Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steven Spielberg to remake The Grapes of Wrath

Thanks for that post, I had no idea they did that for TV. Jessica did do it on Broadway and this is that production with a new Mitch & Stella. I saw Jessica and Alec on Broadway and I liked, but critics were not kind to her, saying they could not hear her. Hers was a fragile performance that worked for me. I never saw the TV version nor do I obviously remember it. Not sure Jess had the same sweaty effect as AM.

Naaa.

That town is so hot, muggy, sweaty, and humid in the summer. I don't understand why anyone would have ever started a town in that swamp.

Air conditioners didn't become available until the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and many apartments still didn't have them in the 60s.

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}.....then why not move to a cooler clime :|

New Orleans with all its problems is still a great city that tourist from

all over the world come to and enjoy the Southern hospitality and rich

history, food and good times.

This from someone who is a true Southerner who has lived there and

knows its people and culture.

Jake Holman graduate of UNO.

In the Classic Film Criticism Vol. 2 thread today, I have just compared THE GRAPES OF WRATH and A RAISIN IN THE SUN. Why doesn't Spielberg combine both to make a new picture?

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}In the Classic Film Criticism Vol. 2 thread today, I have just compared THE GRAPES OF WRATH and A RAISIN IN THE SUN. Why doesn't Spielberg combine both to make a new picture?

Because the dust bowl dislocation was predominately a rural white experience and political correctness shouldn't work just the one way. White americans despite pc rumor and innuendo haven't always had it 100% beer and scittles.

Dargo wrote:

>...btw, Michael(the Admin) if you're out there, does this count as one of those "zingers" OR just a simple expression of how I'm feelin' SO let down that that "bombshell" hasn't materialized yet???

Yes sir, that is indeed what I wrote, TB. However, sorry, I don't see any reply of your's below it?!

(...was there something you wished to add to that?...saaay, how about that "bombshell"?...I really AM lookin' forward to that, ya know...so where is it?...trust me, I WILL keep an open mind to whatever it is, ya know...I'm just that sorta guy, that's all...well, THAT and very quick-witted, of course!) ;)

That's okay QuadSix, I found it.

Okay TB, this is your post I take it you're referring to here:

>Would people go to see a remake of JIGGS AND MAGGIE IN JACKPOT JITTERS? Has Spielberg considered remaking this film? I am asking this question, not to sound flippant, but because there is a point to be made about why he is picking a classic with a built-in audience instead of picking something more obscure. In my opinion, he is trying to cash in on the anniversary of Steinbeck's story; and also, to capitalize on the familiarity of the story previously built up by Zanuck and Ford. If this was about just doing a simple remake, then JIGGS AND MAGGIE would be a contender in the redux sweepstakes. But it's much more than that...

And so kind sir, here is my reply to it...

What you stated was just another manner of sayin' what a few of the other "naysayers" said earlier...something to the effect of "Why remake a "classic" or already well done story(notice I said "story" and not "movie" here...but I'll get to this distinction later and why I used the term "story") instead of redoing an earlier failed attempt at one?", and then bassically all you did was supply an example of one which you think wouldn't be "sacrilegious" in someone attempting one.

Sorry, but I see no "new" thought in THIS argument of yours. I mean, even one for your original "allies" in this mindset you have, one Mr.FredCDobbs later in this thread seemed to have a change of heart about this after it was brought to his attention by a few people that MAYBE Spielberg has in mind to keep more to Steinbeck's original text than Ford did, and thus in essence would NOT be making a total "remake" of Ford's work...which btw, is what I meant earlier by using the word "story" instead of 'movie" in my above parenthetical.

And secondly, I'm sorry but I have to say I believe you were also once again being "presumptuous" in your attempt to suggest what Spielberg's motivations are for this project and what is in his mind for it. No one, other than him and maybe a few of those with whom he may have confided know what is in his mind at this point. Yes, it IS of course to "make money", though I believe the idea that "making it off of Zanuck and Ford's back" would be a leap in judgement on anyone's part...once again at THIS point in time.

You know, there is ALSO the possibility that what he is PRIMARILY after IS just to bring this story to a whole new generation's attention...and a thought which we "Spielberg Apologists" (as you seem to regard us) have already mentioned a number of times in this thread COULD be a very positive reason for doing so.

If Spielberg were remaking JIGGS AND MAGGIE, do you think there would be this much advance press and discussion about it?

So in a way he is already riding on the coattails of Zanuck and Ford and their version of Steinbeck's story.

I think Spielberg only made one good picture. And it is not SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (which is a rip-off of FIGHTING SULLIVANS with heavy Kubrick-inspired doses of violence at the beginning).

Any guesses which film of Spielberg's I like...?

Which is why, at the start of this thread, I asked if Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath was required reading in schools the last decade or so. IF it was than people under, say, 40, might be aware of the book because they read the book as part of a school project.

IF the book hasn't been required reading in schools than my guess is that most people under 40 have no idea about the book (and of course any movie made from said book). Thus there would be no coattails worth ridding.

Making a movie of the BOOK to honor its 75th anniversary only works as a marketing tool to a very select adult group (which is NOT your typical movie going group). So like you Dargo I find that speculation to be way out there.

And in reply to this comment of yours, TB...

>I think Spielberg only made one good picture. And it is not SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (which is a rip-off of FIGHTING SULLIVANS with heavy Kubrick-inspired doses of violence at the beginning). Any guesses which film of Spielberg's I like...?

I can only say that it appears your distaste for this potential Spielberg project stems mostly from your personal distaste of Spielberg's previous works....which is certainly your prerogative to have, but which of course colors all of your attempts in this thread to "poo-poo" the whole concept of a new version of Steinbeck's novel.

Btw, if you go back to the very first page of this thread, you will find ME actually being the first one to make fun of this Spielberg project...yep, pages before YOU attempted your humor at this, I attempted MY humor by equating "The Grapes of Wrath" with 'E.T." and sayng something such as "I can see it all now..."Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll phone home, Ma!"

However, I was just joking there(as you know, I love to do that a whole lot, but unfortunately it seems "some people" only think of me as being able to sufficiently do ONLY that ;) ) , BUT while I made fun of "The Steven" there, I DO actually feel he has made some very good films, "Schindler's List" perhaps being his best to date.

I would have a 'problem' with any modern director remaking this story when the original Hollywood film version is so good. In fact, I think the only way it could be made differently would be if an indy director filmed it on a shoe-string budget, all on location, with non-professional actors, to bring a gritty realism to what Steinbeck was actually describing.

I have 'more problem' that Spielberg has thrown his hat into the ring and is coveting Steinbeck's immortal work. Dr. Drew Casper at USC's film school taught me to dislike Spielberg, but I would have come to that conclusion on my own and probably more strongly than Drew.

And no, the only Spielberg film that gets passing marks with me is not SCHINDLER'S LIST. The ending is too much like A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN. And Roseanne Barr was right to mock it (and she's Jewish, so one would think she might have more identification with the subject than others).

>And no, the only Spielberg film that gets passing marks with me is not SCHINDLER'S LIST. The ending is too much like A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN. And Roseanne Barr was right to mock it (and she's Jewish, so one would think she might have more identification with the subject than others).

Well, all I can say about THIS TB is...

My best friend in L.A. is a doctor with a very successful practice in the Northridge area of the San Fernando Valley. and HIS father was(he just died last year) a Holocaust survivor(Auschwitz as I recall), and Phil(my friend) took his father to go see "Schindler's List" when it first hit the silver screens, and when I asked Bill(the father) what he thought of it, HE thought it was a near perfect re-creation of the horrors that HE went through, and that HE thought it was a wonderful film!!!

(...and so, sorry, but in THIS case, I THINK I'll take Bill's word for this over the fat-azzed and obnoxious Ms. Barr's...and IF you think I'm bein' "funny" here, my friend's name is Dr. Phil Shore, and you can locate him the "Shore Medical Group" in Northridge, and you can ask HIM if I'm being "funny" here or not..PLEASE do it, and tell him Dwight said to say hello, and ask him for me what new classic motorcycle has he purchased for his collection lately?)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jul 8, 2013 4:28 PM