Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Remembering Fran?oise Dorl?ac (1942-1967)

jakeem

Forty-six years ago last month, French actress Françoise Dorléac died as the result of a one-vehicle auto accident not far from the coastal city of Nice. She was 25 years old.

Dorléac was the older sister (by 19 months) of Oscar-nominated actress Catherine Deneuve, who used their mother's maiden name professionally.

If she had lived, Dorléac would be 71 today. Of course, we'll never know if she would have rivaled her younger sister's greatness in the cinema in the long run (I definitely am looking forward to TCM's daylong Summer Under the Stars salute to Deneuve on Monday, August 12th). But Françoise did leave a substantial body of work -- involving both sides of the Atlantic -- before her untimely demise.

One of her best pictures, 1964's "La Peau douce" (or "The Soft Skin"), is being shown Friday night at 8 (Eastern Daylight Time) as part of TCM's monthlong retrospective of François Truffaut's works. The film stars Dorléac as a flight attendant who becomes involved in an ill-fated, adulterous affair with a married man (played by Jean Desailly).

If you're unfamiliar with Dorléac's career -- I've always considered her and her sister to be opposite sides of the same coin -- tonight's film may be a revelation for you.

Edited by: jakeem on Jul 19, 2013 4:03 PM

> {quote:title=finance wrote: }{quote}Could someone post photos of the two sisters?

I found this link, but I have no idea when or where the photo was taken. Dorléac is on the right.

http://theredlist.fr/media/database/muses/icon/cinematic_women/1960/francoise_dorleac/015_francoise_dorleac_theredlist.jpg

Edited by: jakeem on Jul 19, 2013 6:58 PM

I enjoyed The Soft Skin. You can see the resemblance between the two. I remember hearing about her death. What exactly happened? Did she run off the road? I've only seen one other film by her before Skin, but I cant remember what it was. What a tragedy. Who knows where her career could have gone?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings