Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MOVIES ! a new channel for classic films

mrroberts

I just recently discovered this channel on my cable system, I believe it just started operating . Called MOVIES ! , they are showing a wide range of films concentrating on the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80"s (just my general observation, they are currently showing "Nevada Smith" ). They do have some commercials , nothing like AMC though, thank God. They also show a disclaimer at the start of a film that states that they do not edit out time from the film to show more commercials. So I assume that means NO editing, maybe some language or nudity is "blocked out " at the most. So except for the occasional commercial all is well. TCM will continue to be my first choice for viewing, but it is good that there are some alternatives out there, maybe they can source some pictures that TCM can't easily get. And for the whiners who can't stand that TCM doesn't program their personal favorites 24/7 , they can change the channel.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jul 9, 2013 7:50 PM

Well key to me for any movie channel is if they edit content. I would rather watch a station that has SOME well placed commercials with an extended viewing time (e.g. 2 hour movie shown in a 2 12 hour time), than watch a station that edits content.

Thank you for that link , Fred. I had trouble searching on the internet for the site. I am on a local community cable service so my channels don't always match up with a major service like Comcast. Cuurrently I am on a premium service level so I get the HBO/Cinemax channels as well as many other channels that aren't part of a basic service. On a basic package I wouldn't get many stations (like TCM, FMC, MeTV, etc). And because my DVD/VCR recorder doesn't have a digital tuner I can't record many of these channels (thankfully I CAN record TCM).

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote} So I assume that means NO editing,

That might not always be the case. Perhaps, the channel itself doesn't edit the films, but that doesn't mean the film hasn't been edited before they get it. Often distributors will edit films, sometimes for content, but mainly for a uniformity of running times so each film has the same amount of time available for commercials. Sometimes that will be the only version they make available.

For many years I ran the film department at a local station and towards the end of my career almost every film (by then only distributed on tape) came to us in a pre-edited version that had been cut to 92 minutes, for a two-hour time slot, regardless of its original running time.

TCM has been burned more than once when an edited version has been sent to them instead the uncut version ordered.

Markfp2 makes a good point about the editing issue. If the station gets an "edited" copy to air, we can't blame them for the result. They only promise to air what they receive. I really believe that TCM (and hopefully the other stations) make a sincere effort to get the best , most complete, movie copy available and they don't deserve to get criticized for the end product.

> {quote:title=Geraldddddd wrote:}{quote}Unfortunately, I have no clue how to tune into ch. 13.3 ?:|

Assuming you have a digital TV or a digital converter box, it's easy. Click the menu button on your remote and there will be something on the list called "set up" or similar. Click on that and on the next menu you'll find a place to click and scan or add channels that your device will receive. After you do that, if you can get 13.3 it will show up. FYI the rescanning process can take as much as 20 minutes so do it when you are not in a hurry to watch anything. If you have the instruction manual that will show you how to do it. Good luck.

It is my understanding that movies edited for content due to FCC guidelines have to be label as such. So it is NOT OK in my view for a station NOT to know they are getting a movie that was edited for content.

Now movies that were edited by the studios (e.g. a pre-code that was re-released after the code was in place, a movie with a different ending for a European versus the USA release), are different. I can see why a station might not know which version they were getting (but at the same time savvy programmers should know and this is an area TCM can improve on).

>I can see why a station might not know which version they were getting

I think there are several films that nobody knows what is the original edit.

For example, a few years ago TCM was showing the original release version of TOUCH OF EVIL.

Then TCM ran a documentary about how the film had some editing changes, made by some film professors or someone in modern times, that changed some of the edits, because they said "That's the way Orson would want it to be edited." And I think TCM has been airing the re-edited version ever since.

And then there are films like GREED and LOST HORIZONS that TCM airs that have been re-edited and a lot of still photos added.

Well, folks, NO Hollywood film was ever was released, in this manner, with still photos used in place of film with a dialogue sound track playing.

There were some films that used still photos for a special effect, such as the New York sequence in BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, but no film like GREED or LOST HORIZONS was released with still photos substituting for film. So TCM does sometimes specifically rent edited and cut films.

I agree with your statement; I think there are several films that nobody knows what is the original edit.

I have made this point when people complain that TCM shows 'edited or cut' films. Firsts there has to be an original film; the definitive general release in America, at a specific point in time, version.

Each of the criteria I list is key;

General release in America; The Big Sleep was released to the troops overseas but was altered (a lot), by the time it was released in the USA after WWII ended. Also ending were sometimes changed for European or British release. These are official studio versions but for different markets.

Specific Point in Time; Pre-codes were re-released by the studios after the Hays code was put in place. Thus both versions are official studio versions. So one needs to know the timeframe of the release.

Than we have director cuts and the odd example of the Touch of Evil 'professor' cut.

So as you noted it can be difficult to keep up with what is the original. All I ask is that stations like TCM clearly identify the criteria associated with the version they are showing.

Over the many years of watching TCM and old original AMC, I have seen some oddities.

For example, just one time I saw the American version of THE THIRD MAN, which has Joseph Cotten giving the opening narration to the film. All other copies I've seen has the British narration in the beginning.

On TCM, I've seen two versions of MEN MUST FIGHT. One is the original 1933 version, which shows some mild newsreel footage of pre-1933 military parades in Europe and Japan. Version 2 must be a re-release of the late 1930s or early 40s, because it shows Nazi soldiers on parade, Japanese war-time soldiers marching, and also war-time Italian soldiers. I saw this version first and I nearly fell out of my chair, since the film showed picture phones, TVs in bars, and the late 1930s military parades but in a 1933 movie ! :)

Several years ago TCM showed both versions of THE BIG SLEEP, plus a good long documentary about how and why the changes were made.

Some professors did a good job of finally editing and releasing Orson Welles' documentary film, ITS ALL TRUE (filmed in 1941), which he never finished or released. but, finally, someone edited and released it in 1992-93) which aired on TCM several years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107233/

TCM and other companies have done a good job of finding missing pre-1934 footage that had to be cut from some films because of the June/July 1934 movie Code. For example, Frankenstein throwing the little girl in the lake was never shown in the old copies of FRANKENSTEIN that I saw on TV in the 1950s. I never knew about it until the 1990s.

Also, much material cut from King Kong in 1934 has been found and added back into the film, mainly brutal stuff showing Kong killing natives just after he comes through the big open gate on the island.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings