Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bogart Vs. Cagney Vs. Robinson

>Instead of uppercase letters, why don't you go the Elaine Benes route and use a lot of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now finance, I thought you were MUCH more observant than this, ol' buddy!!!

Dude! Haven't you noticed my ADDITIONAL tendency to overuse not ONLY these -> "!", but these-> "?" babies TOO??????

LOL

(...oh, and btw folks, re "The Great Stone Face" Raft...SURE you're allowed to "find fascinating" anyone ya CHOOSE...but of course, my earlier point was much more somethin' such as John Huston's relief in discovering his good fortune to get a GOOD actor to star in his classic Maltese Falcon remake than someone like Raft who COULDN'T act at ALL!!!!!)

OH! And one MORE thing here, folks!

WHAT?! NObody found my "Eddie G. playin' for the Montreal Royals" thing funny at ALL???!!!

(...man, I gotta say YOU folks suuuuure are a tough freakin' "audience" sometimes!!!!)

LOL

Also, Cagney was 5'8", Bogart 5'9" AND Edward G. 5'6". George E. Stone who appeared in movies with the 3 actors was 5'3" and a half. I am 5'3" and I met Cagney so I know he didn't lie about his height.Also Cagney in his younger days had a nice built I can't say the same for the other 2 men.

crazyblonde, Cagney's appearance at the AFI was the way that I best want to remember him after he left the movies. By the time that he appeared in two final films during the '80s (coerced into doing so, it's my understanding, by his, according to many, overzealous caretaker Marge Zimmerman) he was appearing old, sickly and terribly vulnerable, this being particularly true of that unfortunate last film that he made.

But when he appeared at that AFI tribute in 1974 he still very much had his faculties with him and appeared to be in relatively good health. Jimmy was really "on" that night in front of that appreciative crowd. I'm sure that, as a man who loved his retirement and the quiet life, he probably had very mixed feelings about appearing at that reception, and couldn't wait to get it over with and get back home. At the same time, though, he must have taken great pride in the honour of having been selected, and knew he would offend people if he didn't go.

That's why I supplied that YouTube link a few postings earlier so Cagney fans could admire how Jimmy stepped forward that night and, old pro that he was, really delivered the goods. He was feisty, he was funny, and there was a direct honesty and decency about his character still very evident that night which helps explain why so many people today still love the man.

I'll supply that link for Cagney fans, once again, so they can take a look at Jimmy the way we would all like to remember a friend in retirement:

Thanks Tom for the link to the AFI site. I've watched this a few times. A few days ago was the 7th anniversary of my beloved dad's passing. Cagney was my dad's favorite actor. When I was a little girl, we would watch Cagney films together on TV in NY. Wonderful memories for me.

A film that hasn't been mentioned, is a favorite of mine as far as his musical performances go. *West Point Story* . There's a dance routine that Cagney does to It Could Only Happen In Brookyn , he's joinrd by Virginia Mayo in the dance routine. Next to his dancing in *Yankee Doodle Dandy* , I've always thought it was his best. It's my understanding that Cagney also thought so.

Thanks Tom, I'm watching my very worn tape of *West Point Story* right now. Love this film. Besides Cagney's and Mayo's dance routine that will always be a favorite of mine ( I actually hum the song to myself sometimes) , it's so great seeing Doris, Gordon and Gene Nelson( I adore Gene so much) Just a happy, carefree teriffic musical. LOVE it, and I Love James Cagney

Lavenderblue, thank you so much for sharing that story of you and your Dad watching Cagney flix together! I'm glad you'll have those memories to cherish always, and also glad that we'll have these flix to enjoy which we can on so many different and uniquely personal levels!

Tom, I also want to thank you for the lowdown on Cagney that you provided earlier in the thread to parallel that of Eddie G's!

I agree with your assessment as well, that Bogie probably, pound for pound, appeared in a greater collection of heavy hitter flix in the 40's and even into the 50's than his tough guy compadre's.

I dig all three of them to the max! I'd say Eddie G is probably my favorite actor period, but I love watching any Cagney or Bogie performance, without question!! Again, thank you for this thread!

>Yet Bogart , despite his lack of physique and fitness, was continually able to intimidate other guys in his films. Even when he wasn't packing heat.

Yep, as Elmer here could attest to...

tumblr_maov2xM1I61qc9pwoo1_500.png

crazyblonde, what about us?

056ad63f-9a3e-4a2f-bd8a-cf85ae96af8c_zps

If it wasn't for all those bubbles getting in the way, I'd really give you something to talk about!

candid-bogartanorexic_zps12f4745a.jpg

You know, I think I'm really starting to see some results from that Charles Atlas muscle building course I've been taking. That Cagney mug's never going to kick sand in my eyes again!

> {quote:title=crazyblonde7 wrote:}{quote}Wow! I just saw a picture of Cagney in a bathing suit on ebay. Boy, he was well-endowed! Taller boys have nothing on him!

Yep, Jimmy was sure endowed with a flock of beautiful red hair.

Thanks, crazyblonde, for pointing out that today would have been the 114th birthday of James Cagney.

One of the lesser known modes of artistic expression from Cagney came through the satisfaction that he received from sketching and painting.

As the actor wrote in his autobiography:

"My bent for art had been obvious since early childhood, and if my mother and father had been more aware of it all those long years ago, it would probably have been well if they had steered me in that direction. I might not have been as materially successful as I was in show business, but, taking it all in all, I might have been a lot happier."

Hilton_John_W_James_Cagney_4.jpg

A picture of Cagney sketching with artist friend John W. Hilton

And here's some samples of Cagney art:

cagney_james-still_lifes_two~OMbd2300~10

cagney_james-floral_still_life~OMc51300~

cagney_james-portrait_of_an_elderly_bear

cagney_james-cornucopia_of_vegetables~OM

There was a New York City auction of Cagney-owned memorabilia in 1992. It included some of his paintings. Last April a Cagney flower still life sold on ebay for just $266.

Cagney wrote:

"Since childhood, a certain fella has been on my mind. This is the fighter who goes through his career as a terrific puncher but also a terrific receiver. He winds up with a flat nose; cauliflower ears; thick, protrusive lips; proud flesh over his eyes; cuts on the cheekbone; slashes around his mouth - a human caricature. I've seen these fellas come out of fights with everything hanging loose - ears, lips, eyes - but victorious. This kind of guy has stayed in my mind for years. I have been making sketches of him with arm held high by the referee although his legs are folding under him; his eyes are almost sightless from the pounding - but still he stands, a battered hulk. From these sketches I did an oil painting I call 'The Winner' and took it into Bongart (a painter teacher).

'Jesus Christ, Jimmy! Who's that?'

'I've been thinking of this poor guy. He's numbered by the thousands in the fight racket.'

'Very spooky, very spooky."

And infinitely sad as well."

There's a reproduction of this painting in the actor's autobiography, Cagney By Cagney. The battered fighter, with his hand raised in victory, almost looks like his face is melting. He has slits were there had once been eyes, in Cagney's oil painting. His mouth hangs open, as if gasping for air. The painter's anguish over the fighter's sad fate is apparent in every brush stroke.

Unfortunately, I could find no copy of The Winner to reproduce here, except for this tiny image with the artist standing beside it.

picture.aspx?maxheight=130&maxwidth=130&