Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saving Mr. Banks

flash70

Im looking forward to the upcoming movie, "Saving Mr. Banks"-which tells how Walt Disney came to make "Mary Poppins". Im a sucker for hollywood history and im fairly certain this movie should get a wider release then "Hitchcock" did. Is anyone else looking forward to this?

Thanks for the heads up, flash! I had not seen this movie advertised yet. I like those Hollywood histriy type movies too: HITCHCOCK, MY WEEK WITH MARILYN, THE AVIATOR, even the old TV movie (I think it was on TV anyway) THE SCARLETT O'HARA WAR.

> {quote:title=bagladymimi wrote:}{quote}Tracey, I never saw The Scarlett O'Hara War. When did that air and who starred in it? I also love Hollywood history. And this movie sounds very interesting to me.

It was a TV movie from back in the 70's or 80's. It's based on part of the book Moviola by Garson Kanin. If you can get a hold of a copy of the book, it's worth a look. It's the story of Holywood told from the perspective of a fictional elderly studio head, someone like Adolph Zukor, who was in at the beginning and was still around past the end of the studio era. I know I watched the movie not too long ago (within the past year) but cannot remember where.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081458/

I'm torn on this one. The trailer almost had me with the clip of the Sherman brothers and I'm an unashamed fan of the original movie, on down to Dick VanDyck's ricidulous accent. But I've always had a hard time with the story of P. L. Travers throwing a hissy fit over the mistreatment of a fictional character when she insisted on separating infant twins in real life because she only wanted to adopt one of them (chosen on the advice of her astrologer.) So it's really hard to sympathize with her here.

Have to say selim, as far as I can tell from that trailer, I don't think the premise IS to "sympathize" with Travers, who it appears Emma Thompson is portraying as the rigid, standoffish and closed-minded ultimate Anglophile in this thing.

Nope, I'm getting the idea from that trailer that this film's main theme might possibly be to explore the differences or the "culture clash" between the stereotypical American commercial "crassness" of a "Disney-fied" world, and that of a more "orderly" world of old "English values".

> {quote:title=bagladymimi wrote:}{quote}Thanks for the info Tracey. I just ordered a used paperback of "Moviola" from Amazon for $.01 + shipping and handling. I really like the way Garson Kanin writes and am sure I will enjoy all of the stories.

It starts off oddly, but stick with it. It's worth it!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings