Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bill Hader

Baminark

WAIT! Wasn't the movie he hosted tonight "The Stratton Story"???

So, what's your beef here, dude???!!!

(...oh...wait...it was "The Magnificent Seven", ya say?!...sorry, never mind then...I don't think Brynner OR McQueen ever go to the mound as either a starter OR in relief in this one, huh!) ;)

People pronounce words differently, depending usually on where they grew up. Although I too can cringe sometimes if someone says a word in a way that I feel is "incorrect", I try to keep in mind that how we speak is as much a regional phenomenon as it is an educational one.

Come to think of it, I believe I say "pitcher", as opposed to "piK -ture". Oh well. I know someone who was born in England (although they came to Canada at a very early age) and they are rather snobbish at times about how Canadians enunciate certain words.

For instance, this person says "Antony", without prouncing the "th", whereas North Americans tend to say "AnTHony", with the "th" sound. I think it's up to the person called Anthony how others say their name.

Another example is "almond". I say it "ahl-mund". My friend insists it's "ah-mund", the "l" being silent.

I realize all this is rather tedious, I'm just trying to demonstrate that there is more than one "correct" way to pronounce words.

Of course, there is also just plain dopiness, as in when people say "nu-cu-lar" instead of "nuCLEEar".

All that said (thank you to those who have read this far) I want to say that I very much like Bill Hader, I think he's doing a great job on "The Essentials Junior", I will sorely miss him on Saturday Night Live, and in brief (or not so brief), I think he is one of the funniest men in the world.

>Of course, there is also just plain dopiness, as in when people say "nu-cu-lar" instead of "nuCLEEar".

Now MissW. I must inform you that NOBODY down here south of 49th says it THAT way since our Presidential election of 2008!!!

(...AND if they DO, then it would ONLY be in the location of a ranch situated near Crawford Texas!!!)

LOL

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}Maybe us Canadians should spend more time at the liberry.

Especially in the month of Febuary.

(Now Dargo's going to say Canadians are obsessed with beer, which is why we-or some of us anyway -still pronounce the "r" in that word -Feb-BREW -ary. yukyukyuk. )

LOL

Well MissW, at LEAST you don't pronounce the "w" in the word "answer", anyway...'cause THAT of course WOULD BE weird no matter WHERE ya live! ;)

Btw, this reminds me of something that was goin' around the internet a few years ago in which there was a little "test" that would give you phonetic sound-alike multiple choice answers as to how one would pronounces certain words in the English language, and then after you finished, it would tell you where you were "from"...and it was pretty accurate as I recall.

(...at least I remember being somewhat impressed that it pegged me as bein' a Californian, anyway)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings