Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's OK...I'm alright!

Sepiatone

Last night I was watching *And So They Were Married* , and I thought, "This isn't so bad. Kind of a cute movie, although the kid actors could have been cast better".

But then, as I got up to refill my coffee cup, MELVYN DOUGLAS came on the screen!

Well, my KNEES buckled so much, I fell down and hit my head on the COFFEE TABLE.

But I'm OK. Just a bit of a bruise. ;)

Sepiatone ( Apologies to Dargo2)

Ok can someone let me in on this inside joke? I watched the movie and as noted it was cute, but the kids could of been better. I watched the Van Heflin Neal movie and in that the kids were first rate.

So this made me think; My guess is that the director or others in the crew are key to a kid's performance more so than with an adult actor. i.e. kids need more handling and if that is done well and the kid has the basic chops the performance can be great.

Sepia was actually referencing more the following movie from last night programming, 1936's "And So They Were Married", which starred Melvyn Douglas and (the soon to become "matronly" ;) ) Mary Astor.

And so, Sepia was kidding me about how I kept kidding in that "Censorship" thread of a while back about using the film in which "Joan Crawford keeps getting weak-kneed at the mere sight of Melvyn Douglas" as the original discussion point and first example in that thread.

Nope, the movie Sepia was referencing was "And They All Kissed The Bride". You remember, the romantic-"comedy"(notice my quotation marks around the word "comedy" here, if you will ;) LOL ) that TopBilled used as his opening "Example One" to ask everyone around here if they thought it permissible or a good idea to have the word "****" which Joan utters at one point in it excised from the film.

Darg, after the big deal you made about Crawford's character in that movie getting "weak in the knees" over Douglas, I just couldn't resist it. Seeing that movie the other night provided the opportunity, and I just HAD to take it!

I figured you'd understand, and even appreciate it. ;)

Sepiatone

Well, finance, this was never intended to be a MELVYN DOUGLAS thread, but he IS worthy of discussion, so...

Although I never liked *Ninotchka* , his appearance in it made it tolerable for me. And I have no qualms about the others on that "four best" list. It DID seem Douglas got more serious and meatier roles very late in life, and that he was more than up to the task. I felt he was considered more of a "comic" foil and got relegated to too many "best buddy", Don DeFore type roles than he deserved.

And to your list, I would add *I Never Sang For My Father* , and *The Seduction of Joe Tynan* as good examples of Douglas' "late in life" excellence.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings