Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Baby, it's HOT outside

misswonderly3

Hey, it's July 19th (almost.) Is this what they call "mid-summer"?

Whatever you call it, it's frigging HOT. 40 degrees in Southern Ontario with the humidex. That must be, oh, around 100 degrees in U.S. of A. language.

I thought, just for fun, although I do not think it'll cool any of us off -maybe the opposite !- we could talk about movies that have hot summer scenes in them. Must be lots.

Starters: Ok, predictable... *The Long Hot Summer* . And as though Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman don't generate enough heat in their scenes together (well, I think they do, especially that one in the store after closing...) the whole thing is set IN THE SOUTH, IN THE SUMMERTIME. Hot stuff, baby !

Any more hot ideas ?

When I think of a really hot summer, Harper Lee's very descriptive opening narration in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD always comes to mind.

"Macon was a tired old town, even in 1932 when I knew it. Somehow, it was hotter than. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning. Ladies bath before noon, after their three o'clock naps and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frosting of sweat and talcum."

Nothing more had to be said...you knew it was hot.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAS5x_opDalRcPRvHtDpI

Well, MissW, while I know that this image is not exactly the same kind of hot you are talking about, it can work out to our advantage on a hot, sticky summer day like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYRi6f8_N_cAI8iMwCM4X

Now don't tell me that this guy's temperature is skyrocketing because of the weather. And then, if you're lucky:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz9r-7oQeNqY_KJD_2-hd

AH, relief! And, except for the inevitable visit by the fire department, how sweet it is!

By the way, for those who thought that this posting was just a cheap excuse to show off a sexy shot of Sophia Loren, you're wrong.

If, on the other hand, I had posted this picture:

yes2.jpg

. . . you'd be right!

Southern Ontario? Yeah, that'd be on par with Southestern Michigan. And it WAS that hot.

I'd be fine with the reporting of 90+ degree temps if the danged weathermen would quit insisting on telling us the HEAT INDEX! Put the "wind-chill factor" in the winter on that list! I regret having to do a "walk-away" from my last house. IT had CENTRAL AIR!

Sepiatone

It's so hot here in Staten Island! Where's the relief! I can't even go swimming. I have a bad toe infection on and off for months. Hopefully, the doctor I go to tomorrow can help me. The others made it worse! Then I go to more doctors for something else. So far from age 30 to now 49 I suffered with all different health problems. Sorry to vent out here but the heat is making it worse. Tom, If you want to get me hot post some half naked men. I know the guys enjoyed the beauties you posted!

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} *crazyblonde said :Tom, If you want to get me hot post some half naked men.*

{font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} {font}images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmIP4TRanEc8mzSdI2hVe

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}

How about a half naked duck? {font}

> {quote:title=Janet0312 wrote:}{quote}We're waiting on you to send us that cold front that's due to hit New England Saturday afternoon. What's the hold up?

"Cold front"? COLD front? If you live in New England, Janet baby, shirley you're familiar enough with Canada - Ontario, anyway- to know that much of this country gets at least as hot and humid as yours' does in the summer. I wish, yeah, that there were some way we could save some of the cold from winter time and somehow keep it in a capsule and then release it into the Canadian summer, to alleviate the oppressive heat we get here in July. But so far they haven't discovered a way to do that.

In the meantime, it' s staggeringly hot. I mean, people are literally staggering all over the place, because they're practically fainting from the plus 40 degree HEAT (that would be over 100* F. in your fine land. (Well, maybe nobody's actually "staggering". But they're faltering, anyway.)

Yeah, anything in under the "80's"- that would be the "20s" here - would be deliciously cool by comparison.

Thanks to those who suggested movies with "hot" settings; also thanks to those who just uh, suggested. ]:)

"But seriously", getting back to movies, any film based on a Tennessee Williams play you know is going to be set in a steamy hot place.

Look at *Streetcar Named Desire* - set in steamy New Orleans - and how poor Blanche is always trying to stay crisp and fresh in the wilting heat. Although why she takes hot baths in that kind of weather is beyond me.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 19, 2013 2:01 PM

I'll play SansFin here, and suggest that because the bath is hot and steamy, any air outside of the bath will have a cooling effect. Like the old Chinese belief that drinking hot tea on a hot day will seem cooling, because the tea is actually rising your body heat to match the outside temp, and therefore making it not SEEM as hot.

Sepiatone

Like the old Chinese belief that drinking hot tea on a hot day will seem cooling, because the tea is actually rising your body heat to match the outside temp, and therefore making it not SEEM as hot.

That's Chinese? Okay, I just never knew they did that.

I remember reading Edna Ferber's "Giant" and being stunned at the crazy idea of drinking hot coffee on a boiling hot day to feel cool.

"Cold front"? COLD front? If you live in New England, Janet baby, shirley you're familiar enough with Canada - Ontario, anyway- to know that much of this country gets at least as hot and humid as yours' does in the summer. I wish, yeah, that there were some way we could save some of the cold from winter time and somehow keep it in a capsule and then release it into the Canadian summer, to alleviate the oppressive heat we get here in July. But so far they haven't discovered a way to do that.

Yes, I live in the sweltering heat and humidity of New England. And don't call me Shirley.

I dumped a bucket of ice water on my dog and myself. You have no business sending us hazy, hot, and humid air. You have a hellava lot a nerve. There's no such thing as heat in Canada. Get with the program and send us some ice.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings