Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bob's Picks

Hibi

Did anyone watch last night? I watched the first two. Enjoyed Reckless Moment more this second viewing. Dont really care much for TradeWinds (thought I'd give it another try).......Still havent seen Algiers......

You would have turned off ALGIERS after 15 minutes. Terrible print as it's a public domain film which isn't likely to be restored.

I watched TRADE WINDS the last time it aired but getting through it was enough of a slog to keep me from ever viewing it again.

I think RO said the last time I saw it that Tradewinds held the record (for its time) for the amount of processed shots and I believe it. Gets annoying after awhile. March looked so ridiculous wearing that helmet through half the movie...I noticed the Algiers print was bad, so decided not to record it.

I always enjoy Bobs picks. They're usually movies I haven't seen and I usually enjoy them.

Algiers was worth watching if you want to see where Pepe LePew came from..... "come with me to ze casbah.....

I was near spellbound with Bob's first pick last night, The Reckless Moment, Hibi. This was my first viewing of it, and found myself pulled right into it.

Though filmed a few years before my birth, having been born and bred in SoCal, I knew well of these Balboa and downtown Los Angeles locations, and so this might have possibly helped with that "being pulled right into it" feeling and which I felt Max Ophuls' direction captured quite well, along with the nice pacing of his film which seemed to flow well from one scene to the next. I also found the script's dialogue fairly free of false notes.

I thought Joan Bennett gave a very good performance as the blackmailed mother of the family, and as was often the case in James Mason's career in which he seemed to master the playing of the type of characters which while morally flawed, you can't help but root for because of some redeeming value he also projects, he indeed had me rooting for him yet again in this film.

And regarding Trade Winds, all I can about THIS one is I found it "All over the place". And not ONLY in regards to its being a story which involved a lot of world traveling, but ALSO because it can't seem to make up its mind about which genre of movie it wants to be, though I might add I DID actually enjoy watching it because of the chemistry which Fredric March and Joan Bennett provide and because Ann Sothern was such a hoot in it.

Yes, *The Reckless Moment *is a very good movie and both Bennett and Mason were spot on.

The book Film Noir (Ward Silver), contains this movie and it was one I had on my 'must see' movie list. I also enjoyed the Orange Country, CA location. Balboa island is a place I go to about once a week since I have a lot of friends there.

NOW: I'm waiting for Fred to point out how unrealistic the quick change of heart is for the Mason character. :) Ok, that wasn't realistic, but like many movie plots, if one just accepts this premise 'as is' the rest of the plot flows very well.

Yes, liked Reckless Moment a lot. Moves at a fast clip (a bit too fast at times). The remake (The Deep End, I think it's called, is good too. Follows the same basic plot but its tweaked a bit here and there and takes place in the present time)..........Unusual as the victim and bad guy bond (sort of) and it becomes more than the usual melodrama.........

Loved how Joan had to go through all this high melodrama over a wknd, but had to pretend that nothing was amiss to the rest of her family (not always succeeding, LOL).........

Edited by: Hibi on Jul 11, 2013 1:11 PM

Yes, why I said it moves a bit too quickly at times. A bit more character development could've helped some. But things happen so quickly, you dont have time to dwell on stuff like that until later on (LOL).....

Edited by: Hibi on Jul 11, 2013 1:15 PM

>NOW: I'm waiting for Fred to point out how unrealistic the quick change of heart is for the Mason character. :) Ok, that wasn't realistic, but like many movie plots, if one just accepts this premise 'as is' the rest of the plot flows very well.

Hmmmm...I dunno, James. Remember, Fred has stated innumerable times around here that he prefers his movies run no longer than an hour and a half and about as long at they used to run back in the pre-code days.

And so, you MAY be waitin' a long time before THAT happens!!! ;)

LOL

(...though yes, I have to admit Mason's becoming infatuated with Bennett in this one DOES seem to happen overnight, and as if there might have been few scenes left on the cutting room floor)

I had a chuckle when viewing this time around when Joan goes to pawn her jewelry and gets some measly amount for them, she never thinks to pawn the mink coat she was wearing, which I'm sure would have brought a lot more dough to the total. Maybe she didnt want to part with it? (LOL)

I thought the final scenes of the film were so well done. Joan's final scene with Mason (dont want to give anything away) was so heartbreaking. You'd think she was crying over some family member in crisis. Then her last scene when she's sobbing in bed, then her husband calls and she has to pull it together and put on a good face for him and her family who are crowding around is the final irony. You know this is a secret Joan's character will carry to the grave. I thought her acting was wonderful in those scenes. (Oddly, Joan didnt think much of the movie in her later years and remarked it "wasnt anything much" after she went to a screening. One of her daughters remarked after seeing the film many years after it was made for the first time, she was bowled over, because the character was so much like Joan in real life-the homemaker part)....

Edited by: Hibi on Jul 11, 2013 4:03 PM

Edited by: Hibi on Jul 11, 2013 4:11 PM

Know ya Hibi, the whole "mink coat" thing didn't cross my mind at all, but it IS a good point.

Yep, in that era, one of most prized possessions a woman could own and which was quite often THE most sought-after gift a women would ask for, would have been a mink coat or stole. Yep, even women living in sunny and warm SoCal where the "need" for one would be far less than in a lot of other locations in this country.

(...in fact, I still remember the look of joy on my own mother's face when my father surprised her with one in the early '60s)

Not so Dargou ! A Mink Coat 'decreases' in value, it becomes used, whereas, jewelry usually increases in value, I know.

Besides, jewelry is 'one size fits all' as opposed to a Mink Coat. Try and get a fat lady in a mink coat ! :0

Twink

Well Lucy's father as well as the kids were aware that Martin had visited the house more than once. So once her dad knew that Martin murdered two people (at least that is what the newspapers will say), it is only logical that he would ask her what their relationship was.

Lucy's husband is also very likely to find out about their relationship since many people in town saw them together. (even if her father and kids decided not to anything). So Lucy will have to make up some type of story.

The book Film Noir, makes it clear that the key to this story is Lucy as homemaker. In fact that is key to Martin's transformation. He didn't wish to disturb what was once a tranquil home like he did his mother's home. We get some of these details from Martin near the end of the story when he talks about being the bad one of this mother's 5 sons and not to make the same mistake his mother did in thinking he can be saved.

And yes, I was really moved by the ending. (but I'm surprised no one yet has told me 'I don't thing this is a noir'!).

Yes, I think the filmmakers overlooked the mink coat as far as the plot went (LOL). They probably wanted her to wear it to contrast with the seedy area she was slumming in, not thinking Joan could very well hock that too!

Edited by: Hibi on Jul 11, 2013 4:26 PM

Yeah, I felt it was "Noir", James. Just because a large part of it took place in the openness of Balboa and not downtown L.A. didn't detract from that feeling at all.

Remember, much of what took place in Balboa was during the dark of night, which definitely added to this feeling.

>Not so Dargou ! A Mink Coat 'decreases' in value, it becomes used, whereas, jewelry usually increases in value, I know.

Maybe in today's market where the idea of owing fur is considered "Politically Incorrect" and thus a much smaller market than it was in THAT era this MIGHT be true, however I do recall that in THAT era there were MANY shops which sold still highly-priced second hand furs to the public, and thus even that commodity was considered a high-value one.

>Try and get a fat lady in a mink coat !

Well, if I WOULD ever attempt that Twink, I would be sure to wait until after she sings!

(...'cause of course, "it wouldn't be over" yet!) ;)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jul 11, 2013 1:41 PM

I'm sure Joan would have to come up with some sort of story, but I dont think she'd ever reveal the murders involved or her daughter's involvement...We already know the maid would keep her mouth shut. And the daughter wasnt going to tell........Her father and the son had questions, but she just brushed them off. No doubt Joan would probably ask them to just forget about it,once dad gets home (LOL)...

Edited by: Hibi on Jul 11, 2013 4:37 PM

Edited by: Hibi on Jul 11, 2013 4:39 PM

Her father and son had questions but that was before they knew Martin had killed two people. Kind of hard to just brush them off after they find that out.

As for the mink coat; I believe you're correct that the coat was used to contrast her with the seedy surroundings. (and we all know that pawn shops are always in the seedy part of town).

Also, the maid was indeed a trooper! Good help like that is hard to find.

Yes, the maid went beyond the call of duty! Hope she got an extra week of vacation or something for her efforts. Guess we'll never know how Lucia managed it all in the end, but I'd like to think from her behavior over the wknd, she was able to keep it swept under the carpet! (LOL)

I see the homemaker in you is coming out after watching that movie: keep it swept under the carpet

Very funny!

Yea, if I was her I would just say that I had an infatuation with his accent, but that it didn't lead to anything. i.e. keep it as far away from blackmail and murder as possible.

Oh, and can anyone say that were not rooting for Martin to give it to Nagal. I was yelling at the TV saying kill that SOB!

Yeah, well, why is it I'm gettin' the feelin' you'd feel a little differently about this if Joan and her family lived in, say, Cherry Hill and she kept havin' to drive into downtown Philadelphia to meet with all the lowlifes THERE!!!

(...uh huh...I'd bet you'd get a little more into it if THAT were the case, eh finance???!!!) ;)

LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings