Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
russalabama

Who today will be added to the list of greats?

If we consider the list of great actors to be (I may have missed some):

Gregory Peck; Cary Grant; Humphery Bogart;

Marlon Brando; Spencer Tracy; John Wayne;

Henry Fonda; Jimmy Stewart; Laurence Olivier;

Clark Gable; Gary Cooper; Buster Keaton;

Who retired or working today will be added? And will any of them get into the top 5 or 10 of all time?

(just some top names that I can think of; also know that Jack Lemon is dead, not sure about Kirk Douglas and O'Toole.)

Anthony Hopkins; Paul Newmann; Peter O'Toole;

Robin Williams; Duston Hoffman; Robert Redford;

Charlton Heston; Clint Eastwood; Kirk Douglas;

Jack Nicholsen; Ben Kingsley; Jack Lemon;

Gene Hackman; Robert DiNero; Al Pacino

My vote would go with Jack Nicholsen, Paul Newmann, Heston, and Anthony Hopkins.

The only actors of today that I would consider "great" are Tom Hanks, Sean Penn, Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino. The GREATEST actor of all time will always be MARLON BRANDO.

Although I agree with almost all of your choices, I would add to the former list: MICKEY ROONEY (very underrated it seems these days, but was once described by Laurence Oliver as America's greatest actor, and who am I to argue with his testimonial). Whether it was comedy, drama, or musicals the guy was completely

captivating. I never tire of his (Mickey's) performances no matter how many times I've seen them. Wish TCM would show 'Young Tom Edison' in addition to anything else he's ever done, and repeat them as much as they seem to repeat K. Hepburn films. He's a national treasure.

And to your current list I would add: KEVIN SPACEY(riveting), GARY OLDMAN(dark, absorbing), TIM ROTH (edgy), CHRISTIAN BALE(very subtle). You can't not watch these guys on the screen, they just have the ability to pull you right in.

I'm sure I could think of others, but these come immediately to mind.

Although I may take some heat for this, I personally would remove John Wayne and Charlton Heston from the "great actors" category, and instead place them under "great stars", but to each his own.

gypsybangles--I totally agree with you about Mickey Rooney. When AFI did there 100 years-100 stars a few years ago I was ticked that he wasn't included because he WAS MGM in the 40's (I think he might have been the box office champ then.) And he got an Oscar nom for Black Beauty in the 70's, won an emmy in the 80's. I think because of him being a people pleaser and making mostly fluff (Andy Hardy movies and Busby Berkley musicals) that his talent is overlooked.

twisterseal--Thank you for mentioning Tom Hanks. I know there's "Tom Hanks backlash" going on but I think he's a great actor. I think I've seen everything he's been in except Bonfire of the Vanities (it got such bad reviews that I just didn't think I'd like it) and Mazes and Monsters (only because I don't like that kind of movie.)

I believe no self respecting "great actor" list could be complete without WALTER MATTHAU! He was such a CHARACTER! He could play comedy roles to perfection. But that wasn't the limit of his talents. Oh, I'm not good at calling film titles to mind, but he had several dramatic roles in which he excelled. He could play characters that you wanted as friends, or those that you loved to hate.

I like the Grumpy Old Men movies, but I guess one of my favorite Matthau movies is "The Sunshine Boys," which he did with George Burns.

Anyhow, in my humble opinion, no list of "great actors" would be complete if it did not include WALTER MATTHAU!!!

Oh, BTW, I agree that Mickey Rooney is one of the greatest. After all, an actor's purpose is to be entertaining. And in whatever "vehicle" he acted, Mr. Rooney was entertaining!

to: brakenhe and happyowl55

Very pleased to hear from other Mickey Rooney fans. Great minds think alike!

Missed the AFI thing, but I'm absolutely insensed he wasn't included. How can one possibly think the words "Hollywood"..."movies" and not have him spring instantly to mind. They must be on drugs out there in there in that crazy town! Either that or they're not eating enough ruffage! I would have put him high in the top ten, and he didn't even make it within 100? That town's got way too many blonds for its own good, or maybe too much inbreeding, or their water supply is tainted. It couldn't possibly be that they simply lack taste, could it? Will I be sued if I call them "bozos"? Ah what the heck, it'd be worth it.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent, going so far afield of the original thread, but to quote William Bendix, "What a revoltin' development this is!"

I'll have to pay more attention to the Mickey Rooney movies. I'm still interested in the additions to the list of greats who may still be active making movies.

No one has mentioned Paul Newman or Anthony Hopkins and whether or not they will end up in or out of the pantheon. Personally I think Paul Newman entertaining on screen; and Hopkins very talented.

Also, not sure where to place James Mason. Always someone who I enjoy on film.

Hi All,

I agree with most of the names already mentioned but I would also like to add...

Russell Crowe -I find him very convincing. He draws me into the movie, Denzel Washington (in my book the top 10 of all time current actors)-some of his facial expressions are phenomenal. Like the way he shows utter contempt or hatred. Don Cheadle- I think he is such great, wonderful actor that's also underrated. I hope there will be more to come from him. Johnny Depp- I just love him =). If I had one vote it would probably be for Mr Denzel Washington.

Females-my votes would probably be for Charlize Theron or Cate Blanchett.

jalannapolaris - Johnny Depp is a great choice. He's come a long way from Jump Street. Very versatile. I think Mark Wahlberg will be around forever, in character roles.

And, don't laugh...I think Drew Barrymore is a heck of an actress. Too often she is thrown into these silly, cute roles, but she has an immense amount of talent.

Too bad I don't see an edit button. Denzel...how'd I miss this???

Hands down -- great, great, great.

My favorite current actors are Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Sally Field, Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Richard Dreyfus,Jack Nicholson, and Johnny Depp. Might not all be too popular, but if I hear they are in a movie, I generally give it a shot. They are pretty tried and true.

Your list----

Anthony Hopkins; Paul Newmann; Peter O'Toole;

Robin Williams; Duston Hoffman; Robert Redford;

Charlton Heston; Clint Eastwood; Kirk Douglas;

Jack Nicholsen; Ben Kingsley; Jack Lemon;

Gene Hackman; Robert DiNero; Al Pacino----

They are all great (if there is such a thing) male actors of the past. It is clear that Sean Penn and Nicole Kidmen have pulled away from the pack of current actors and actresses. Mryle Streep and Jodie Foster continue to show that they are above the fray.

WOW, everyone has named off some realy great actors, i would like to add Morgan Freeman, Steve Martin, Brad Pitt, Mel Gibson, Gabby Hayes, Robert Duvall(sp?), Gene Wilder, just to name a few

Johnny Depp - I feel the man is brillant.

Denzel Washington - Yummy

Russell Crowe - Not a big fan of his personality but is a great actor.

Meryl Streep - She does not get enough credit.

Nicole Kidman - Pure elegance.

Al Pacino- Pure brillance.

Robert Deniro- Who knew he was a comedian. Love Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers.

Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise - I really don't understand the big hoopla over these men. I think they are okay as actors but not a brillant actor.

Jamie Foxx - He was absolutely brillant in Ray and Collateral. He is one that definately will succeed.

I could go on and on. This is only my partial list.

Can't think of any more to add, but my favorites already listed are:Robert DeNiro, Johnny Depp, Gene Wilder,&Steve Martin

DeNiro was also funny in "Analyze This" and "Analyze That".