Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quality control

drchilledair

The overall grammar, and pronunciation of English and other languages is getting totally out of control in the commentary between films. Especially French and Japanese. Almost as bad as Bob Dorian used to be on another movie channel. It really hit rock bottom the other eve when some Osborne wannabe pronounced the title of the Tati film as MON ON-CLAY (look it up). Didn't anyone go to college? Too much more of that and I'll have to switch away quickly before and after the films. ON-CLAY indeed! My cat Kuro can do better than that.

>"On-kla" sounds more like Dutch then French.

What do you think the guy is saying? Language-teaching recordings should go syllable by syllable.

And I don't think anyone would refer to his uncle as "this is the uncle".

And I really don't care how people pronounce it when they introduce the movie on TV.

By the way, if you ever want to know how to pronounce that town just south of El Paso, let me know. It is War-Ezz. :)

Some words are difficult to translate, i.e 'handschoenen' which means 'Gloves'. However if you translate the actual word to English it would be 'hand shoes', which of course makes no sense.

That is true of a lot of French words as well. I notice that whenever there is a French Movie with English sub titles.

I admire you for learning Chinese, that has to be awfully difficult ! :0

That reminds me of ol' Hendrik Antoon Lorentz. He was a Dutch physicist who had to write his books in German, because German was one of the main languages for physics papers and books at that time. I figure it must have been difficult to get all the spelling right. :)

I was going to ask if it was Dutch. But of course, we all know Dutch is just German with a bad accent. :-p

As for the OP, I'd like to see him/her try to pronounce names of actors or movie titles in, say, Russian (Ilya would be a good one) or Czech (Jiř?), or maybe Finnish, if there are any Yrj?s out there who acted. :-)