Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A dying Hollywood?

*"I'll say 'em, make it short" -Casey*...Hollywood has become a mediorcre money-grubbers enterprise. I'm a life-long couch potato and or space cadet so who better to make these observations. My credentials? Well, Howdy Doody and Tom Corbett were before my time but not the Gerry Anderson fare nor star trek or Lost in Space. As a kid I was gawking at syndicated eps of Supercar and Fireball XL-5 on my family's black & white living room idiot box. Watched star trek on NBC from the start of the 2nd season to 1969 then later in syndication a lot more. Had the original styrene enterprise model of the late 60s with the lights...and made a mess of it. Never was too good at that. Caught a lot of other now classic fare like 8th Man on WPIX from its debut in 1965. Also watched Stan Lee on WOR so I was there for a lot of 1960s TV fun. Remember Dream House from ABC?...which ABC destroyed by re-using the video tape and thus erased it for all time. I caught that and Dark Shadows too. Yeah, I was one of those 40 million kids. Enjoyed seeing Colossus The Forbin Project on NBC. Also remember the late 1970s debut of 2001: A Space Odyssey on NBC Saturday Night at the Movies too. What a bad experience slash letdown that was. I just couldn't make the connection of grunting primal monkeys playing with their erector bones with space...so 40 minutes later at about 8:40 I grabbed the channel selector and changed the channel...and have never regretted it. 45 years later 2001 stands on it's face for what it is, one big long incomprehensible and pretty monologue. Oh yeah the monolith! That's the ticket. Hollywood film critics will always adore it while the rest of us will just simply laugh. My point? Take your doomsday thriller. I saw WarGames at a local theatre with my brother back in 1983. I think a doomsday thriller ought to be a serious film where the subject matter is taken seriously by all concerned. Mind you this was many years before I ever saw Seven Days in May. That's an excellent film despite the slanted anti-nuclear point of view. So director Badham wants to use the conclusion of WarGames to make his anti-nuclear statemernt. So I sat there in the theatre trying to take seriously..in terms of drama...a game of tic-tac-toe on multiple displays. Sorry!...I couldn't do it. My brother liked it much more than I did...but he was never an idiot-boxed space cadet like me. So there's my analogy. 1964: Seven Day in May ala Frankenheimer. 1983: drama-less politically correct BS. Even then in 1983 you could perceive the slant torward the youth demographic. Video games = tic-tac-toe. Cute. Colossus The Forbin Project is a serious engrossing journey into technological horror which reminds one of the aesop fable The Frog and their King. Alright, some idiot frogs want a king so they get on Zeus' back about it so he throws down a log but no dice with the frogs so next Zeus sends a snake who proceeds to eat the frogs. So what is Badham's point? Tic-tac-toe? Yeah, well a hop, skip and a jump to him too. :P:P :p

> {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}*"I'll say 'em, make it short" -Casey*...Hollywood has become a mediorcre money-grubbers enterprise. I'm a life-long couch potato and or space cadet so who better to make these observations. My credentials? Well, Howdy Doody and Tom Corbett were before my time but not the Gerry Anderson fare nor star trek or Lost in Space. As a kid I was gawking at syndicated eps of Supercar and Fireball XL-5 on my family's black & white living room idiot box. Watched star trek on NBC from the start of the 2nd season to 1969 then later in syndication a lot more. Had the original styrene enterprise model of the late 60s with the lights...and made a mess of it. Never was too good at that. Caught a lot of other now classic fare like 8th Man on WPIX from its debut in 1965. Also watched Stan Lee on WOR so I was there for a lot of 1960s TV fun. Remember Dream House from ABC?...which ABC destroyed by re-using the video tape and thus erased it for all time. I caught that and Dark Shadows too. Yeah, I was one of those 40 million kids. Enjoyed seeing Colossus The Forbin Project on NBC. Also remember the late 1970s debut of 2001: A Space Odyssey on NBC Saturday Night at the Movies too. What a bad experience slash letdown that was. I just couldn't make the connection of grunting primal monkeys playing with their erector bones with space...so 40 minutes later at about 8:40 I grabbed the channel selector and changed the channel...and have never regretted it. 45 years later 2001 stands on it's face for what it is, one big long incomprehensible and pretty monologue. Oh yeah the monolith! That's the ticket. Hollywood film critics will always adore it while the rest of us will just simply laugh. My point? Take your doomsday thriller. I saw WarGames at a local theatre with my brother back in 1983. I think a doomsday thriller ought to be a serious film where the subject matter is taken seriously by all concerned. Mind you this was many years before I ever saw Seven Days in May. That's an excellent film despite the slanted anti-nuclear point of view. So director Badham wants to use the conclusion of WarGames to make his anti-nuclear statemernt. So I sat there in the theatre trying to take seriously..in terms of drama...a game of tic-tac-toe on multiple displays. Sorry!...I couldn't do it. My brother liked it much more than I did...but he was never an idiot-boxed space cadet like me. So there's my analogy. 1964: Seven Day in May ala Frankenheimer. 1983: drama-less politically correct BS. Even then in 1983 you could perceive the slant torward the youth demographic. Video games = tic-tac-toe. Cute. Colossus The Forbin Project is a serious engrossing journey into technological horror which reminds one of the aesop fable The Frog and their King. Alright, some idiot frogs want a king so they get on Zeus' back about it so he throws down a log but no dice with the frogs so next Zeus sends a snake who proceeds to eat the frogs. So what is Badham's point? Tic-tac-toe? Yeah, well a hop, skip and a jump to him too. :P :p :P

Just thought of another one, Twilight's Last Gleaming from 1977. Starts off well remaining interesting throughout but manages to muddle itself torward the end with the obsessing on the anti-vietnam war message conspiracy BS.

> {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}*"I'll say 'em, make it short" -Casey*...Hollywood has become a mediorcre money-grubbers enterprise. I'm a life-long couch potato and or space cadet so who better to make these observations. My credentials? Well, Howdy Doody and Tom Corbett were before my time but not the Gerry Anderson fare nor star trek or Lost in Space. As a kid I was gawking at syndicated eps of Supercar and Fireball XL-5 on my family's black & white living room idiot box. Watched star trek on NBC from the start of the 2nd season to 1969 then later in syndication a lot more. Had the original styrene enterprise model of the late 60s with the lights...and made a mess of it. Never was too good at that. Caught a lot of other now classic fare like 8th Man on WPIX from its debut in 1965. Also watched Stan Lee on WOR so I was there for a lot of 1960s TV fun. Remember Dream House from ABC?...which ABC destroyed by re-using the video tape and thus erased it for all time. I caught that and Dark Shadows too. Yeah, I was one of those 40 million kids. Enjoyed seeing Colossus The Forbin Project on NBC. Also remember the late 1970s debut of 2001: A Space Odyssey on NBC Saturday Night at the Movies too. What a bad experience slash letdown that was. I just couldn't make the connection of grunting primal monkeys playing with their erector bones with space...so 40 minutes later at about 8:40 I grabbed the channel selector and changed the channel...and have never regretted it. 45 years later 2001 stands on it's face for what it is, one big long incomprehensible and pretty monologue. Oh yeah the monolith! That's the ticket. Hollywood film critics will always adore it while the rest of us will just simply laugh. My point? Take your doomsday thriller. I saw WarGames at a local theatre with my brother back in 1983. I think a doomsday thriller ought to be a serious film where the subject matter is taken seriously by all concerned. Mind you this was many years before I ever saw Seven Days in May. That's an excellent film despite the slanted anti-nuclear point of view. So director Badham wants to use the conclusion of WarGames to make his anti-nuclear statemernt. So I sat there in the theatre trying to take seriously..in terms of drama...a game of tic-tac-toe on multiple displays. Sorry!...I couldn't do it. My brother liked it much more than I did...but he was never an idiot-boxed space cadet like me. So there's my analogy. 1964: Seven Day in May ala Frankenheimer. 1983: drama-less politically correct BS. Even then in 1983 you could perceive the slant torward the youth demographic. Video games = tic-tac-toe. Cute. Colossus The Forbin Project is a serious engrossing journey into technological horror which reminds one of the aesop fable The Frog and their King. Alright, some idiot frogs want a king so they get on Zeus' back about it so he throws down a log but no dice with the frogs so next Zeus sends a snake who proceeds to eat the frogs. So what is Badham's point? Tic-tac-toe? Yeah, well a hop, skip and a jump to him too. :P :p :P

Seems like we have alot in common. My brother and I watched much of what you did in the 60s except we were also there for Star Trek's debut on NBC, Thursday night in 1966, NBC's Astroboy debut in 1964, Chiller Theatre (with the montage opening, not the six fingered hand) hosted by Zacherly, The Three Stooges with Joe Bolton, Mack and Myer for Hire, the MIGHTY HERCULES, and Beachcomber Bill all on WPIX, need I go on. Ahhhh, the kids of today don't know what they missed. Speaking of CHILLER THEATRE, do you consider yourself a MONSTERKID? A monster kid is defined as a kid of any age who has fond memories for the monster/scifi films of the golden age as well as related TV SHOWS; monster mags; or anything nostalgic; related to classic comedy; cartoons, TV and/or theatrical, etc. If you fit into any of the above then you might want to check out the CLASSIC HORROR FILM BOARD ( www.classichorrorfilmboard.com ) if you are not already aware of it.

> {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}*"I'll say 'em, make it short" -Casey*...Hollywood has become a mediorcre money-grubbers enterprise. I'm a life-long couch potato and or space cadet so who better to make these observations. My credentials? Well, Howdy Doody and Tom Corbett were before my time but not the Gerry Anderson fare nor star trek or Lost in Space. As a kid I was gawking at syndicated eps of Supercar and Fireball XL-5 on my family's black & white living room idiot box. Watched star trek on NBC from the start of the 2nd season to 1969 then later in syndication a lot more. Had the original styrene enterprise model of the late 60s with the lights...and made a mess of it. Never was too good at that. Caught a lot of other now classic fare like 8th Man on WPIX from its debut in 1965. Also watched Stan Lee on WOR so I was there for a lot of 1960s TV fun. Remember Dream House from ABC?...which ABC destroyed by re-using the video tape and thus erased it for all time. I caught that and Dark Shadows too. Yeah, I was one of those 40 million kids. Enjoyed seeing Colossus The Forbin Project on NBC. Also remember the late 1970s debut of 2001: A Space Odyssey on NBC Saturday Night at the Movies too. What a bad experience slash letdown that was. I just couldn't make the connection of grunting primal monkeys playing with their erector bones with space...so 40 minutes later at about 8:40 I grabbed the channel selector and changed the channel...and have never regretted it. 45 years later 2001 stands on it's face for what it is, one big long incomprehensible and pretty monologue. Oh yeah the monolith! That's the ticket. Hollywood film critics will always adore it while the rest of us will just simply laugh. My point? Take your doomsday thriller. I saw WarGames at a local theatre with my brother back in 1983. I think a doomsday thriller ought to be a serious film where the subject matter is taken seriously by all concerned. Mind you this was many years before I ever saw Seven Days in May. That's an excellent film despite the slanted anti-nuclear point of view. So director Badham wants to use the conclusion of WarGames to make his anti-nuclear statemernt. So I sat there in the theatre trying to take seriously..in terms of drama...a game of tic-tac-toe on multiple displays. Sorry!...I couldn't do it. My brother liked it much more than I did...but he was never an idiot-boxed space cadet like me. So there's my analogy. 1964: Seven Day in May ala Frankenheimer. 1983: drama-less politically correct BS. Even then in 1983 you could perceive the slant torward the youth demographic. Video games = tic-tac-toe. Cute. Colossus The Forbin Project is a serious engrossing journey into technological horror which reminds one of the aesop fable The Frog and their King. Alright, some idiot frogs want a king so they get on Zeus' back about it so he throws down a log but no dice with the frogs so next Zeus sends a snake who proceeds to eat the frogs. So what is Badham's point? Tic-tac-toe? Yeah, well a hop, skip and a jump to him too. :P :p :P

>

> Seems like we have alot in common. My brother and I watched much of what you did in the 60s except we were also there for Star Trek's debut on NBC, Thursday night in 1966, NBC's Astroboy debut in 1964, Chiller Theatre (with the montage opening, not the six fingered hand) hosted by Zacherly, The Three Stooges with Joe Bolton, Mack and Myer for Hire, the MIGHTY HERCULES, and Beachcomber Bill all on WPIX, need I go on. Ahhhh, the kids of today don't know what they missed. Speaking of CHILLER THEATRE, do you consider yourself a MONSTERKID? A monster kid is defined as a kid of any age who has fond memories for the monster/scifi films of the golden age as well as related TV SHOWS; monster mags; or anything nostalgic; related to classic comedy; cartoons, TV and/or theatrical, etc. If you fit into any of the above then you might want to check out the CLASSIC HORROR FILM BOARD ( www.classichorrorfilmboard.com ) if you are not already aware of it.

>

Yeah, that's me. My siblings and I were always watching that Chiller Theatre montage saturday nights on wpix long before that idiot hand showed up. First place we saw Attack of the 50 Foot woman with loaded for bear Allison Hayes and Caltiki the immortal monster. They ran K. Gordon Murray's english-dubbed print of *Black Pit of Doctor M* many times which is now lost. Maybe TCM can find it for us all their being such eager beavers about saving films for posterity. :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings