziness out there TOO, right?!) LOL

;)

>This puts a whole new spin on "The Grapes of Wrath". (Isaiah 63: 2-3)

Hmmm...sorry MissW, but Isaiah was only 6-1 when he played for the Detroit Pistons, though yeah, his free throw percentage WAS usually about 2 for 3 from the line like ya said here.

(...finance is gonna LOVE this one, seein' as how he's a big NBA fan TOO!) ;)

Thank you, I'm glad that you liked it.

Back in 1984, my (now ex) wife and I along with our then 10-year-old son, visited Los Angeles and we did the L.A. to San Francisco trip on US 1. That was simply gorgeous but when we got back, I saw that our cheap camera failed to do justice to most of the incredible vistas that I shot, so that spurred me to purchase a 35mm Pentax, taking some classes and becoming something of a shutterbug.

Coming back to L. A., we took some other route that had us going through some tiny towns that looked as if they came straight out of Steinbeck. There was one gas station that we stopped at that had those old gas pumps with the bubble on top and the bouncing "balls" within it. It had a name like "Joe's Gas" or similar, no big-league affiliation indicated by the sign. But it was a bit scary to be taken back in time, so we asked for directions to get us back to U.S. 1 since the surrounding terrain was so sun-baked that it looked like the end of civilization.