Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carson on TCM

cbquine

I am so very disappointed with "Carson on TCM". I like to watch my movies, not Johnny Carson and especially not Conan. Where do viewers get to tell the programmers we are not happy with their format? This really stinks!

I agree :)

The Carson interviews are fun to watch ! I thought Jonathan Winters was hilarious, couldn't stop laughing when he went on about how he got electrocuted by his Lionel train at Christmas.

It's fun to watch Johnny laugh to the point where he almost falls out of his chair. :)

Twink

:D I've enjoyed these interviews much more than I thought I would. It's not the interviewees who get raunchy but Carson, who's innocent-looking face belies a rather salacious mind, trying to herd the guests in that direction. Usually it hasn't worked.

That Winters-Reid exchange was priceless. Both had strong opinions which were not all right or all wrong but reminded us of the thinking of the times. I thought Ronald Reagan stated his views in a rational and humorous manner; this was how he got that office he didn't want to discuss five years later. I didn't always agree with him but think he should be demonized either.

I'll be watching the rest of the shows. Thank you, TCM.

finance, I've always thought much of Williams' and his "mentor" Winters' appeal is/was their ability to instantaneously and totally "get into the character" of those "peculiar voices", and an ability which seems somewhat rare. Nope, it was never so much the verbal content of their act, it was more that very thing which makes their brand of humor uniquely their own.

financeu....it must have been the mood you were in, trust me Williams/Winters were both very funny, especially Winters. He had Johnny in stitches and was almost as funnie' as Dargou. :^0

It's always fun to see the reaction on Johnny's face, that alone is priceless !

Twink

I

I thought I might point on that Ronald Reagan was viewing the presidency he "didn't want to talk about" as a possibility for himself in a time frame much shorter than five years. In fact, the very next year after appearing on "Carson", Reagan challenged the incumbent president, Gerald Ford, the Republican Party nomination. Usually, dividing party loyalties like that is considered poor form, and I'm not sure it's ever been successful, but Reagan came damn close. Ford secured the nomination by a margin of only 100 delegates at the national convention. Reagan rallied the far right wing of the party, who viewed Ford as an ineffective moderate. Also, Ford was on somewhat shaky ground, being in the unique historical position of being the only man to ever hold the office of both president and vice president without being elected to either, getting both jobs when the incumbent (Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew) resigned due to controversy.

I have childhood memories of Carson interviewing Shelly Winters and her talking about being Marilyn Monroe's roommate at one time. I was hoping this would be that interview, but either it was a different one, or the Marilyn stories got edited out. I don't think it was this one. I wasn't old enough to be allowed to stay up and watch Carson when this interview aired. Her confrontation with Oliver Reed was quite shocking, I thought. Luckily, he maintained his cool, and things didn't get really ugly.

My favorite interview of the night was actually the one with Michael Caine, who perhaps because of his upbringing, always comes across as genuinely appreciative of his circumstances. I had certainly never heard of this ASHANTI film he dissed. A quick Wikipedia scan reveals it was released by Warner Brothers in 1979 and had a fairly stunning cast - Caine, Omar Sharif, Peter Ustinov, Rex Harrison and William Holden. Holy crap! I'd love for TCM to show this movie, even if it is terrible.

>My favorite interview of the night was actually the one with Michael Caine, who perhaps because of his upbringing, always comes across as genuinely appreciative of his circumstances.

Yeah, his entertainingly told stories about his first arriving into the Hollywood scene and his ones about Frank Sinatra especially brought out this aspect of his personally, didn't they sewhite.

I especially liked the one about his sitting next to Sinatra on his private plane and suddenly feeling out of his element, and Sinatra telling him that that's exactly how HE felt the first time he met Ronald Colman and Charles Laughton.