Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another Film Noir I've Never Seen!!!

TomJH

Has anyone seen this one? Would you recommend it?

To be honest, I never heard of this film before. If it's even half as good as the poster, it's got to be great. And with a film noir stalwart like Edmond O'Brien in it, that's more than good enough for me. Not mention Phantom Lady Ella Raines.

TCM, Eddie Muller, somebody help me see this film!

Web_zps2ce88e24.jpg

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}

> Calvinnme, TCM does have or did have *Night Has A Thousand Eyes* . It was shown 2 or 3 years ago. Hopefully it will go back into rotation, luckily I taped it the last time it was on.

Every now and then something from the classic Universal library will slip through and wind up on TCM, but it's a rarity. I remember seeing Universal's "All My Sons" a few years back on TCM.

Calvin, I had forgotten all about "Tattered Dress". It's been years since I last saw it. I remember it having a great cast and, I believe, this was sort of a comeback for Gail Russell., who has a couple of terrific scenes. Thanks for reminding me of this. Perhaps we can even expect to see it on TCM someday.

Terrence.

Yes, I remember seeing *All My Sons* on TCM. I think it's ME-Tv that does show a few Universal films, not many. Gee, you've put me in the mood to get out that tape of *Night Has A Thousand Eyes* . It's another one of those Woolrich stories, I think John Farrow directed it and the cast is great. EGR, Jane Russell, Jerome Cowen, William Demerest, John Lund.

calvinme, I watched The Web on YouTube, and would agree with your overall assessemnt of it.

It is no longer a film noir that I've yet to see. In fact, it could be argued that it is really a crime drama with a few elements of what later became termed "noir" thrown into the plot. That poster in the original thread posting certainly makes it look like film noir.

While, as you said, the story offers no surprises the cast is quite good. That, combined with the overall slickness of the production, made it a pretty good show that would be recommended to people who like crime dramas. Certainly the basic plot premise involves an innocent being lured into a web of deceit. The Web might be a minor entry of the genre but still one that can be enjoyed.

By the way, I noticed that the YT print of that Universal production had an AMC logo periodically popping up in the corner,yet another reminder of how great that station used to be. And it makes you want to cry that so many of the Universals and Paramounts that AMC used to play are no longer available for us to view. At least YT allows us, even if only temporarily, to see this film. (Quite frankly, though, YT is no way to really enjoy a film, grumble, grumble).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings