Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Sunshine Boys

Unimpressed with TCM's saturday nite line-up (as usual) I decided to watch The Sunshine Boys on PBS which I had never taken the time to watch before. Terrible is all I gotta say. A good premise with lousy results. I'm no cinema verite expert so I don't know if the problem was the script or Herbert Ross' direction. George Burns is good as Al Lewis but Walter Matthau is too over-the-top cantankerous dumb as crap in his role of Willy Clark. Totally unfunny it was to me.

Gee, I'm surprised you felt this way about THE SUNSHINE BOYS. I remember it being well acted and a very funny premise. This movie was the first to address the lack of respect old people get in our society (& movies)

I debated whether to revisit it again on PBS too. But the lure of original series STAR TREK & MUNSTER GO HOME on MeTV won me over.

(how can you say Saturday offers zero good TV?)

Comedy is probably the most subjective genre in entertainment. More people are agreeable on drama than with what's funny. Like today, one of my favorite comedians is this guy named Jeselink, or something like that. Also, Jon Stewart and Steve Colbert crack me up. My wife HATES them. She did, however, nearly fall out of her chair when we went to a comedy club to see Richard Belzer 25 years ago. But didn't care for Tim Allen when we went to see HIM.

I thought "Will and Grace" was one of the UNfunniest shows on TV. My sister-in-law rolled on the floor every time it was on. And it seemed the REST of America thought it was funny, too.

So, there ya go.

*The Sunshine Boys* was not a full-blown comedy. It dealt also with, as Tiki indicated, the disrespect society had for seniors, the disintegration of long time relationships, and the notion that in spite of their professional disagreements, these two old performers had an awakening of a deep personal affection for one another.

In a PLAYBOY interview with Burns, shortly after the movie was released, Burns remarked humorously how impressed he was with Matthau as an actor. "He didn't need a lot of time getting into character as an old man" said Burns, "After he got the make-up on, I had to help him into his chair!"

I don't think Matthau was too "over the top" as a cantankerous old man. In fact, I had a couple of Uncles that made Willy look mild mannered!

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}Gee, I'm surprised you felt this way about THE SUNSHINE BOYS. I remember it being well acted and a very funny premise. This movie was the first to address the lack of respect old people get in our society (& movies)

>

> I debated whether to revisit it again on PBS too. But the lure of original series STAR TREK & MUNSTER GO HOME on MeTV won me over.

> (how can you say Saturday offers zero good TV?)

It probably is a better movie than I think it is if you don't look at it as a full blown laughfest. Matthau was good I just thought his Willy Clark was dumb as doo-doo. Jack Benny had just kicked off and that's why Burns got the role. In actuality Matthau was too young for the part George Burns being 24 years his senior.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings