Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Now, Voyager (1942) Great Film !!

FredCDobbs

>Do you know why everyone puts up with that mean old lady??

Now Fred, I'm SURE you know that it's just "good manners" to always be deferential to those in their senior years, and thus it would always "poor form" to, say, kid them about their tendency to sometimes be less than open to new possibilities?!!!

(...and something of which I'm SURE you're still cognizant enough to have noticed that unfortunately I often fail to comprehend!!!!)

**** here

Yep, except of course when it's TOO MUCH fun to kid people about their tendency to occasionally be presumptuous and/or pretentious!

And THEN of course ALL bets are OFF, and there's NO "age limit" to mind!

(...btw, I of course have SOLELY been referring to that mean old bitty of a character that Gladys Cooper played in this flick...uh huh)

*One of my favorite parts of Now, Voyager (and there are several) is when Charlotte Vale is arguing with her mother after breaking up with Elliott, and her mother drops dead .. Well, Mother is sitting in a chair so it doesn't look unintentionally funny--which it would, if you think about it , hehe*

*Remember earlier in the movie Mother takes a dive on the stairs just to get her way? Yeah, Old Lady Vale couldn't dive twice without the audience cracking up.*

*But I love it, for I would always think, Poor Charlotte- couldn't even enjoy winning the argument, just once with some truth - and her mother upstages her again. But that was the last time.*

The girl who plays Tina in this movie, Janis Wilson, is the same girl who played young Barbara Stanwyck in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, and she was the one who hit the mean old lady in that film in the head with a cane and knocked her down the stairs, killing her.

>One of the great golden age romances - a perfect Warner Brothers production- and the ending and that Max Steiner music is really for the ages.

Joe, does that ending leave open the possibility that they might get married later on, or, at least, continue to see each other?

> But why didn't Charlotte Vale go off with Jerry Durrance and his daughter at the end?

I thought he was in a marriage where the wife wouldn't give him a divorce.

But, it's been a long time since I've watched the movie in full, since I usually stop just after

nowvoyagerdavis01.jpg

the wonderfully hilarious nervous breakdown. Go on, make fun of me! You think it's fun making fun of me!

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Do you know why everyone puts up with that mean old lady??

Well, Charlotte puts up with her because she is afraid. During the first half hour or so of the film, she is so utterly cowed, so completely lacking in any kind of self-confidence, that she is willing to do anything, put up with the old bat's nasty bossy ways, as well as her other relatives' pity, because although she is very unhappy, at least it is an unhappiness that she knows. She is afraid of the unknown, afraid of taking risks, of change. Even though change will transform her life, until she meets Claude Rains she does not know how to break free.

>until she meets Claude Rains she does not know how to break free.

That is because the mean old lady gives her an allowance and she doesn't know how to earn her own money, so she can't just walk out.

Luckily, she lasted long enough and inherited the old dame's money at the end. :)

Well, things were going swimmingly between Charlotte and Jerry in the

land of the cod when they got into an argument about the proper method

of roasting wieners in the living room fireplace. Then it morphed into a

heated argument over whether wieners should be roasted at all in the

fireplace. And from that small beginning, things went downhill rather

quickly. It's rather sad, because now they don't have the moon or the

stars or even one of those pinview eclipse things.

Oh, Fred, if only Prouty were actually so romantic about marriage.

No, when Charlotte talks about the stars at the end, she is referring to enjoying the relationship with Jerry as it is... She doesn't "need" Jerry for marriage - she has her own security financially.

Truth is, she does love Jerry so much, she won't wound him by laying guilt on him, and Charlotte knows herself so well, she doesn't hurt herself and no longer suffers in sacrifice. that is a boatload of maturity to get to that point, and it is clear Isabel (Jerry's wife) may never be free of suffering sacrifice.

Then, there's Tina. The unintended child that needs to learn her purpose. Charlotte is the best model for that; she understand Tina better than anyone.. Charlotte is not the mother, but Tina needs a feminine role model of strength and genuine love, not a manipulative relationship, like Charlotte endured with her mother and Jerry endures with Isabel. But Tina's growth is not there yet and she's fragile. That's what the "protecting our own little strip territory that's ours" was about. Tina will remain with Charlotte indefinitely. Charlotte and Jerry both will protect this child with a love they can design. It is very complicated, true. But the ending gives it the hopefulness that they may pull it off and maybe there could be a future down the road. Charlotte understands what is meant by probation. She doesn't mind, as long as Jerry can be physically there from time to time and with his loving spirit surrounding them both.

In the end, Charlotte is the self-actualized woman; Charlotte is a pragmatist, the relationship with Jerry will never be resolved in a traditional way, yet we see through her growth, she is far more a empathetic and loving partner and mother than her own mother ever was.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Jul 10, 2013 12:03 AM

Are you joking with that question? Jerry's friend (Effie from the Maltese Falcon) made it very clear that Jerry would NOT divorce his wife. Thus Jerry was like Spencer Tracy. He would stay with a women he didn't love instead of asking for a divorce (and even if he asked his wife might of refused and Jerry wouldn't of had legal grounds for a divorce).

Of course I alway wanted a Deception type of ending, where either Jerry or Charlotte murder the wife!

Oh, and Bette Davis is just great in this movie. I cannot think of any actress that has ever given a better performance. Fantastic movie all around (and this from a guy who wouldn't normally like a 'women's picture'); This movie is just a great all around WB production.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jul 10, 2013 12:57 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings