• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vincent Price as SOTM October 2013

TopBilled

mv5bmja1oteynzcynl5bml5banbnxkftztywmtgw

He is the honoree in October.

_Thursday October 3:_

8PM THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX (1939)

10PM LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945)

12AM THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM (1945)

2:30AM THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1948)

5:15AM THE BRIBE (1949)

_Friday October 4:_

7 AM THE LONG NIGHT (1947)

_Thursday October 10:_

8PM THE BARON OF ARIZONA (1950)

9:45PM HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1951)

12AM THE LAS VEGAS STORY (1952)

1:30AM DANGEROUS MISSION (1954)

3AM SON OF SINBAD (1955)

4:45 AM SERENADE (1956)

_Thursday October 17:_

8PM WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1955)

9:45PM THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957)

11:30PM THE BIG CIRCUS (1959)

1:30AM MASTER OF THE WORLD (1961)

3:15AM CONVICTS 4 (1962)

5:15AM THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS (1969)

_Thursday October 24:_

8PM HOUSE OF WAX (1953)

9:45PM THE MAD MAGICIAN (1954)

11PM THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (1960)

12:30AM DIARY OF A MADMAN (1963

2:15AM THE TINGLER (1959)

3:45AM HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1958)

5:15AM THE BAT (1959)

_Friday October 25:_

6:45AM TOWER OF LONDON (1962)

8:15AM THE RAVEN (1963)

_Thursday October 31:_

8PM THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961)

9:30PM THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963)

11:15PM THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH (1964)

1AM THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES (1971)

2:45AM TWICE TOLD TALES (1963)

5AM THE TOMB OF LIGEIA (1965)

Great! I hope TCM has been able to unearth two of his rarely shown films. THE EVE OF ST MARK (1944) a powerful war film based on a Maxwell Anderson Broadway play and CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR (1950) a hysterical comedy with Ronald Coleman, Celeste Holmes and Art Linkletter. Pardon the pun, but Vincent is just "priceless" in it. :)

I still can't believe George Sanders has never had SOTM honors, but it's hard to argue against Vincent Price, especially in October.

And maybe one of these years, we'll finally get Bela Lugosi's Dracula. Whatever is the problem with the rights to that film, anyway? When I was growing up you'd always see it paired with Frankenstein in the rep houses, and shown over and over on TV's Shock Theatre. And yet I can't remember seeing it on TCM for God knows how many years.

I feel this is a wonderful selection as he was a very great actor who excelled in a wide variety of roles.

I believe it is obligatory that I lament that: *Laura* (1944) was not chosen for the tribute. It is remarkable how he could give such a powerful performance in the role of a quisling.

The line-up for October 31 is sheer perfection! :)

Interesting choice. And a good one for Oct.

I'm still waiting for Charles Boyer, Jennifer Jones, Mary Astor, Susan Hayward, Joan Bennett, Richard Widmark, etc. I know. Dont hold your breath. :(

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Interesting choice. And a good one for Oct.

>

> I'm still waiting for Charles Boyer, Jennifer Jones, Mary Astor, Susan Hayward, Joan Bennett, Richard Widmark, etc. I know. Dont hold your breath. :(

Half of that list (Astor, Bennett, and Widmark) are ones I really want to see too. My own preferences aside though, Vincent Price had variety and longevity so I have no problems with him being SOTM...particularly for Oct.

Well as everyone should know by now it is NOT a question of 'not chosen' as it relates to Laura.

The use of the word 'chosen' implies TCM has the rights to the movie and just decided NOT to show it as part of this Price tribute. Again, we all should know by now that that isn't the case.

The same is true with Dracula.

mark, gotta agree with you and Janet : I took a tape of *Champagne For Caesar* out of the library years ago. It's such a funny movie, and you're right Vincent is "Priceless" in this film. Ronald Colman ( I love him) was wonderful and so was Celeste. It's such a good film, and it's shameful that it's never shown on tv.

Lavender, you probably remember me tellin' the folks around here that a few years before Vinny's death, he(and Art Linkletter) sat right behind me and my wife at the Director's Guild Theater in L.A. during a showing of this film. And then later on after the showing, we walked up to him in the lobby while he graciously sat and discussed the film and signed his autograph with his fans, and I told him how much I always enjoyed his over-the-top but perfect for the movie performance and how when I'd tell others about how funny he was in it, almost everyone I said that to would react in an astonished manner because they would never think of him being in a comedy.

He laughed and told me how much he appreciated hearing my comment, and said one of the things he regretted in his life was that he didn't do more of that genre, as he really enjoyed doing that role.

(...and ya know, as a spoof of "The vast wasteland of television", this film IS still quite fresh in some ways)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jul 10, 2013 10:51 AM

If it's any consolation, Laura pops up on the Fox Movie Channel every year or two, and when it does, they're liable to show it 10 times in the space of a few months. The FMC is like the little girl with the curl, either very, very good (when they show off their splendid collection of noirs) or very, very bad (all other times).

I think the weakest night is the one with all the RKO titles-- October 10th. He is fourth or fifth billed in those, and they star either Jane Russell or Victor Mature, or both. They do not really showcase Vincent Price very well and seem like filler.

If LAURA were ever leased by TCM from Fox it would be used for Gene Tierney as Star of the Month. It would not be used for a supporting character actor.

There are a few other Fox titles they should have used, because he has a major role and they would fit in nicely with a month of Halloween-themed movies. One is SHOCK from 1946 with Lynn Bari, where he plays an evil doctor. And the other is THE FLY, from 1958.

HEY! Are they gonna show "The Tingler"???

'Cause if they ARE, then I'll get my Lazyboy lounger all rigged up with that joy-buzzer I have somewhere out there in my garage and REALLY get into THAT one!

Yep, like they say, "A Man's home IS his (William) Castle"!!!

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> The use of the word 'chosen' implies TCM has the rights to the movie and just decided NOT to show it as part of this Price tribute. Again, we all should know by now that that isn't the case.

I thank you for the correction.

You are of course correct that it was a poor choice of words. I should have perhaps instead said that it is sad that the movie is not available.

Well like I said Hibi, THAT'S just one o' those Vinny Price flicks that ya gotta go all "William Castle-esque" on or you'd be missin' out on the "complete experience"!

And here I would've thought you'd know THAT!

Yep, in FACT whenever I know beforehand that they're gonna show Vinny in "House on Haunted Hill", I always rig up in my living room and up above my TV set that glow-in-the-dark skeleton that I ALSO keep out there in my garage for just such an occasion.

;)

The Tingler is one of the few (and maybe the only) Castle film that still creeps me out! The rest I enjoy for camp value. Granted, its cheaply done (hey, its William Castle!) But that thing is so yucky looking......And the story is so disturbing too (at least it disturbs me!)

The Tingler is one of the few (and maybe the only) Castle film that still creeps me out! The rest I enjoy for camp value. Granted, its cheaply done (hey, its William Castle!) But that thing is so yucky looking......And the story is so disturbing too (at least it disturbs me!)

Creeps me out too. The tingler itself and that projectionist and wife. Yikes! Just like that housekeeper in House on Haunted Hill when she comes floating into the wine cellar. Ahhhhh!!!!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings