Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone Watch Hollow Triumph Last Night?

Hibi

Hi, yes I saw it.

See my 2-hump camel thread. At the end of that thread, I talk about a major script flaw in the movie, regarding WHY Henreid put his scar on the WRONG SIDE of his own face.

This has bothered me for years, because it is a very clever part of the story, a basic error the killer makes, but it is improperly explained in the movie and it makes no sense the way it is explained in the movie.

Yep. Thankfully the All-Star game ended just minutes before 11:30.

It's a pretty entertaining noir with some nice shots, and Joan Bennett

isn't quite as devious as she sometimes is, plus it's only an hour and

a half long. I give it a B-.

If I were Henreid, I would have made another scar on the other side of

my face and said "Well, I got into quite a fight with my girlie last night

and she came after me with a razor." Case closed. I think the only one

who really noticed it was the cleaning woman, and even she wasn't that

concerned. Maybe there's a psychology lesson in there somewhere.

I kinda came in on the middle of it. But these two guys apparently gave Henried a photo of the scar and were talking about how they made the negative backwards. That's how come the scar was on the wrong side of his face.

I've always thought that people who like a certain movie genre tend

to like a movie of that genre, even if it's not among the top tier in that

genre. So if you like noir, you'll probably like Hollow Triumph. Joan's

character was so world-weary, seen it all, that I don't think she could

have done much anyway. Very different from Lazylegs.

>I kinda came in on the middle of it. But these two guys apparently gave Henried a photo of the scar and were talking about how they made the negative backwards. That's how come the scar was on the wrong side of his face.

Actually, the thing about the negative being backwards is wrong. That dialogue should have not even been in the movie. If the negative had been backwards in the enlarger, and had the print been backwards, Henried would have made the SAME mirror mistake, BUT he would have put his on scar on the CORRECT side of his face.

I think maybe this is just too complex for most people to understand.

I learned in the news business that even the most intelligent people can not understand certain simple concepts, if the concepts involve some left-right or fast-slow conditions, espcially conditions that change during the telling of the story.

Ok, here is the post and the thread where I explain the situation with the 2 scars, the photograph, and the mirror:

http://forums.tcm.com/message.jspa?messageID=8777116#8777116

>If I were Henreid, I would have made another scar on the other side

>of my face and said "Well, I got into quite a fight with my girlie last >night and she came after me with a razor." Case closed.

That is a very clever idea.

Of course, everyone who knew the doctor would have realized the scars changed sides, but two scars could have gotten him out of his problem. Maybe with a more believable story, such as the Mafia is still after him because of some past debt, or something like that, and they made both scars.

Ok, I found the movie and I cued it up to the mirror scene at 39:23 into this clip. And you can see how Henreid made his mistake by using the mirror, which showed him a reversed image of himself.

This is followed by the incorrect dialogue in the photo shop.

A little later in the movie we see that the scar on the doctor is on the left side of the doctors face. That happens at 51:35 in this clip. But by now Henreid has his own scar on the right side of his own face.

The actual reversal of Henreids face sides takes place in the mirror and not in the photograph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Qb7k9zn_0iw#t=2363s

Hibi, please let us know what you think of it when you see it?

I am not sure this is a great movie, but I always have totally dug it! It just seems to hit it on all cylinders for me, and the ending...wow. Won't spoil it for you at all, but yeah, it's a totally groovin' flick!

I think maybe this is just too complex for most people to understand.

On 41/2 hours sleep? Yeah, it is. I thought my eyeballs were going to pop outta my head when I read your Hollow Triumph reference in the camel hump conundrum topic. (Say that 3 times fast.)

> {quote:title=John2Bad wrote:}{quote}*I've always thought that people who like a certain movie genre tend*

> *to like a movie of that genre, even if it's not among the top tier in that*

> *genre.* So if you like noir, you'll probably like Hollow Triumph. Joan's

> character was so world-weary, seen it all, that I don't think she could

> have done much anyway. Very different from Lazylegs.

That sums me up pretty well. Very few noirs I really don't like, and aside from the plot glitch that several people have mentioned, this one scores for atmosphere and characters. Other than Casablanca, Now Voyager, and Deception, it's probably my favorite Henreid film.

I don't want to butt in with unsolicited advice, however......if I were Henreid, I would

have bought a cheap but effective disguise and waited around the building when the

doctor was going in or out and found out which side the scar was on.....or I would

have killed the doctor first and then I would have known for sure which side it was on,

then made the scar on my face. Some of these noir types aren't the sharpest tools

in the shed, but then again how could they be doomed and disillusioned if they were

successful?

Me too. I enjoy them even if they aren't completely up to snuff, and Hollow

Triumph was fairly entertaining. It's kind of funny about the scar, very few

people in the movie seem to make a big deal out of it, so why should I?

I watched the film yesterday and enjoyed it. Pretty good noir even if they botched the scar part (after reading Fred's critique) I didnt really think about that too much when I watched it (the explanation) I thought it odd, that no one in the film (especially Joan!) noticed that the scar was on the wrong side of his face! Except the cleaning lady. I think the filmmakers were going for irony there. I did like the ending (and kind of guessed how that was going to be, though not the exact circumstances). Like Dead Ringer a couple decades later, I felt the character would "pay" for the other one's "sins"....

My only major disappointment was that you barely saw the other Henried. I was hoping for more of a Dead Ringer type film with camera tricks, but that was not to be. Also the movie didnt make clear who the real brother was (at least to me). I kept thinking that the doctor was Henried's brother until the real brother came back later. (I thought they were twins for awhile) Joan's character was hard to believe at times (that she'd just go along with Henreid's character so easily) but I thought she acted it well.

Not a great film, but very glad to have finally saw it!

Hibi, so happy you had a chance to view this flick!!! Thank you also for taking the time to share your thoughts about it! Actually kinda agree with ya about the plot points and such, but it's such a compelling and fun watch for me, I pretty much ignore those every time I check this one out! I totally agree with you about the cleaning lady, I do think they were probably going for some irony there, for sure!

Thanks again!!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings