Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NewYorkGuy

Thanks for "Gidget Goes to Rome"

Several times in the last several years I've mentioned on the boards that I'd enjoy seeing one of my guilty pleasures, "Gidget Goes to Rome," on the TCM schedule, and yesterday we got that chance. And in letterbox, at that.

It's a perfect summer Sunday afternoon picture with a number of charms, including Trudi Ames and Lisa Gastoni in supporting roles and a completely successful Gidget turn by Cindy Carol. And I enjoy what's going on in the party scene about two-thirds of the way through much more as an adult than when I saw this * *ahem* * decades ago.

So, I don't know if my comments had any impact on the TCM schedulers, but I'm glad to have seen this one "missing" Gidget movie again.

Now can I speak with the schedulers about "Simon and Laura"...?

"Gidget" movies are great escapism and harmless guitly pleasures. The only thing that bothers me about them is that "Moondoggie" is probably the DUMBEST nickname ever given a movie character.

Sepiatone

I was watching The Florence Henderson show the other day, there was (still is, she's in her 60's now) a real life Gidget. Kathy Kohner Zimmerman was a 15 who lived with her dad Frederick Kohner in Malibu in the '50 and '60's. Frederick Kohner wrote the book that the Gidget films are based on. According to Kathy Kohner, she loved to surf and would come home after a day of surfing and tell her dad the stories of what had happened each day on the beach,. All those characters existed, including their crazy nicknames.

Kathy Kohner still surfs and tours the country talking about her experiences. So somewhere out there, there is a Moondoggie.

LOl. Sepia, you never know, LOL a poster here could be him! LOL

Yes, Kathy and her dad Oy'd themselves all the way to the bank with that idea :^0

I had the movie on, but wasnt really watching it. I can see why Cindy Carol never went anywhere.

Florence Henderson has her own show?

Yes, but they're re-runs. On RLTV (Retirement Living Network) she had a talk show for a few years just a few years ago. It's aires everyday.She interviewed (whioever is left) a few classic Hollywood stars and some stories and location shots of Hollywood. It was an interesting show for the most part.

Yup, it's a real tv station. Florence has a cooking show that's current on the station. She plugs Meals on Wheels. The show features some movie stars helping out at the Meals on Wheels centers, then she has a celebrity cook a meal, then she has a celebrity chef (many you see on the foodNetwork) do a healthier lower fat, etc. version.

I guess my cable co. doesnt carry it. (at least I've never come upon it)......

In my cable line up it's a higher number starion. Here it's 257. The HALMV (Hallmark Movie station) is one up from it. Cozi, Me-tv This, Anten are all higher numbers here, RLTV follows those stations.