Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leslie Caron - Cold Fish?

yanceycravat

Last night during Robert Osborne's remarks regarding SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON, Robert commented one reason Kim Stanley took the film was because director Bryan Forbes got a good performance out of an actress Stanley thought of as a cold fish. Stanley never publicly stated who the actress was.

Since Forbes only directed twp films beforet, THE L-SHAPED ROOM and WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND it might narrow it down pretty closely about whom Kim Stanley was speaking. Since WDTW doesn't have a big actress in it's cast I'm wondering if Leslie Caron is the one.

Not an earth shattering question just wondering what people think of Caron as an actress.

Yancey

> {quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:}{quote}Last night during Robert Osborne's remarks regarding SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON, Robert commented one reason Kim Stanley took the film was because director Bryan Forbes got a good performance out of an actress Stanley thought of as a cold fish. Stanley never publicly stated who the actress was.

>

> Since Forbes only directed twp films beforet, THE L-SHAPED ROOM and WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND it might narrow it down pretty closely about whom Kim Stanley was speaking. Since WDTW doesn't have a big actress in it's cast I'm wondering if Leslie Caron is the one.

>

> Not an earth shattering question just wondering what people think of Caron as an actress.

>

> Yancey

>

>

>

She was very firm in a nice way to Cary Grant about his boozing in Father Goose. :D

Interesting you should bring up the subject of Leslie Caron at this time, yancy. Just the other day I started at thread about my favourite Leslie Caron movie, *Lili*. She certainly wasn't a cold fish in that.

*Seance on a Wet Afternoon* is such a sad film. Richard Attenborough speaks volumes with his melancholy facial expressions, especially when he's listening to Kim Stanley's unhinged ramblings.

I am so glad the little girl lived. I'd only seen the film once before, years ago, and could not remember if she did.

It reminded me a little of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves", the bit where Myra orders Billy to kill the child, and he makes her believe he has done so, but in fact he's just taken her to a park where she will be found and brought to safety. (Like the Woodsman in Snow White, who cannot bear to take Snow White's life and so just leaves her in the forest.)

Hi, yancey! I think there's no doubt that Stanley was referring to Leslie Caron, who under the guidance of Bryan Forbes gives an excellent performance in THE L-SHAPED ROOM. (And, by the way, you need only compare Kim Stanley's Method mannerisms run amok in THE GODDESS with her work in SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON to appreciate how Forbes could help a performer edit her work and reach for the depths of her character.) I'm guessing that as a stage actress Kim Stanley looked down her nose at a mere movie star like Leslie Caron.

I'm actually a big fan of Leslie Caron, charmed by her in just about any film. Her memoir, THANK HEAVEN, should appeal to many TCM viewers.

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

>

> I'm guessing that as a stage actress Kim Stanley looked down her nose at a mere movie star like Leslie Caron.

>

>

>

King - I'm in agreement. I had the same thought. Especially since Stanley only made 6 films in her career. I've a feeling there was a bit of stage snobbery at play. (Forgive the pun.) Also, Stanley was not the young beauty Caron was.

I like Stanley's performance in SEANCE. One odd thing though, through out the film I was reminded of Geraldine Page. I found a similarity in style and voice between the two.

Miss Wonderly -

I, too, was glad the little girl lived. You're quite right about Richard Attenborough. His performance is quite touching. I hated his age make up. I thought that was pretty bad.

Yancey

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings