Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steven Spielberg to remake The Grapes of Wrath

I've spent many a day in Steinbeck Country myself, clore. For about 12 years every summer and up until just a few years ago, a bunch of us guys would ride our motorcycles up from L.A. and to the Monterey and Salinas area and where the Laguna Seca Raceway is located, and in order to watch Superbike motorcycle racing take place.

As you stated, the central CA coast and the immediate inland area is truly some of the most beautiful sections of our country.

What might be especially noteworthy is that while the Salinas Valley is still primarily as Steinbeck would have remembered it with a population of low-rent homes inhabited by farm workers, the Monterey area which of course was the location for his stories of "Cannery Row" and some parts of "East of Eden", is now a very expensive location to reside.

Since *Duel* I've been a fan of Spielberg's style and pace, and it's only gotten better over the years. Plus, ya can't knock critical and financial success. 1941 notwithstanding.

And I can overlook TB's accusations of Spielberg's "riding" the coattails of Ford and Zanuck. He should know. He himself seems to be trying to "ride the coattails" of Pauline Kael.

Sepiatone

Well, this is just a friendly discussion. :)

My general position is someone like Spielberg should use his money and influence to promote a roadshow engagement of the original film.

With him talking about it and being involved with its re-distribution, a lot of people would watch it in a theater, people who have never seen it before.

And as a matter of fact, TCM needs to run some Black and White promos, having famous directors talk about the advantages of black and white and old-style lighting, to introduce a new generation of color-kids to the joys of black and white films. :)

I learned about this stuff from hearing my parents and grandparents talk about it, about when they grew up on farms in the South in the 1930s.

Later, while in college, I found a photo book about this era by Margaret Bourke White and I learned about the 1940 movie.

I was lucky enough to see a good print THE GRAPES OF WRATH in a theater in Charleston West Virginia in 1962.

This film influenced me in 1963 to buy a copy of LET US NOW PRAISE FAMOUS MEN, by James Agee and photos by Walker Evans (first published in 1941).

Unfortunately, the new black & white films would not be anything near the quality of the old B & W as they cannot be reproduced, i. e. the old-style lighting in CITIZEN KANE.

Maybe you didn't notice the lighting in CITIZEN KANE when you were watching it on the big screen in N.Y. with that 'older woman'. :)

>This film influenced me in 1963 to buy a copy of LET US NOW PRAISE FAMOUS MEN, by James Agee and photos by Walker Evans (first published in 1941).

I am glad you mentioned that. Agee's original manuscript has been found. This was the article he wrote that formed the basis for the book. It has recently been published. For more:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-06-26/entertainment/40253676_1_james-agee-fortune-praise-famous-men

>Maybe you didn't notice the lighting in CITIZEN KANE when you were watching it on the big screen in N.Y

Oh yes, I noticed it. I was quite impressed with the scenes in the smoke filled screening room during the Newsreel sequence. No one had ever shot scenes like that before, with all that backlighting and arms waving in the cigarette smoke. Just like in a real screening room.

ck-projection-room.jpg

Well this potential Spielberg production is getting press. In today's LA Times, in the OP-ED section there is a cartoon by Tom Meyers. It is titled; Steven Spielberg to Produce a Remake of "grapes of Wrath".

Below it shows Tom coming out of a space age building in Silicon Valley (with a sign saying Now Hiring; Engineers & Tech Whizzes).

Tom's friend is asking him 'What's That Tom?' and Tom says 'Looks like a Math Test'.

I'm not sure what the cartoon is trying to communicate. Is Meyers saying that modern technology and this story will not 'mix' well?

>For me, Monterey will always be 'Monterey Pop", as depicted by Eric Burdon's "Down in Monterey".

Well, of course you would, finance!

THAT'S 'cause you're just an ANIMAL!!!

(..or at least a fan of 'em, anyway) ;)

Well, I DO hear that having a minimum of 7% body fat DOES help in keeping a body afloat, ol' buddy!!!

(...saaaay, maybe if you'd start eatin' a MMMMmmmm FATBURGER now and then, you might find yourself a little more competitive in that 1/3rd of the Triathlon events you seem to have a little trouble in...oh wait, that's right...they don't have Fatburger stands back there in Philly, huh...sorry) ;)

>For me, Monterey will always be 'Monterey Pop",

Oh Wow, man, I was there! 1967. :)

Dreamy, a little foggy, misty at night. Cool and damp weather.

Very dream-like. There were NO bad hippies in those days. Wonderful people. Little puffs of white smoke rising from small groups of people. :)

Great music, great people, a fun place. Once in a lifetime.

re: The "old style lighting" in *Citizen Kane* .

As I recall when reading about the making of KANE, the lighting was considered "revelutionary" at the time.

Sepiatone