Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924) be the New Restoration Sunday?

gagman66

So does anyone know if TCM will be debuting the Cohen Restoration of Douglas Fairbanks, *THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924)* on Sunday with the Thames Silents Carl Davis score for the first time? I bought both the DVD and Blu-ray several months ago, but I still want to know what will air? TCM ran a story on the release in Movie News. They even World Premiered this new transfer in 2012 at the TCM Classic Fim Festival before it was on DVD. Although accompnied live by Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, not with the Davis score. But on TCM shop if you look for this movie the first thing that pops up is the older Image Entertainment DVD, not the Cohen one that was put out in January?

TCM has been running the film with the Gaylord Carter score, but that was supposed to be replaced. So what gives? By the way, it was the Kino DVD that had the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra score. A guy from Cohen said last year that TCM would be running their version in 2013, but at the time the Blu-ray was expectedf out before the end of the year, which did not happen. So I hope TCM runs it was the Carl Davis score, but nothing has been publised to indicate they will. Severasl months ago TCM ran Lon Chaney's *THE PENALTY* for the first time in many years, which I expected to have the New Mont Alto score for the Kino Blu-ray. It didn't. Although that doesn't mean the new one isn't what they were supposed to have broadcast?

Need to be sure to mention it to other people on the TCM Boards. I assume that they will be running the new version, but can we get some confirmation about this? Thanks.

By the way, *HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY* to everybody!

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}So does anyone know if TCM will be debuting the Cohen Restoration of Douglas Fairbanks, *THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924)* on Sunday with the Thames Silents Carl Davis score for the first time? I bought both the DVD and Blu-ray several months ago, but I still want to know what will air? TCM ran a story on the release in Movie News. They even World Premiered this new transfer in 2012 at the TCM Classic Fim Festival before it was on DVD. Although accompnied live by Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, not with the Davis score. But on TCM shop if you look for this movie the first thing that pops up is the older Image Entertainment DVD, not the Cohen one that was put out in January?

>

> TCM has been running the film with the Gaylord Carter score, but that was supposed to be replaced. So what gives? By the way, it was the Kino DVD that had the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra score. A guy from Cohen said last year that TCM would be running their version in 2013, but at the time the Blu-ray was expectedf out before the end of the year, which did not happen. So I hope TCM runs it was the Carl Davis score, but nothing has been publised to indicate they will. Severasl months ago TCM ran Lon Chaney's *THE PENALTY* for the first time in many years, which I expected to have the New Mont Alto score for the Kino Blu-ray. It didn't. Although that doesn't mean the new one isn't what they were supposed to have broadcast?

>

> Need to be sure to mention it to other people on the TCM Boards. I assume that they will be running the new version, but can we get some confirmation about this? Thanks.

>

> By the way, *HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY* to everybody!

I prefer the 1940 technicolor Korda version myself. :D

Interesting and amusing aside to that, Fly. The store where I used to buy my cigarettes( no lectures, please), up until I moved across town, is owned by two brothers who came here from Iraq. I went in there one day after seeing the newer, technicolor version, and asked if Bagdhad really had BLUE SAND!

The brother I was talking with laughed, said he saw the movie, and no, it didn't.

Then he said he only tuned in to watch it thinking it was a movie about SADDAM!

Sepiatone

I checked in for the film at midnight this past Sunday, but could only take a few minutes of the organ grinder score - I have a copy of that one.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Edited by: clore on Jul 11, 2013 2:09 PM

Archived